Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide Site/Bug Out Location Construction, Part 6  (Read 41065 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug Out Location Construction, Part 6
« Reply #250 on: January 24, 2021, 05:12:39 PM »
Maybe a locked gate ahead sign at the turnaround. Just saying you have a better chance of gate staying in place if you provide easy turnaround.

Not my property.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 25, 2021, 06:57:03 AM »
Are you thinking pure bred Wagyu or "American Wagyu?  American is a traditional breed such has Angus bred to a Wagyu bull. They calf easier and grow out a little faster and cheaper. Pure bred are pretty flighty. They can spook easy but once they get settled and are comfortable with their surroundings they calm down.

If you are thinking you want to sell to the public there is a ton of paperwork. Selling to friends and family is no problem.

On that note, the processor cost our client a lot of money. A few weeks ago they pulled a couple fats.  A red Angus and a Wagyu cross. The Angus was sold to another gentleman and the wagyu was supposed to brought home and sold commercially.  They mislabeled it. This guy got Wagyu for Angus price. Now Logan got stuck with all this Angus labeled as Wagyu and cant sell it. He dont want to sell it. Hes not in the Angus business. He sells Wagyu. The only reason he even had the Angus is its the last of his old heard that he phased out. So we picked it up for $2300. Processed and delivered.  With strict instructions not share it with anyone.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 25, 2021, 02:24:21 PM »
Are you thinking pure bred Wagyu or "American Wagyu?  American is a traditional breed such has Angus bred to a Wagyu bull. They calf easier and grow out a little faster and cheaper. Pure bred are pretty flighty. They can spook easy but once they get settled and are comfortable with their surroundings they calm down.

If you are thinking you want to sell to the public there is a ton of paperwork. Selling to friends and family is no problem.

On that note, the processor cost our client a lot of money. A few weeks ago they pulled a couple fats.  A red Angus and a Wagyu cross. The Angus was sold to another gentleman and the wagyu was supposed to brought home and sold commercially.  They mislabeled it. This guy got Wagyu for Angus price. Now Logan got stuck with all this Angus labeled as Wagyu and cant sell it. He dont want to sell it. Hes not in the Angus business. He sells Wagyu. The only reason he even had the Angus is its the last of his old heard that he phased out. So we picked it up for $2300. Processed and delivered.  With strict instructions not share it with anyone.

I think I was talking about the American Wagyu.
This is all new to me at this point and I am currently working on the business plan for the farm. I am making a proposal to buy 78 more acres that are on mmy backside (south) and lay pretty flat. What's all overgrown with cedars will restore to some great flat fields with a couple of ponds. If I could get 30-40 cows working on the then 160-170 acres, I think I'd be in pretty good shape.
I am making connections with the KY government tax and Ag departments. I plan to use a lot of their programs available to we "New" farmers. Studying this stuff has been a real process to be sure!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 25, 2021, 04:01:09 PM »
I admire your gumption. You have a lot of work ahead of you. When it comes time for breeding stock I can hook you up with some pure bred registered wagyu bulls.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 25, 2021, 04:28:29 PM »
I admire your gumption. You have a lot of work ahead of you. When it comes time for breeding stock I can hook you up with some pure bred registered wagyu bulls.
OK, I'll keep that in mind

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 25, 2021, 07:12:30 PM »
Glad to see yo have not been idle on it. Someone started a hemp farm near my place, went bust from what I can see.

You have a foundation with basement right? Can you build on that? What is going on with the well, cleaned up and usable?

Good and bad on the road, now people will just drive by.

Pictures?
No one can just drive by as it were. The entrance to the place still is not evidient at all, you'd have to see it to understand, I suppose.

Well just cleaned up, not used yet. I get more rain water than I can use and about to catch it off the shed/house as well.

I tore the basement if you could call it that with the excavator and filled all that in. Thought was that someday, I may dig it all back out to build a proper house, but until then it's growing grass.

Hemp, I don't know enough about it to comment, just that it is a wanted cash crop, right up there with the Lilac for the pharmaceutical industry.

Selling hemp for CBD production will get you a healthy does of government oversight at your location. just putting that out there. It would have to be classified as non medicinal and even then you'd probably still get some nose pokin.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 25, 2021, 10:23:00 PM »
Glad to see yo have not been idle on it. Someone started a hemp farm near my place, went bust from what I can see.

You have a foundation with basement right? Can you build on that? What is going on with the well, cleaned up and usable?

Good and bad on the road, now people will just drive by.

Pictures?
No one can just drive by as it were. The entrance to the place still is not evidient at all, you'd have to see it to understand, I suppose.

Well just cleaned up, not used yet. I get more rain water than I can use and about to catch it off the shed/house as well.

I tore the basement if you could call it that with the excavator and filled all that in. Thought was that someday, I may dig it all back out to build a proper house, but until then it's growing grass.

Hemp, I don't know enough about it to comment, just that it is a wanted cash crop, right up there with the Lilac for the pharmaceutical industry.

Selling hemp for CBD production will get you a healthy does of government oversight at your location. just putting that out there. It would have to be classified as non medicinal and even then you'd probably still get some nose pokin.
Considering the size of the crop, I wouldn't expect much if any oversight. I already allow the Sherriff and Local LEO guys out there any time they want to visit/shoot. The Tuck is different. Not much light from the government reaches the back woods where the farm is.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 25, 2021, 10:37:24 PM »
Until,,,,,

I hear there is way to hide your property from google earth, need to look into that more.

Now if the drone issue can be handled, they look at everything!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 05, 2021, 11:04:10 PM »
Forging ahead with turning the place into a place to live and produce food and income.

I find myself in a pretty sweet spot. I do not have a mortgage, the farm is completely paid off. I own some of the equipment and will soon own all of it free and clear of any debt. My property taxes remain low in the $500 range and now most of the infrastructure has been built in. I lack only some fencing, pond improvement and a gate or two and I'll be up and running with cattle.

This puts me in the sweet spot, because with a supporting income from investments, Army retirement, social security and other sources, I am under no pressure to have to make any money at all on the place. That will allow me to ease into this new venture without the pressure of keeping things in the black.

I have applied for and been awarded my ag fuel tax exemption. I can now legally buy fuel at reduced prices. I can make other purchases tax free as well and when tax exemption numbers come available in Kentucky in 2021, I am already in queue to get one. It turns out there is a lot of grant money out there and I will be seeking a grant for fencing, and another to buy more land. Yep, you heard that right, the US of A congress actually has money to give to farmers who are just starting who want or need to increase their property size.

I am looking to add 78 acres if this works out.

What else...Well, I traded the John Deere mobile leak for a Kioti full size Ag tractor, and I think I am going to be selling my 2500 Chevy and purchasing a proper 3500 or 4500 truck to handle the bigger hauling chores. Finally we have started looking into cattle purchase. It seems that we would do better to purchase a small herd of six or so cows to start. More on this in the summer when I should be ready to take them on.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 06, 2021, 07:51:55 AM »
I’m keenly curious on this Don.  You are a few years ahead of me in age and that is my plan as well, so I genuinely hope to learn by watching you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 06, 2021, 09:59:49 AM »
I’m keenly curious on this Don.  You are a few years ahead of me in age and that is my plan as well, so I genuinely hope to learn by watching you.

You're talking about wisdom. Well, wisdom is often derived from experience. Experience is a result of doing things. Doing things that don't go well, often result in the more profound experience which immediately makes a deposit into the wisdom bank.

Knowing me, the guy who just dives right into the Colorado river, and then  begins learning about strong currents and survival...My growth line toward a successful Ag operation will be anything but straight. But like always, I will surely get there.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 11, 2021, 10:01:34 PM »
Update:

Extremely muddy conditions has presented its challenges to working any sort of schedule down there.

I'll try to remember to snap some pics of the new road going in at the moment, but it changes the whole look and personality of the place. It is going to be really pretty when done, whenever that is. So far my neighbor has laid in 100-200 tons of big rock to make a base on one section. It is about the only place in that road that is stable, but you run the risk of slicing up your tires in sharp football sized stones.

The new Kioti is awaiting some parts to be completed, then delivery will take place for it.

I will have to move some barn or garage structure to the front burner if I don't want the June sun to melt the paint on this one to. I am looking and talking to the Clear-Span folks currently on a fabric roof structure which I will show in some pics below.

I have been having the conversations with the Ag folks both federal and state. They offer some wonderful programs. There is a wide portfolio of financing to help farmers acquire things. The loans are extremely fair but are linked to farm productivity. That hurts me because I have next to nothing going on yet.
One program they have is a loan used to buy land. The government will loan about any amount up to some pretty tall limits for the startup farmer to buy property. They will loan 100% of the cost of the land. The interest rate is 1.3% and is amortized for 40 years with a single annual payment. Yea, that's a good one.

They were willing to loan me money to buy the new tractor, but I don't really need the help, so I passed. They are very willing to loan money for livestock, so they will get my vote there when it comes time. My agent liked the way I wanted to start small with just a few, then grow the herd over time. I told him I needed a barn for equipment storage and to keep the hay dry, and he even got creative with me. Offered to finance all of the purchase cost of the new tractor, allowing me to collect the trade in money (which is north of $30K) to use to build the barn!

I haven't talked with the conservation folks yet, but they offer straight up grants to offset the cost of fencing, and pay money to plant in and maintain drainage areas feeding watersheds. They will park some quail on the property as well and provide all sorts of educational and coaching help.

So back to the equipment storage structure. The Federal Ag guy said he used the clear Span fabric barn and Kentucky folks were getting 20 years out of the fabric. 85% of the cost of the structure is the steel, so with only having to anty up a couple thousand to replace the skin in a couple decades, that sounds pretty good to me. I priced a 34 X 60 with one end walled up and one end open for $13,800 delivered. No decisions, but I think this may be the solution.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 11, 2021, 10:03:05 PM »
The second pic ^^^ is the 34 X 60

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 12, 2021, 03:36:11 PM »
As an option, thought about shipping containers with a cover or roof?

They sell kits for covering the center of containers with a similar product. Or you can do regular trusses and do sheet metal.

No digging for the footings, no cement and you have some secure storage to boot.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 12, 2021, 08:23:19 PM »
As an option, thought about shipping containers with a cover or roof?

They sell kits for covering the center of containers with a similar product. Or you can do regular trusses and do sheet metal.

No digging for the footings, no cement and you have some secure storage to boot.
I did think about it JR

Cost is the biggest detractor

Would require 2ea, 40 footers @ say $2K ea or $4K
and 2 ea. 20 footers to complete the 60 foot length @ $1400 ea, $2800
That's $6800 right out of the gate plus site prep to get four of those things leveled up.

I can put in the pony wall concept for the cost of the quick crete. I simply saw up the required number of cedars into 6X6 posts to construct, then assemble and I'm all done. My only big cost will be the amount of gravel required to backfill after I level up with rock and dirt.

It's going to be a pony wall. pretty sure

But I may place a container beside this building to get some lockable storage or perhaps a maintenance shop.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 12, 2021, 08:28:20 PM »
You can get 55's and you have a tractor or 2.

Anyway, just something to think on. I have thought about it where I am just for all the "stuff" I don't want in the shop all the time.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 13, 2021, 01:43:43 AM »
The cedar you have access to.  Large enough for you to use for your own pole barn?   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 13, 2021, 07:53:20 AM »
Jr,  thanks for that.  I had been planning a second container and a roof structure.  Was going to build my own but I will look into that as an option

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 13, 2021, 09:57:57 AM »
The cedar you have access to.  Large enough for you to use for your own pole barn?   

Possibly, Dave

I have identified some old growth trees that stay 12" in diameter for over 25 feet. I was saving them for the second story deck I will be adding to the "Shed."

Thing is with this building is to get something up relatively quickly so the new tractor and the new this and that's don't get smitten by our friend the spring and summer sun.

And I think I'll be able to fit the excavator in there too
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 09:58:51 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 13, 2021, 10:57:16 AM »
Have you already wrecked the old barn?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 13, 2021, 12:09:59 PM »
Have you already wrecked the old barn?

Guess you missed the update, but yep, its been completely dismantled, timbers (a bunch of 170-180 year old timbers saved and the site graded out

Like it never happened!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 13, 2021, 01:18:25 PM »
Did you take any pictures before bulldoze?   Was it the cool ol wood pegs holding it together?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 13, 2021, 02:33:18 PM »
Did you take any pictures before bulldoze?   Was it the cool ol wood pegs holding it together?

Sure was!
Mortise and tennon with square pockets carved into huge weight bearing beams. One is going to find itself on a mantle or two. another will replace a 2X4 support on the cabin staircase

The best is a stack of hardwood logs that were felled and stacked up somewhere in the 1830's. Meaning those 15"-18" logs grew in the 1700's and possibly earlier. I'll have a rear look into the past when I open those logs up. I'm going to cut them with a live edge 1" thick in varying lengths from as little as eight feet and as long as twenty.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 13, 2021, 02:45:43 PM »
Awesome!

No photos though?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 13, 2021, 03:21:12 PM »
Jr,  thanks for that.  I had been planning a second container and a roof structure.  Was going to build my own but I will look into that as an option

I personally like this one, albeit a bunch more work... maybe.
I've also seen the one like JR showed, but using quonset hut metal.

https://youtu.be/pQREfBlu6rs
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 13, 2021, 04:21:44 PM »
I watch Diesel Creek all the time. You can get corrugated Quonset huts all the time for cheap. Closing off an end is easy and NO fabric to replace.

Up at the ridge a guy is doing the truss/sheet metal now for parking his stuff with 2x40' containers.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 13, 2021, 04:29:36 PM »
Awesome!

No photos though?

Naw, it was an all hands on deck long/cold work day. We literally did not break nor eat all day long, and only stopped when the darkness crept in. The whole area got graded and the big logs sorted and stacked. We did give some to the chain saw and are currently heating my house! :-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 13, 2021, 04:36:00 PM »
I watch Diesel Creek all the time. You can get corrugated Quonset huts all the time for cheap. Closing off an end is easy and NO fabric to replace.

Up at the ridge a guy is doing the truss/sheet metal now for parking his stuff with 2x40' containers.
JR, I think I'm going to pivot on the design.

That arrangement looks pretty good sitting atop the shipping containers

I looked at it critically, and using them would save me a bunch of sawing and construction time with building a pony wall. So I'm thinking I set the first 40 foot shipping container right beside the saw mill and open a service door. That way I can carry the freshly sawn lumber and stack it inside as it comes off the saw. I would open a couple of doorways to the side with the enclosure on both containers. One would be a pass through and the other container could be converted into a workshop.
Thinking about it, I really needed to do something like that because I need to clear out the shed to start converting it into a cabin/house.

Great suggestion Fred!

So, question to everyone. Standard height of 8'6" or go with a HC which has a height of 9'6"??
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:39:09 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 13, 2021, 04:46:01 PM »
Just make sure you don't get aluminum one like I did. ..but I do like the the fact it's taller.. although its wasted space unless you're doing shelves, or parking equipment inside.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 13, 2021, 06:08:04 PM »
Always hi cube.  You appreciate the extra height. I saw where there is a shortage of shipping containers so expect to pay a penny or two more than usual.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 13, 2021, 07:42:01 PM »
I though you may come around. Think of all the prep, drilling, cement and time you save. I just got 2 RR ties to set mine on so not right in the dirt. Big flat rocks work well too and I think you may have a few around. Plus you can always move it if needed.

Yep, HC is the way to go. That is outside when you see 8' wide, 9.6' high.

If you had a flatbed, you could haul yourself as they are just 9.5k for the 40'.

Now, whats this about stopping work when it gets dark?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 13, 2021, 08:23:59 PM »
I have a pretty low opinion of the tent buildings. Maybe it will be OK there but up here they dont seen to last. 10-15 years maybe. There are quite a few skeletons around that lost their tarp. I don't know why they dont last. Frigid temps and strong winds I suppose. Put up a real building that your grand kids can enjoy. That thing will be gone before your kids are middle age.

There is a shortage of shipping containers unless you are in Miami or Chicago. China is calling whole ships back empty.  Just tried ordering a couple more. Lucky they had a couple on hand.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 13, 2021, 09:14:29 PM »
My opinion is get a real building, do it once and be done with it.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 13, 2021, 09:17:47 PM »
Buying leftover trusses or similar (like DC) is a great option. Heck with the right deal you could get trusses and the steel to cover it.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 14, 2021, 10:25:02 AM »
I though you may come around. Think of all the prep, drilling, cement and time you save. I just got 2 RR ties to set mine on so not right in the dirt. Big flat rocks work well too and I think you may have a few around. Plus you can always move it if needed.

If you had a flatbed, you could haul yourself as they are just 9.5k for the 40'.

Batteries in my Nods died!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 14, 2021, 10:25:53 AM »
You been talkin' with Kat?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 14, 2021, 11:45:49 AM »

I like the container building idea. I wouldn’t use the tent version though. Using what is available for inexpensive storage / building materials is an intelligent prospect imo.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 15, 2021, 06:02:45 PM »
Batteries in my Nods died!

Use ambient light, let your eyes adjust. Next excuse Chief?

Nope a personal opinion from someone who's worked in both hard sided barns/shelters/storage buildings and tent versions.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 15, 2021, 07:42:59 PM »
I respect that Bobby

I have a bunch of experience with them as well. Kind of why I was leaning that way initially. In Kandahar and Kabul we did all our aircraft maintenance inside a fabric hangar. I know you've seen them. The one down at Kaf looked like new in its fifth year, and man that thing took the abuse. You'd get all the normal dust storms and blowing dust, but additionally we were always taking off or hovering beside the thing. We even had Chinooks on our ramp for a year or so, and none of that did squat to that hangar. Same with the one in Kabul. It was super tough. I don't think it ever ripped, if it even can with that poly rip-stop fabric.

Well, just from a cost standpoint, I think that may be the best I can do on short notice. I could probably have a proper building up in a year or two, but how much damage would the weather do to my pretty new machines in that time.

Right now I think I may go fabric and see if I can replace it in 5-10 years with something more permanent. Thing is, I am not permanent, and the rip stop thing will probably outlast my carcass. After I'm off on that final mission, who cares what happens to all that stuff? That will be up to the next generation to save or squander...no longer my call after H-Hour.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 15, 2021, 08:54:19 PM »
Have you tried to source an actual army one?  I am sure they have them on auctuon somewhere or you could get one of your folks that you know still over there to find out who makes them/NSN/Nomenclature and do a little google foo and talk directly with the manufacture?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 15, 2021, 09:27:04 PM »
So since I'm not currently going to re-read previous postings for this, have you looked into a Quonset hut building? I see the commercials for them pretty frequently and there are many farmers that have them up here for storage of feed, tractors, parts or whatever you want. I've seen them with PAX doors, double garage doors to open front/back.

It might be close to the same price as a canvas skin stretched over metal frame buildings.

https://www.steelmasterusa.com/residential-buildings/sheds/

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 15, 2021, 10:07:29 PM »
Like this?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 16, 2021, 03:15:34 AM »
Those are the huts I was referring to.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 16, 2021, 10:48:26 AM »
So since I'm not currently going to re-read previous postings for this, have you looked into a Quonset hut building? I see the commercials for them pretty frequently and there are many farmers that have them up here for storage of feed, tractors, parts or whatever you want. I've seen them with PAX doors, double garage doors to open front/back.

It might be close to the same price as a canvas skin stretched over metal frame buildings.

https://www.steelmasterusa.com/residential-buildings/sheds/
Bobby, I just spoke with the folks you suggested.

Great buildings, 22 gage steel

but more than 2X the cost.

40X40 base is $22K. Then I need a foundation, and I need to buy a 22X 16 door locally. That would be thousands. Looking at $30K for that one, and no windows, no man door, no lights, nada.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 16, 2021, 06:20:29 PM »
Ok

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 23, 2021, 08:26:04 PM »
The storage building has gone all over the chart.
I want to spend as little as possible and just get something that will cover the expensive toys, then get on with developing the farm and get it into production.
Well, my wife intervened and sort of set the course.
She argues that anything we do there should be with longevity in mind since she is younger than me and she would also like to hand something nice over to the kids.
She is standing pretty firm on some nice metal building going in and not just a box. She feels that if she ends up living there, she wants things to be nice looking. Therefore I started the search all over again with all that in mind and have currently landed on a company called encore steel building company.
They build the red iron, I-beam structures with totally open spans and have a ton of customization and features. I am currently working on a gambrel roof barn, 30 X 50 X 22' tall. It would sit overtop of the sawmill with a large bi-fold door 25 feet wide right beside it so that I could load any log I needed, then close the door to put everything inside after I was done. It would have a 13 foot primary wall, and a 30 X 50 upstairs that would initially remain open. The far gable end would be solid with four windows. The east wall would have two 12 X 10 roll up doors, and a man door. The remaining west wall would have four windows and another man door. It would have a 4X4 or 6X6 cupola with four windows. With the saw mill on one end, and parking for the Kubota and Kioti on the other, the middle section would be all shop. I could easily fit either the Honda Talon or the tracked Altos mower, but the existing storage shed already is home to one of them.

Her plan is to not plant or get critters in there this year, but to concentrate on finishing the farm. That being get the building in, then finish the pond. TO do the pond right, I am going to have to drain it. If you all recall, from the day I started, the thing is constantly filling with water. So I think after it dries up in later spring, I will drain it, then dig it all out the way I want, lay in the rock walls, set a drain pipe, then plug the drain and let it fill. With a good layer of soda ash and clay tracked in, it should be finished correctly.

Now on the farm mission. Talking with the state and federal guys, I can see that what I really need to do is non-traditional stuff. I think I'll still have a small herd of cows, but mostly just to eat ourselves and sell directly to friends. I want to raise Japanese Koi, as in imported directly from Japan and "Pure-breeds" so to speak, and have a few breeding and nursing ponds, albeit located inside under a future green house looking building.

And finally, I think I want to grow Hemp instead of Lilac. There is just too much money to make. Around here one acre is producing $10,000-$20,000 annually. I have started the application process. I think I want to be a niche grower, feeding into a local (Berea, KY) Market. I have spoken with a health food store already. Not sure where to go with that but, this year, I ought to be able to get some starter plants in. I don't know very much about it yet, but it is a multi year process.

We are about to take delivery on the new Kioti tractor. I'll start a thread on that beast elsewhere.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 23, 2021, 08:31:19 PM »
Have you looked into poll barns? Go up way faster, lots of options and you can do the floor and plumbing later. Watch the RR Building guy, he does em all.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 23, 2021, 09:09:20 PM »
I like the iron building.   Should look similar to Jr but access in one massive door.  Concrete floor!!!!!

Can’t wait to see it come together and I think the boss Lady is keeping your head in the right direction

Do it once, do it right, be done with it

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 23, 2021, 09:58:43 PM »
I like the iron building.   Should look similar to Jr but access in one massive door.  Concrete floor!!!!!

Can’t wait to see it come together and I think the boss Lady is keeping your head in the right direction

Do it once, do it right, be done with it

Yea, this all makes total sense.

I'll have to use some bankers money, so we'll have to see how that part goes. I may engage the feds to get some of their help/money. Would be a good learning experience and I an anxious to get that relationship started.

I just learned about a crappy bunch of junk that big east money is doing to the Tuck. Apparently they have formed some corporations that are buying up Kentucky farms since our land is so cheap. They are using government program money to pick it up, then are having it reclassified as sites for future hotels, businesses, recreational parks and a bunch of other things and getting the land rezoned. The land is then locked up, or sold or just placed into disuse, keeping good farm land from ever producing. It's a slight of hand and I don't understand all the mechanics of the thing, but based on what I am seeing some people are getting rich and good people of Kentucky are getting kicked.
Now, I have never mentioned this, but a certain state senator is coming up for reelection. I'd hate to do it, but if he doesn't do something about this, I just may consider a run to unseat him. I could give a crap about money, about special interests and any other wussy who hasn't done something positive for their nation. I wouldn't last long, but by golly, I could do a lot of damage while I was there!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal