Hello Guest

Author Topic: Thinking of buying this grill  (Read 3517 times)

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile

Offline Superwhdm

• I'm a super welder husband dad man!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of buying this grill
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 09:59:23 AM »
http://www.sabergrills.com/product/5147/SABER-1670-ELITE-SSE

What makes it so special other than LED’s and stainless construction?  What is the attraction?  I cannot see spending that on a grill. But that’s me.  I would personally invest is a green egg and a cedar table for that much.  Bring out the old school Weber for a few hot dogs on the fly.
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural
Early morning or late night-Early Morning
Hard work or Easy Work-Smart Work

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 10:02:00 AM »
that dude is full of it! 

that grill is not worth the brand new $4k price tag!  here is their website:

http://www.sabergrills.com/product/5147/SABER-1670-ELITE-SSE

that thing does not even have cast burners!

if I was going to drop some Serious $$$ on a grill, I would (and am actually saving for this one which is $1400) get this one.  this one doese have cast burners.

http://www.blazegrills.com/product/3-burner-grill/

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:05:59 AM »
I have a gas grill that is over 10 years old, it has cast brass burners that you can remove and clean out, it has the IR Sear function for steaks, and the funny part was/is....my ex wife bought it at Walmart on clearance for like $250 (or something like that).  that thing is huge and still works like a charm to this day.  the only issue I have with it is the busted wheel that one of my STUPID lieutenants broke as he was dragging it across bricks. 
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 11:44:44 AM »
I have a gas grill that is over 10 years old, it has cast brass burners that you can remove and clean out, it has the IR Sear function for steaks, and the funny part was/is....my ex wife bought it at Walmart on clearance for like $250 (or something like that).  that thing is huge and still works like a charm to this day.  the only issue I have with it is the busted wheel that one of my STUPID lieutenants broke as he was dragging it across bricks.

I currently have a Walmart grill that's prob 8-10 years old & still operates fine. I just wanted something a little better quality. I will see it in Person on Sunday & see if it's worth it.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 11:53:48 AM »
I have a broil King which I bought at Lowe’s 3 years ago, I had a Weber before that & couldn’t pay the Weber price comparably. The broil king has worked flawless & it’s a great unit for the money.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 12:06:58 PM »
I wouldn’t pay that for it. Burners only have 10 year warranty. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 12:43:38 PM »
I wouldn’t pay $240 for it!  Then again the original purchase was probably descended from an inbred loyalist line who traces their heritage back to Benidict Arnold ........ Boston ..........
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 12:53:45 PM »
I wouldn’t pay that for it. Burners only have 10 year warranty. 

That's my only concern with it, aside from the price.

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »
I wouldn’t pay $240 for it!  Then again the original purchase was probably descended from an inbred loyalist line who traces their heritage back to Benidict Arnold ........ Boston ..........

Although I live in the Boston area, my parents are Portuguese so I should be good with the "inbred" aspect... :embarrassed:

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 01:05:08 PM »
Mr. Chicago over here has got some salty comments for Beantown, lookout! lol
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 01:29:36 PM »

Although I live in the Boston area, my parents are Portuguese so I should be good with the "inbred" aspect... :embarrassed:

Not a reference to you......the SELLER.......

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 01:34:58 PM »

Not a reference to you......the SELLER.......

I know.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 02:33:11 PM »

Hey, Chitcago was voted the "most corrupt city" in America this year....... a Proud history of Democratic Rule!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 05:23:34 PM »

Hey, Chitcago was voted the "most corrupt city" in America this year....... a Proud history of Democratic Rule!

let us all know how it goes when they come to take your guns away like they are trying to do in that city to your south.......

coming from the guy that lives way to close to seattle............. :laugh:

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 10:02:21 PM »
I’m in the process of giving them away........ :cry:

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 12:20:07 AM »
I’m in the process of giving them away........ :cry:

Yeah right!  If thats the case, ill drive east, you drive west and ill buy them all from you for  $1.......
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:36:38 AM by nmeyer414 »

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 07:35:46 AM »
Well, my ancestry got the best of me & I bought it. He was asking $2,400 but I ended up paying $1,800 for it. It was(barely) used as a demo unit & all the accessories that come with it were still wrapped up. Regarding the burners, even though the are tubular, they are almost twice as thick as a conventional tube one. Plus, I really like the fact that there will be no flare-ups with their design. All in all, I'm happy & believe it will last me a very long time.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »
Thanks for the update. Will need an AAR on the first few cooks with it

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 11:05:31 AM »
After going on vacation & then travelling for work, I finally got a chance to use it. You (I) really don't know how bad your old grill is until you use a higher end unit. Flare-ups are nearly impossible with it which is huge for me. I've cooked marinaded tips & pub burgers on it so far. Everything came out juicy & cooked perfectly. The sear is incredible. Even though the burners are only 8K btu each, I can get this grill to 900deg in 10 minutes. It's true when they claim a hotter temp while using way less fuel. This is by far the best grill I've owned.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »
Nate, I bought an island grill, sink, frig set from Lowes, the ones with granite tops. They were pretty H/D, and not very cheap(but China) and the cast iron burners rusted out within 3 years of occasional use. They were pretty thick also. The large diameter 304 grates also rusted (turns out they were not solid stainless) Now they don't sell that model anymore. urrr
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 06:05:40 PM »
Nate, I bought an island grill, sink, frig set from Lowes, the ones with granite tops. They were pretty H/D, and not very cheap(but China) and the cast iron burners rusted out within 3 years of occasional use. They were pretty thick also. The large diameter 304 grates also rusted (turns out they were not solid stainless) Now they don't sell that model anymore. urrr

that sucks!

have you talked to a local metal fab shop to see if they could fashion something up for you?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 06:07:42 PM »
LOL, Ken is the local fab shop isn't he?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 08:38:37 PM »
The grates would be simple to buy and cut to fit, if needed, but those large burners might be a whole different story. Just sucks because I hadn't even finished the courtyard, which I was designing around this setup. The sink has a set of burners and a griddle... never even fired up that section.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 10:22:48 PM »
Darn Ken, that's what you get for living in such a wet high humidity area. Must be all the salts in the soil that flies around as dust every time the wind blows. Lots to be said about the different types of stainless out there. My last grill (in Washington) was rusted by the time I got it out of the box and set up on the patio.

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 09:48:51 AM »

Most(if not all) grills from big box stores are a cheap grade of stainless. Although mine initially came with a hefty price tag, every metal part on it is 304.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 10:09:40 AM »
the good stainless is 316 which is actually food grade

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 10:14:46 AM »
Do they use 316 in grills?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 10:27:30 AM »
Do they use 316 in grills?

I don’t know honestly, however I used to cut stainless cooktops for high end commercial kitchen grills and we used 316 on those....

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 10:59:35 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen a grill for sale commercially constructed with 316L. Most cheap stainless grills are type 430.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 01:33:02 PM »
You know you are in trouble when the magnet sticks to your pretty new stainless grill.

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2020, 08:37:19 AM »
Well, it's been 2+ years later & this is still the best grill I've ever owned. I use it almost daily in the warmer months & have zero complaints. I had an issue with one of the LED bulbs that light up the knobs & called them. they sent me a replacement free of charge. The new bulb was a shade brighter than the rest so I called them back & they sent me all new bulbs free of charge. They never once asked me where I purchased the grill or how old it was. I'm very happy.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2020, 08:14:42 PM »
Glad to hear Doc. That’s where a lot of that extra money goes. Service after the sale is worth something.

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2020, 08:36:55 AM »
Glad to hear Doc. That’s where a lot of that extra money goes. Service after the sale is worth something.

It certainly is. Although the $4k+ pricetag may be out of the range for some, you cannot put a price on peace of mind...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 09:12:00 PM by Nate »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal