Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide site, retirement site.  (Read 206599 times)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Hide site, retirement site.
« Reply #1450 on: January 14, 2019, 11:45:15 AM »
 :laugh:
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: January 14, 2019, 07:50:19 PM »
Mike, no UPS.  I have whole home surge protection and am working on auto switching back up generator set.

JR, camera's and access points are POE (power over ethernet) meaning they only require a single CAT6 connection with a 24v power injector, or a ethernet switch with POE capability like this one.

Ubiquity makes all the components and they all work together and can be configured and monitored remotely.  Highly recommend them.
Thank it sweet. As long as your equipment is tolerant of being dropped and then booting back up when the backup fires up you are good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now I’m looking at UPSs. Maybe just enough to keep it live during the xover. Power drops out all the time up there but since I have more invested now it makes more sense. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
Hide site, retirement site.
« Reply #1452 on: January 14, 2019, 09:28:25 PM »
Mike, no UPS.  I have whole home surge protection and am working on auto switching back up generator set.

JR, camera's and access points are POE (power over ethernet) meaning they only require a single CAT6 connection with a 24v power injector, or a ethernet switch with POE capability like this one.

Ubiquity makes all the components and they all work together and can be configured and monitored remotely.  Highly recommend them.
Thank it sweet. As long as your equipment is tolerant of being dropped and then booting back up when the backup fires up you are good.

Now I’m looking at UPSs. Maybe just enough to keep it live during the xover. Power drops out all the time up there but since I have more invested now it makes more sense. 

It doesn’t look like your equipment would draw a lot. Something like this should work.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=42-111-344

Good insurance.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:29:16 PM by cruizng »
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: January 15, 2019, 05:54:31 AM »
Perfect.  Saw that one on Amazon.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: January 20, 2019, 07:08:31 PM »
OK so installed software and booted up cameras and access points.  It’s an enterprise set up so it was a bit more intensive to get it going but the management of it is so easy.

I have 3 WiFi access points that are controlled from a web GUI and I can clone settings and update all the software from the web page and a click of the mouse.

Cameras are a little more complicated but essentially the same.  Can program for motion video recording and adjust sensitivity and area of the camera view that triggers motion.

Also have an app on the phone and iPad that gets motion alerts, can view all the cameras and view recorded events.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: January 20, 2019, 09:14:52 PM »
Those are some really clear camera images!!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: January 20, 2019, 09:57:23 PM »
And the garage is till cleaner than mine.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: January 20, 2019, 10:04:35 PM »
Yeah, the shop is a bit of a mess since I've been working on the casita.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: January 21, 2019, 08:48:56 AM »
Top notch setup! If the whole insurance thing doesn't work out you always have a job in the tech field!  :beercheers:

No rush but if you have a chance could you post up a component list unless that is classified. :)

I'm always looking for a nice camera setup.
Mike

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: January 21, 2019, 03:04:32 PM »
Ok here you go.

https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

I’m using the UniFi AC Lite.  They are POE and come with their own POE injector. They will mesh with each other and you can clone settings with a click of a button.

If you need a mesh network and you can’t get a CAT 6 cable to each point they have a repeating mesh network set up too.

I was able to put cable to each one with no problem but if you are in a big warehouse you can use a mesh/repeater set up.

So get the first one plugged in and powered up and then you download a UniFi software app to your computer and then access it on the network and set your SSID, password, etc.  Then everyone you add after that will show in the software utility and you just click “adopt” and then you can go in and select the first one to clone settings to.

For the security cameras I use the G3 Dome and the G3 bullets.  They make a all in one NVR that has all the software and hard drive on it and its about $300.  Or you can download the NVR software to a network computer and run it from there (I did this for the hide, the house in Houston I have the all in one NVR).  You can also download an app to your android or apple device and monitor your cams and get motion alerts.  The software will also email you alerts if it detects motion and it will auto record if you set it up that way.

More to come

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: January 21, 2019, 03:27:36 PM »
I’m also using the ubiquity POE switches to power everything. 

I also have the dongle that you plug into the network and then you can manage, upgrade and modify your settings from anywhere.

As soon as I upgrade the OS on the rack computer I built I will run Remote Desktop and be able to access files and manage the whole system from anywhere.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: January 21, 2019, 07:06:55 PM »
I’m also using the ubiquity POE switches to power everything. 

I also have the dongle that you plug into the network and then you can manage, upgrade and modify your settings from anywhere.

As soon as I upgrade the OS on the rack computer I built I will run Remote Desktop and be able to access files and manage the whole system from anywhere.

TRN.

I honestly never heard of Ubiquity hardware and I have been doing this a long time. Sounds like you have a great experience with. I will definitely check it out.

Thanks

Mike

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: January 21, 2019, 08:03:07 PM »
Interesting Charles, quick question do you find yourself logging in and looking at the live feeds often?

We had cameras setup at my old facilities (mainly to make sure automated machines were running 24-7). After leaving there I’m glad I don’t have cameras.

My new shop has them (whole facility does in fact) but I won’t download the app. John who owns the development obsesses over those cameras too....

New house is setup with amazon and ring on the front door which as you know can be expanded (not sure I like any of it, we’ll see)
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 22, 2019, 12:52:37 AM »
Think about all this fancy stuff and who can watch whats going on besides us? I really like the idea, but don't trust cloud stuff.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: January 22, 2019, 05:01:55 AM »
Got the shower sealed yesterday and ordered all the tile for the floor, shower and backsplash.

Supposedly the stairs will be done this Friday and I hope to get them installed this coming weekend.

Tile will be here on or about 1/30. It’ll really start looking close to finished when the floor goes down.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:24:28 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 22, 2019, 10:16:14 AM »
Been to Dachau?

Eekes!!!!

Looks like a gas chamber

But, yes, I know this is only inprocess and will arrive at something north of spectacular

Ya know, thinking about it, Tex, you have screwed yourself! :facepalm:
Ya, really

Unlike me, you never screw anything up. Your work is always top notch, better than imagined, over the top and surprising. :angel:

Mine is, well, I work on stuff

So we all have expectations of you completing something fit for the pages of "Southern Living" magazine.  :likebutton:

I pray for you to be comforted in the day when you finally (if ever) screw somethin' up. :rolleyes:

Oh what a sad that day will be :cry: :cry: :cry:

Good work!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 22, 2019, 11:29:39 AM »
Interesting Charles, quick question do you find yourself logging in and looking at the live feeds often?

We had cameras setup at my old facilities (mainly to make sure automated machines were running 24-7). After leaving there I’m glad I don’t have cameras.

My new shop has them (whole facility does in fact) but I won’t download the app. John who owns the development obsesses over those cameras too....

New house is setup with amazon and ring on the front door which as you know can be expanded (not sure I like any of it, we’ll see)

I think I have mentioned that I am not a fan of Siri, Ring, or any of the new device that listens to you 24X7X365... but here is a very good article to back that up...

You can put in any fake gmail address to read it.
https://www.theinformation.com/articles/at-rings-r-d-team-security-gaps-and-rookie-engineers?jwt=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJtdGNsZWF2ZXJAZ21haWwuY29tIiwiZXhwIjoxNTc5NzI0OTM2LCJuIjoiR3Vlc3QiLCJzY29wZSI6WyJzaGFyZSJdfQ.oROwA84pw7ujN0uYvliy5BS_M9izLkcBg986lSNOrqQ&unlock=ed6570bc58b449cf

Do you really want this person listening in on your house?

Mike

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: January 22, 2019, 03:32:46 PM »
Copy, one other question? Where did you get that picture of Ken?  :popcorn:

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: January 22, 2019, 04:44:55 PM »

Well... it is a long story... and I happened to be in AZ actually looking for a H rally when here comes Ken directing traffic and then discovers Trump WON! OMG the humanity of it all... I gave him a hanky and left.  :popcorn:

Wait... did Ken just hear me type that via my iPhone microphone...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 04:46:25 PM by cruizng »
Mike

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 23, 2019, 06:51:18 AM »
Been to Dachau?

Eekes!!!!

Looks like a gas chamber

But, yes, I know this is only inprocess and will arrive at something north of spectacular

Ya know, thinking about it, Tex, you have screwed yourself! :facepalm:
Ya, really

Unlike me, you never screw anything up. Your work is always top notch, better than imagined, over the top and surprising. :angel:

Mine is, well, I work on stuff

So we all have expectations of you completing something fit for the pages of "Southern Living" magazine.  :likebutton:

I pray for you to be comforted in the day when you finally (if ever) screw somethin' up. :rolleyes:

Oh what a sad that day will be :cry: :cry: :cry:

Good work!

No necessarily so, Don.  I just don't post the mistakes....except maybe that pond thing with mowers....

There is no doubt that if i were the subject of interest by some agency they could likely hack my camera system.  One reason only exterior cameras.  I don't want the chinese seeing me walking around naked in my house.....

I don't find myself checking cameras all that often.  Because they have motion detection, i get alerts if they detect motion and the sensitivity and area of detection can be adjusted.

Don, that shower is coated in a rubberized coating by KBRS, who also made the one piece composite showe pan.  Guaranteed leak proof.  There is fabric mesh seam tape that goes on all the seams and then you roll on the sealer and put about 3 coats on it and its essentially a monolithic rubberized box.  Even if water penetrates the grout or mortar, there is zero chance water reaches the stud cavity.  Once its dry you just tile right over it.  I spent a lot of money on the shower system because I've seem my fair share of poorly constructed showers and the damage they can do.  The 3x4 composite shower base kit alone was $600 but it will last longer than I will.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: January 23, 2019, 07:06:25 AM »
I picked up the Ubiquiti AC Pro just before Christmas after seeing what you were using. I had never heard of them before but after doing my research and looking at them, decided to give it a shot. So far I’m really happy with it. The range is better than my old three node meshed consumer grade network was. Setup was easy enough and POwer over Ethernet is definitely nice, as long as you can get cat6 to it you’re golden. It has given me better coverage in the whole house(~4700 sq ft) than I had before and the throughout I’m getting is much better. I’ll be picking up a couple more, probably the AC lite to extend the mesh into my garage and the back yard.

Are your cameras from ubiquiti as well?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: January 23, 2019, 08:23:30 AM »
Yes. Camera, WiFi and switches.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: January 23, 2019, 09:37:15 AM »
Ya know...

I'm thinkin' of throwin' the yellow flag on this one

Guys

What about it

Is that overly cruel or am I wrong

Spank him or let him run for a bit longer?? What do the menses say?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: January 23, 2019, 09:45:15 AM »

No necessarily so, Don.  I just don't post the mistakes....except maybe that pond thing with mowers....

Ah yes, I forgot about that noteworthy event

There is no doubt that if i were the subject of interest by some agency they could likely hack my camera system.  One reason only exterior cameras.  I don't want the chinese seeing me walking around naked in my house.....

Nor would we!

I don't find myself checking cameras all that often.  Because they have motion detection, i get alerts if they detect motion and the sensitivity and area of detection can be adjusted.

Don, that shower is coated in a rubberized coating by KBRS, who also made the one piece composite showe pan.  Guaranteed leak proof.  There is fabric mesh seam tape that goes on all the seams and then you roll on the sealer and put about 3 coats on it and its essentially a monolithic rubberized box.  Even if water penetrates the grout or mortar, there is zero chance water reaches the stud cavity.  Once its dry you just tile right over it.  I spent a lot of money on the shower system because I've seem my fair share of poorly constructed showers and the damage they can do.  The 3x4 composite shower base kit alone was $600 but it will last longer than I will.

^^^^^ See! See what I'm talking about^^^^ You and Duane cosmic brothers or something? ;-))

[/quote]

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: January 23, 2019, 09:27:24 PM »
I think we all subscribe to the “buy once, cry once” mentality in one way or another. Be it trucks (and the parts for them), tools, or quality building materials. Spending a bit more will often save you some hassle later.

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: January 25, 2019, 02:25:29 PM »
Well finally got this today. Will go in this weekend and then it’s on to tile

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: January 25, 2019, 02:59:47 PM »
It looks a little twisted guy.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: January 25, 2019, 03:58:38 PM »
Can't wait to see it up!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: January 25, 2019, 06:17:41 PM »
I’m still wondering how I’m going to spiral it through the 3’0 door opening.  We shall see

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: January 25, 2019, 07:48:59 PM »
I’m still wondering how I’m going to spiral it through the 3’0 door opening.  We shall see

Running start and constant momentum usually helps. I mean the careful and skillful application of twisting and retwisting.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: January 25, 2019, 08:01:35 PM »
Bobby I thought you would say drop it in from a high altitude! Will keep you posted. 

May require a cutting torch and a BFH

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: January 25, 2019, 08:15:39 PM »
How much you think that screw weighs?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: January 25, 2019, 09:15:35 PM »
#300ish. Got two buddies coming to help. Just stopped and bought 3 ribeyes. Gonna feed em good.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: January 25, 2019, 09:52:32 PM »
Screw it through the door!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: January 26, 2019, 02:36:51 AM »
We wanna see video. Maybe re-aim one of those fancy surveillance cameras toward the action?

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: January 26, 2019, 07:04:12 AM »
Bobby I thought you would say drop it in from a high altitude!

Well that fancy chunk of steel falling from high altitude and reaching terminal velocity would easily get into the casita via the roof, however you'll have to fix the roof and order a new stairway lol.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: January 26, 2019, 06:47:28 PM »
A lot of mental drama for nothing.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: January 26, 2019, 07:27:41 PM »
Turned out nice Charles.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: January 26, 2019, 07:40:30 PM »
Sweet, guess it fit through the door.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: January 26, 2019, 07:48:06 PM »
Thanks.. it wast bad at all.  Got it plumbed and then drilled the holes for the landing to bolt to the second floor.

The railing is a little longer than my wood blocking on the floor. I’ll have to replace that one pice with a longer piece and then bolt it down.  Not a big deal at all.  Really sturdy and decent sized.

Made ribeyes for my boys that came and helped and then we shot a bit of steel and then made a fire and drank whiskey.  All in all a good day

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: January 26, 2019, 08:47:18 PM »
Looks really good. Glad it went in smooth.

Mike

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: January 26, 2019, 09:51:30 PM »
Beautiful.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: January 27, 2019, 12:50:51 AM »
That does look pretty awesome

What are you going to put on the treads?  I ask because I would fall down them slick looking steps

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: January 27, 2019, 08:09:47 AM »
I had that conversation with the stair guy and he said no diamond plate because it actually makes less traction because your only gripping the raised area with much less surface area.  If grip becomes a problem I’ll put grip tape strips on it. I haven’t tried it in socks but with shoes it’s no problem

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: January 27, 2019, 10:18:09 AM »
The local HD sells a sticky tape stuff for stairs.   I am prone to slipping on all types of stairs, breaking hand rails, usually in a bath towel only. So on.   Size 13 feet don’t fit stair real well. 

Shoes would make a large difference for sure

Next is tile?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: January 27, 2019, 10:44:45 AM »
Yes. Ordering the toilet today from Lowe’s. Tile is supposed to be here 1/30. I’m paying the labor on the floor but doing the shower and backsplash myself.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: January 27, 2019, 04:19:21 PM »
Tex, I actually think I had that exact spiral staircase in my Tennessee house. I don't remember ever slipping or falling on it. Open floor plan and had a mezzanine loft above the kitchen that, that staircase serviced. I don't thing it had any friction surface at all. I'd bet you will be OK with that as is

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: January 27, 2019, 06:00:10 PM »
Nice, staircase looks good, glad you didn’t have any problems getting it in.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: February 02, 2019, 07:45:19 PM »
Ok. Tile guy is three weeks out so I’m working on shower and cabinets.

Installed shower seat with thin set

Got the face frames done on the cabinets. Now on to doors and drawers.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: February 02, 2019, 08:37:23 PM »
On the staircase, is there a brace under the lower step after the floor?

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal