Hello Guest

Author Topic: Cobra CXT545  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
Cobra CXT545
« on: December 28, 2014, 04:07:27 PM »
The other day I ran down a mope who had just tried to steal a car. He had a walkie in his pocket, more than likely to keep comms with his drop off/pick up guy. I decided not to make a big deal about it in an effort to play Columbo. Maybe they would keep it up and I could get some good Intel on them. I had a fifty dollar academy card to burn so I went to see what I could find. Some great features on this unit are the ability to recharge it's nicad batteries or swap them out for alkalines. Secondary to that the charger cord is USB. So it will plug in to my solar panel charged. The reviews were pretty decent on them as well, citing a mile to a mile and a half in urban terrain and holds its charge for days even while on for excess periods of time. I had a set of Cobras, not sure on model, "over there" we used to keep tabs on haj early in the game. (Once they started getting frequent 556's to their cranium they wised up, only took a year) Anyways, they proved themselves rugged then. I'll bust them out of the packing and run them thru some tests when I go back to work. If nothing else they will be a good scanning tool and a weather radio.
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cobra CXT545
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 04:38:21 PM »
Excellent!
Yes, let us know how they fare on your testing
I have a set from a different manufacturer and I found their range to be very limited in trees and rolling tuckyland hills
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 06:05:27 PM »
Yes, I am in the market for a replacement pair.  I have a set that the girls use when we are camping for me to keep tabs on them when they are out of ear shot and out of sight (they are 9 and 11) and one went toes up recently.  They ate batteries like crazy (AAA) and rechargeable would be nice.  They were Midland and about $40 a pair.  I want a rugged set and don't mind spending a little more to get a good set. 
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 08:29:15 AM »
I've got a pair of similar radios from Midland for my two daughters, kept in their bugout bags.  I keep them on FRS channel 3 because it's a high power channel.  These radios will not work with GMRS repeaters although they do cover both GMRS and FRS bands.  The wife and I carry Baofeng UV-5R radios programmed with all our club repeater's frequencies, and keep the dual watch mode on FRS 3 so the kids can always break in if needed.  We've advised our HOA via the community website that FRS3 is our neighborhood emergency channel. 

If you haven't done so already, it's a good idea to let the people around you know how to get in touch via emergency comms.  People might end up sequestered in their homes, and the ability to talk from house to house, or even outside the community by repeater might be crucial when the SHTF.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal