Hello Guest

Author Topic: Project: "Don't do this at home"  (Read 33055 times)

OldKooT

Re: Project: "Don't do this at home"
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »
Found another picture...it's a Black car and she's always washing it so I snap pics...most I best not post LoL Anyway...this shot was taken right after we took the Brembo Brakes off the car tossed on some stock Stang brakes and wheels she scored off CL and went grudge racing at a $500 a run event. You have to admit it could pass for a stock V6 car... it's very quiet as modified Stangs go...still rocking the OEM Mufflers.

As it sits in the picture she embarrassed and took their money from a half dozen Hellcats and two Vipers.

And yes TRN the calipers need paint LoL  We haven't decided if we are going to leave the Brembo's off the car. It stops fine drag racing and street driving, it seems to autocross just fine as well. In fact in some real unofficial stomp on the brakes hard at speed type tests, we can't tell a measurable difference. The Brembo's do however weigh much more and look cooler. But she really likes the V6 look...

I imagine when she tosses on the super snake hood she scored and front bumper...the Brembos will end up back on the car.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2017, 12:34:35 PM »
Looks like she likes it and what you have done. Sounds like a fun car.

Now you have to have a picture in there where she not all bent over it but is actually happy you are taking the picture.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2017, 12:48:05 PM »
LoL...good luck on that...she hates her picture taken. I sometimes snap a few when she's washing it and she's not looking. But she's gotten wise to that so....

Somewhere there is a pretty good video of her I shot doing a good imitation of a drift racer at the autocross track. She was frustrated she couldn't get the car to stay settled through a switch back type deal and she finally on her last run got ornery. She used the throttle to steer it quite nicely. She set the car up before the first turn with lots of tire spin...and slammed it into the corner and right into the next corner....It was one of those moments where I was proud of her...while calculating how much rubber she just removed from some expensive tires. If she hasn't deleted it yet maybe I can find it and post it....but when she turned 43 she decided no more pics LoL

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 04, 2017, 12:55:20 PM »
I like

Although I don't like Fords

Used to

Once owned a real 1970 Boss 302

Which was at one time the NHRA drag car which I was told was a record holder

I found it under a bunch of straw and parts in a barn, faded school bus yellow, carb off the manifold and mice living in the intake runners.

So, ya, have a soft spot for the Boss 302

How's the engine holding up in that thing? Rings?

She has to be RPM'ing the thing and all those back to back races.

Frankly, I'd be a bit scared at this time. Want to pull the motor, pull it down for a good inspection and fresh rings/bearings
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:01:31 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2017, 02:14:40 PM »
Well Don.... that's a long story.

It's a stock Boss 302 Coyote block. It was very carefully blueprinted by yours truly. Stock crank...Eagle H beam Rods, CP Pistons, 11:1 actual compression ratio. Billet oil pump gears, and arp fasteners. The heads are Boss Coyote...CNC ported by a good friend who almost forced me into letting him play with them...stock shimmed valve springs and valves also. So... in effect a almost stock bottom end with some reliability upgrades. And a almost stock top end as well....

She spins it 7200rpm *usually which for a Coyote is conservative. So far no oil consumption or unusual issues. Given the engine has seen VERY close to 4 digit rear wheel numbers on a max E85 tune...the "around 750rwp" tune it usually runs is rather low stress. At least in theory...

Much less stressful on me anyway than the 6 dyno runs to 8400rpm we played with this fall. But WOW at how much HP is hidden between 7200 and 8400 rpm...and it's a head rush to know with a tank of E85 a laptop and some slicks...mid 9's are a reality.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 04, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »
Well how about a link? The one with her singing was funny. Shy my but!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 04, 2017, 09:32:32 PM »
i bet she sounds like a jet engine with a pissed off coyote grumbling underneath..

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2017, 09:32:56 PM »
the car.. not mrs kay.

hahah

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 04, 2017, 09:58:00 PM »

Frankly, I'd be a bit scared at this time. Want to pull the motor, pull it down for a good inspection and fresh rings/bearings and let it sit unfinished for years.....

I'm fired.....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

OldKooT

« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2017, 07:16:52 AM »
LoL.....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2017, 12:46:55 PM »

It's a stock Boss 302 Coyote block. It was very carefully blueprinted by yours truly. Stock crank...Eagle H beam Rods, CP Pistons, 11:1 actual compression ratio. Billet oil pump gears, and arp fasteners. The heads are Boss Coyote...CNC ported by a good friend who almost forced me into letting him play with them...stock shimmed valve springs and valves also. So... in effect a almost stock bottom end with some reliability upgrades. And a almost stock top end as well....

She spins it 7200rpm *usually which for a Coyote is conservative. So far no oil consumption or unusual issues. Given the engine has seen VERY close to 4 digit rear wheel numbers on a max E85 tune...the "around 750rwp" tune it usually runs is rather low stress. At least in theory...

Much less stressful on me anyway than the 6 dyno runs to 8400rpm we played with this fall. But WOW at how much HP is hidden between 7200 and 8400 rpm...and it's a head rush to know with a tank of E85 a laptop and some slicks...mid 9's are a reality.

OK, copy that

If you were in that bottom end already, We can rest assured it was done correctly

Norm, I am floored by the numbers these motors these days are capable of!

Nearing 1000 RWHP if beyond comprehension. That's 1200 or so at the crank, unbelievable

But having said that I remember once watching this project build. Point was to see if you could take a junkyard run of the mill 5.3 LS style motor and get it to make 1000HP on a stand before grenading it.
So I believe the plan was to test it, replace the head bolts, pull the pan for inspection, small cam, then add a turbo.
And the test began...
It made 500, 600, 700, and they thought it was going to fly apart, so the decision was made to push it to when it broke.
Injectors, valve springs, more boost, less timing, better gas, and 800, then 900, and then it produced 1000!
A used 5.3L Chevy truck engine!!!!!
Not satisfied they ran the boost up even more, and it passed 1100HP!!!!
They pulled it again and it made a documented 1267HP
and
It didn't explode!

So these guys pulled it down for a close inspection of the pistons and rings and rods and so forth.

That's when they made the discovery that sent this thing into orbit.
It wasn't a 5.3!
Nope,
IT was a 4.8L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2017, 12:48:56 PM »
Oh, might as well announce here as opposed in another forum

TexasRedNeck is no longer with us....  :shocked: :knucklehead:

OldKooT

« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »
Don.... Is this a bad time to mention Stewie needs a truck?  :cheesy:

I really can't be fired since I have no responsibility here...but if it helps, you can fire that fella In hippy land in my place LoL Word has it he's likely welding in his Jesus sandals right now on a Jeep.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2017, 01:30:52 PM »

OK, copy that

If you were in that bottom end already, We can rest assured it was done correctly

Norm, I am floored by the numbers these motors these days are capable of!

Nearing 1000 RWHP if beyond comprehension. That's 1200 or so at the crank, unbelievable

But having said that I remember once watching this project build. Point was to see if you could take a junkyard run of the mill 5.3 LS style motor and get it to make 1000HP on a stand before grenading it.
So I believe the plan was to test it, replace the head bolts, pull the pan for inspection, small cam, then add a turbo.
And the test began...
It made 500, 600, 700, and they thought it was going to fly apart, so the decision was made to push it to when it broke.
Injectors, valve springs, more boost, less timing, better gas, and 800, then 900, and then it produced 1000!
A used 5.3L Chevy truck engine!!!!!
Not satisfied they ran the boost up even more, and it passed 1100HP!!!!
They pulled it again and it made a documented 1267HP
and
It didn't explode!

So these guys pulled it down for a close inspection of the pistons and rings and rods and so forth.

That's when they made the discovery that sent this thing into orbit.
It wasn't a 5.3!
Nope,
IT was a 4.8L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1213tr-vortec-5-3l-big-bang/

Read the same article a few months back!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2017, 01:46:30 PM »

I really can't be fired since I have no responsibility here...but if it helps, you can fire that fella In hippy land in my place LoL Word has it he's likely welding in his Jesus sandals right now on a Jeep.

I heard that & I upgraded to tennis shoes today as it's 7 degrees out, taking way too much welding spatter to keep them toes nice n cozy..... :shocked:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2017, 04:20:28 PM »

bahahahahahah. Dang, if you can tolerate Shawn, I KNOW you can tollerate Charles!!

edit: reason? I'm still an idiot
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 06:10:13 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2017, 05:11:17 PM »
bahahahahahah. Dang, if you can tolerate Shawn, I KNOW you can tollerate Charles!!

Ken, don't you have a loser to console?????
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2017, 05:52:04 PM »

btw, that was a 4.8 chebby that pulled those numbers. I posted the article a while back....somewhere.

Probably where I read it.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »
Oh, Tate, I didn't see your post up there.

The link you posted is a 5.3...I haven't seen that one. Friggin awesome for sure!

Now I have to edit my last post because I didn't see where Don showed that it turned out to be a 4.8 after teardown. maybe he's smarter than I give him credit for!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2017, 06:41:48 PM »
And see I thought the article was about building up a 6.0 and turned out to be a 5.3L but then again, I thought my kids aveo was a chevy at one point...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2017, 07:58:55 PM »

Call it poor judgement on your part

You're banned too!

Go join the other people that messed with me!

See, guess I told him!

OldKooT

« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2017, 08:01:39 PM »
I might get promoted yet.  :grin:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2017, 08:04:53 PM »
I might get promoted yet.  :grin:
What are you doin' postin?

I thought you were banned?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2017, 08:05:49 PM »
Did I get that wrong, about that 5.3 being a 4.8?

CRS again...

or CGTR

OldKooT

« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2017, 08:13:26 PM »
As much fun as all this new technology can be...I am looking forward to the M37 no technology build. It won't have 1000hp or fancy gadgets...but it will have what I cherish most in a truck....function.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »

CRS again...

or CGTR

Nope....I read it too....totally insane that it was a 4.8

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2017, 08:48:13 PM »
As much fun as all this new technology can be...I am looking forward to the M37 no technology build. It won't have 1000hp or fancy gadgets...but it will have what I cherish most in a truck....function.

this is going to be a cool truck..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2017, 01:44:32 PM »

CRS again...

or CGTR

Nope....I read it too....totally insane that it was a 4.8

You don't need to be old to catch a case of CRS...

OldKooT

« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2017, 11:12:28 AM »
OK wow over 120 days.... time just keeps on ticking. (likely a song in there)

So.......HELLO everyone, been a while. Hope you have all been keeping well and prospering. It's been a busy spring and summer. Lots of projects (none of them mine) Graduated another daughter from HS, so down to two left at home now. The eldest son's house is built for the most part, next seasons wood has been cut and split. I feel like it's time to get some of my chosen chores completed.

Oh yeah this is a thread about Patch, my loyal and mistreated (forget what year it is) Dodge pickup. It hasn't been on the road hardly at all. The last time I drove it was long enough ago that It still had the plow on it. I remember this because it had almost no brakes and I would use the plow to slow down on gravel roads. (slick feature BTW)

So recently like maybe a month or less ago my wife decided she wanted a new Mustang. So we returned her car to OEM and she sold it for what she paid for it somehow. And the search was on for a replacement...she finally found a 2017 she wanted and she bought it with 7 miles on it. She has been ordering parts for it since she bought it. So BEFORE I get volunteered to completely tear apart and rebuild a brand new car...PATCH. (thought I got distracted didn't you?)

The plan is o go to Wisconsin the end of June, retrieve a old 78 Bronco that is peacefully rusting there and haul it home. The challenge is....we are going to take patch and my featherlight which is about in the same state of disrepair as the truck.  Next post...I will lay out the plan.

OldKooT

« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2017, 11:26:03 AM »
Trucks current status.

No brakes to speak of.
It leaks almost everything.
The entire pickup bed is falling off.
Something inside smells "not good"
About 14" of slop in the steering.
It does run, I verified this and the bad smell inside about a hour ago.

I have one week, or maybe 10 days to cobble it together for this adventure. I have a budget on this build somewhere between $50 and $75 bucks.

So gentleman..... hold ma beer n watch this.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2017, 11:28:05 AM »
This is going to be good.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2017, 11:29:37 AM »
A Norm sighting!
Glad to hear all is well.

Holding beer, and waiting...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2017, 12:56:41 PM »
oh my...............here we go!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2017, 02:14:42 PM »
Where is my oversized popcorn emoji?......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2017, 03:31:31 PM »
Waitin' with baited breath!  :popcorn:
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 20, 2017, 03:05:48 AM »
Waitin' with baited breath!  :popcorn:

That could be the smell her was referring to..... (not yours, but "bait breath") haha

$50 to $75 that's a lot of duct tape. I know you have plenty of baling wire around so that's a freebie.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2017, 05:17:12 AM »
Sweet, a Norm sighting and a project!

Maybe drag the trailer for brakes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Warm there? Been over a 100 here for a few days. Was 111 parked under a tree today.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 20, 2017, 07:53:18 AM »
Glad to see you're still ticking Norm. Sounds you have been busy. Your ears must be burning once in a while when someone has a engine question.  :beercheers:

Happy to see you and the family are doing well!
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

OldKooT

« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2017, 11:02:32 AM »
Well yesterday could have been a bit more productive. We did manage to remove the farmer tank, tool box, and the entire bed of the truck. Kay and I then drove it to town.... because we could. The drive was a test of the brakes...I smacked the rear antilock controller with a skid loader bucket and it now has rear brakes.... surprise!!! Still no front brakes....caliper failures I am sure.

I did snap some pictures, but they are on Kays phone so it can wait. Today's goals are to test fit the 1964 bed and get a grasp of whats required for installation. 

IN other news... when you have no weight on the rear, and accelerate briskly like you normally would away from a stop sign. Do not assume the transmission is slipping as you accidentally weenie burn a block and a half of rubber off your mud grip tire.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 20, 2017, 12:02:58 PM »
I used to keep a few hundred pounds of sand bags in the bed of my 77 so it handled better.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »
I used to keep a few hundred pounds of sand bags in the bed of my 77 so it handled better.

He has no bed at the moment though ;)
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2017, 05:39:14 PM »

He has no bed at the moment though ;)

That was my point. How light the rears are with a bed, so I adjusted.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2017, 09:48:34 AM »
Update: Where to begin...

Patch: the lift pump died. I took the doors off Patch and put them on a club cab gasser, and have been using that. Patch has been resting comfortably while life keeps me busy, so it's future is uncertain.

Anvil: got a lot more use this summer. Like 10k miles or so. Other than a recently developed small injection pump leak, it has done all that's been asked of it.

Kay's Mustang got the most attention. Autocross, drags, just driving..lots of subtle under the skin suspension mods, just drove it to church yesterday. Winter being almost here I imagine it will get little use now tell spring. Kays been making noise of selling it and buying a Vette....who knows with her. It has a whopping 6k miles or so on it these days.

Kay and her oldest daughter bought a 2015 Crew Cab Eco Boost F150 4x4.... it's almost everything I despise in a truck.. heated seats/leather, gadgets, technology. It gets the worst mileage towing of any vehicle I have owned EVER. Short little box on it makes it a girly truck. It does have 34.5" rubber, a locking rear axle and despite it's appetite for fuel when towing....it can haul 10K lbs at 75 mph rather easily.  It's growing on me a little....

The newest member of the fleet is a 1981 Chevy Standard cab heavy K10. Complete with a nice functional steel flat bed, a 383 small block and a 4speed. It needs a flywheel to be driven....so maybe soon I will have a chance to make that happen and then who knows what we will do with it. The plan as of now is to make it run and sell it. Before Kay gets any ideas and decides she needs a Cummins powered Chevy.

I have an entire house tore apart in the middle of dry walling/electrical upgrades/flooring I am suppose to be working on. Too many irons in the fire ATM

In the addition to all the above going on, I am trying to find time to put together a new "shop" in a building in town. Roughly 28' x 35' Nice flat floor, large garage door and lighting...its basically bare. I need to wire up a welder outlet, put a air compressor in there and I suppose I could get some work done. We did move some of the tool/equipment down there a few weeks ago. At the moment it's keeping Anvil and the Chevy out of the weather...that's about it.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2017, 10:41:09 AM »
I'm concerned Norm

First for Kay...All this fast kar talk is unsettling. No future in it. Same as a boat (Hole in the water filled with money) same-same with an airplane. Question with respect to an airplane, how do you make a small fortune? Answer: Start with a large one!

All this stress is not good for your heart. Neither are the 12 packs of smokes you process a day!

And it is clear to me that you two are all disoriented. Buying a Ford...and a skinny half ton...that burns gas...that is a half ton...that sports a glove box for a bed, that, worst of all, you are warming up to. Well I hope you're sittin' on the radiator, bueause nothing else makes sense to me

So pull it back together and get engaged.

We could all get back to NN (Normal Norm, or norm,normal) Now pulling the doors off your truck to create something else to drive instead of fixing the flat on the former, now, that's NN, the one I like.

But with Kay drivin kars, ford cars, gas burnin kars, not involved in buying another garage or barn, and you wafflin' with all this weird stull, well, it's just unsettling

I want to hear about the cops being called for a stolen boat, only for it to turn up buried in that partially fallin down barn (That's a shed, right?). Readin' that makes my quoffee go down normally with no chance of me coughing it up over my freshly laundered duluth flannel.

So, for my sake, for the sake or NORMalcy, get it back together my long lost farmin' friend (FF)

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2017, 10:58:36 AM »
Update: Where to begin...

Patch: the lift pump died. I took the doors off Patch and put them on a club cab gasser, and have been using that. Patch has been resting comfortably while life keeps me busy, so it's future is uncertain.

Anvil: got a lot more use this summer. Like 10k miles or so. Other than a recently developed small injection pump leak, it has done all that's been asked of it.

Kay's Mustang got the most attention. Autocross, drags, just driving..lots of subtle under the skin suspension mods, just drove it to church yesterday. Winter being almost here I imagine it will get little use now tell spring. Kays been making noise of selling it and buying a Vette....who knows with her. It has a whopping 6k miles or so on it these days.

Kay and her oldest daughter bought a 2015 Crew Cab Eco Boost F150 4x4.... it's almost everything I despise in a truck.. heated seats/leather, gadgets, technology. It gets the worst mileage towing of any vehicle I have owned EVER. Short little box on it makes it a girly truck. It does have 34.5" rubber, a locking rear axle and despite it's appetite for fuel when towing....it can haul 10K lbs at 75 mph rather easily.  It's growing on me a little....

The newest member of the fleet is a 1981 Chevy Standard cab heavy K10. Complete with a nice functional steel flat bed, a 383 small block and a 4speed. It needs a flywheel to be driven....so maybe soon I will have a chance to make that happen and then who knows what we will do with it. The plan as of now is to make it run and sell it. Before Kay gets any ideas and decides she needs a Cummins powered Chevy.

I have an entire house tore apart in the middle of dry walling/electrical upgrades/flooring I am suppose to be working on. Too many irons in the fire ATM

In the addition to all the above going on, I am trying to find time to put together a new "shop" in a building in town. Roughly 28' x 35' Nice flat floor, large garage door and lighting...its basically bare. I need to wire up a welder outlet, put a air compressor in there and I suppose I could get some work done. We did move some of the tool/equipment down there a few weeks ago. At the moment it's keeping Anvil and the Chevy out of the weather...that's about it.

Well Norm I'm glad to see you haven't slowed down any. Nice to see you on here again!
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2017, 11:42:52 AM »
Hey Norm!! Sorry for the addition of the ponys to your fleet, but what the hay, can't be any worse than owning Dodges!! :pokeNorm

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2017, 01:06:55 PM »
At least the new truck has twin turbos!

Please don't tell me in all that "stuff" you got a flywheel can't be found?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2017, 10:18:27 PM »
At least the new truck has twin turbos!

Please don't tell me in all that "stuff" you got a flywheel can't be found?
I'm sure there is one or two in there...
The "found" part is likely the trick...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

OldKooT

« Reply #198 on: December 05, 2017, 09:44:39 AM »
I do have a flywheel...probably a couple. Years ago I bought like 300 or so flywheels at a salvage yard auction. Which turned out to be a better investment than the 400 or so hub caps I suspect.

But the local machine shop guy quoted me $75 to resurface it and such...$80 at autozone for a new replacement. I will likely go with the latter, since it saves me having to explain why I own a Chevy to people I actually know.

Kay seems to think she wants to "see it have a good home" so I suggested I could let it sit out behind a barn which is in my opinion a great place for said truck... she didn't agree. So I suspect a "good home" in her mind, is her driving it.

I am hoping when I remove the engine It has bent rods a busted crank and a reground Ford camshaft. But since last time I heard it run it ran fine....I am sure I won't get that lucky.

I don;t know why this is happening....

OldKooT

« Reply #199 on: December 06, 2017, 09:15:39 AM »
This is the Chevy and the new "shop"

Remember when engines looked like this?

Interior...

anyone need one of these?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:19:35 AM by OldKooT »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal