Hello Guest

Author Topic: The Bus  (Read 110306 times)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: The Bus
« Reply #150 on: December 26, 2015, 10:36:53 AM »
Correct, if you've ever been to an "a typical muffler shop" those guys aren't doing physics in there. Don't get me wrong I appreciate their work just sayin. So worst case scenario do it & post pics. We all have plenty of opinions on how to "do it mo better!"..... ;)
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 26, 2015, 11:53:12 AM »
Another way to do it is to buy some bends of tubing in the appropriate size from Summit, then butt clamp it all together...or mark the position and find a buddy who can weld
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 26, 2015, 02:07:08 PM »
I just cut my muffler off, trimmed the piece to fit and clamped with a Summit band clamp. Has worked great, no messy wheel either.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Bus
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2016, 10:23:54 PM »
Ok, so you DOTS are hard to reign in.

Here is where we stand. 

Ordered a new RedHead Steering box...just because
Ordered a completel Stage III Kryptonite front end steering set up.  Including the Moog XD pittman and the Kyrto Deathgrip Idler.

Why do I get the impression that this is turning into a money pit.....

So for real work...

I put the HF press to work.  Got the ball joints and bushings out of the lower control arms.

Scrubbed them with a wire brush and purple cleaner and painted them with RustO enamel.

Pressed in the new Moog ball joints and the Energy Suspension poly bushings.

On the Chevy's make sure you clock the grease fitting to the rear and in that little depression in the top of the LCA.

I pulled the drivers side IC pipe and inner fender to gain access to the lines for the steering box.  Shot them with PB Blaster and headed to Sears to get a set of flare nut wrenches since i need an 18mm.

I also got my Amazon delivery of the new upper control arm bolts and cams

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:29:11 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2016, 09:18:17 AM »
Looks like great progress.   Did you end up getting new plates for that HF press?

Raising boys into RealMen!!

OldKooT

« Reply #155 on: January 04, 2016, 10:52:37 AM »
LoL @ the anti- Norm build  ;D

I will have you know yesterday I got some used wiper blades at the local Napa. Someone left them in the garbage can out front...perfectly good.

When is your target date for completion?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 04, 2016, 01:45:12 PM »
Hmm, I just ran mine with 4.56 and 4.10, 35 inch tire based on .61 OD of the ally.

4.56 is 2000 rpm at 75mph.

4.10 is 1800 rpm at 75 mph.

i ran it with the .71, my mistake. Yes, for your hwy use and avg speed 4.56 made the most sense. Too bad 4.27 don't exist they would be ideal for many.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2016, 01:52:25 PM »
I think it will be fine as I rarely am in that much of a hurry unless I am on 5 going n/s from so cal. (next weekend by the way) Trying my rebuilt blazer on this trip.

The higher ratios will give it more splits and help with towing for sure. I have found the max is happier with a little heavier foot, even seeing better mpg.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 04, 2016, 02:19:07 PM »
Yeah I don't envy your fwy time. Spent 2.5hrs from John wayne to west hollywood and again on the way back. i had planned on dropping off the wife and kids and making an attempt to contact/meet up with some of my forum brethren while i was down there, but the 5hr unexpected delay shot that plan right out the window. Now that we've DOT'd up RN's thread some I feel like I'm back home;-)

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 04, 2016, 02:43:55 PM »
Thats normal LA traffic, even on weekends.

I lived there when it was Orange county airport and had a cool museum. Orange groves for miles when I lived near El Toro and MCAS (H).

I am going to Ontario Friday, getting there just before noon.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 04, 2016, 07:46:01 PM »
LoL @ the anti- Norm build  ;D

I will have you know yesterday I got some used wiper blades at the local Napa. Someone left them in the garbage can out front...perfectly good.

When is your target date for completion?

Norm!  Thanks for making an appearance in my thread.  I love your pithy comments and practicality. 

I have tracking numbers on the steering components and steering box so as soon as I get those in hand it should be a solid weekend of work, maybe two. 

Then I have to tackle the waterpump which is leaking faster than an Edward Snowden NSA file....  I'm not looking forward to that.  The 260 lb/ft on the balancer tells me I'm in for a fight.

Then after that I have all new OEM headlight fixtures and park lamp fixtures to install.

Probably have to buy 35s and sell the 37s

Then I have a few niggling things in the interior like replacing a door panel because the handle mount is broken and then the power mirror switch while that is out and maybe the fog lamp switch

Oh and then I want to change the exhaust to a 5 inch over the axle and out the back system with a muffler to replace the open pipe out the side

I'll be done before the end of 2016....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

OldKooT

« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2016, 07:20:04 AM »
I would personally be more afraid of the door panel repairs than the water pump. Those things are the persona of evil on earth.

I might be able to fit those used 37's on my project with some creative plasma art. Reality is, the shipping alone would be more than my next years budget for the project which I set at $55.00 So I imagine new used rubber is out.

Are you going to make your own exhaust or buy a aftermarket kit? I have had trouble even buying 4" bends in this area for some reason.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2016, 07:43:43 AM »
I think you know the answer to that....of course I'm going to buy a kit.  I can find 4 inch bends but 5 inch is really hard and buy the time I get it all, its not that much cheaper than a pre fabbed kit.

I've had good luck with the door panels on these trucks, I've had them on and off of this one and my original gasser many times.  I installed ashpalt backed foil sound insulation on the back doors a couple years ago and I still have a big roll so I plan on doing the fronts while they are off.

I'm thinking of going with an XL rated tire instead of E.  These 37s in E rating ride like they are made out of stone, even aired down to 40psi.  I think XL will still get me all the GVWR the truck is rated for and should be a little more supple.

OldKooT

« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
Will you have enough height left to "try" the 37" rubber you have and see if your new suspension will ride better?

My wife's power wagon thingy has D rated BFG's. They do fine until you toss the trailer on it, then it gets "wiggly" but BFG's are known for their flimsy sidewalls also. It does ride ok I suppose.

I'd probably buy a kit for the exhaust also if they are just as economical as a home built. I do find however I seldom like the tail pipe placement of most kits. Hopefully the Duramax aftermarket is better than the Dodge kits.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2016, 08:38:02 AM »
I think I can "try" it more or less in a straight line.  Don't think I can turn fully.  The Toyos seem to have a really hard sidewall.  Shame since I only have about 10K miles on them and at the rate they have been wearing they would last 80K easily.  Of course it's mainly been a mall crawler or pavement princess.  The Pro Flo kit I bought for my dually seems to work well and be positioned well.  I'm hopeful that they did as good a job on the old body style

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2016, 11:05:26 AM »
I have 35 coopers on mine with about 3 inches lift and the fender mod. They still rub just a tad on the front rear fenders when I hit a good bump.

I think a 4 inch lift would do fine with the fender mod. I haven't towed with the cooper yet. But the toyos were not happy.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2016, 08:41:24 PM »
Guess what showed up today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:08:08 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2016, 09:14:52 PM »
Looks like a steering box.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2016, 09:32:34 PM »
Channeling my inner Don..."give that man a gold star!"

RedHead.  Waiting on the full Kryptonite set up to show up Friday.  Ready to get it done!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2016, 10:25:13 PM »
Red cover an' all!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2016, 10:46:08 PM »
and the cool thing is I took my #1 guy out for a strategy session today over some of KYs finest to discuss 2016 goals.  I learned that he has a good buddy that owns a powder coating shop.....that may come in handy.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2016, 04:08:45 AM »
I like anything but frames powder coated. Looks cool but does not show cracks.

Like the new SB, I have to do something. rebuilt the entire front end on the blazer and still have to much free play, but thats for another thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2016, 06:55:59 AM »
I admit, I have nothing but admiration for the color matching steering box  ;D

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2016, 07:11:12 AM »
I think it was subliminal advertising targeted at me.....hard.....to ....resist.....anything.....red....

Kinda like a crow picking up shiny piece on the ground....

OldKooT

« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2016, 08:07:15 AM »
I admit I also have a weakness, in my case it's white Dodge trucks.....So did you order new bolts for the steering box? Or are you going to reuse the already likely perfectly good ones?

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 06, 2016, 09:37:57 AM »
Dumb question but are you reusing the pitman arm from the old box? Reason I ask is when I swapped boxes on my rubicon to a hydraulic assist unit the pitman arm screwed up my time table. Took me a couple days to get it free from old box. Took heat, pressure & some good penetrating oil to finally get it to come loose. Oh & a couple pullers were sacrificed in the process......
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2016, 12:24:40 PM »
Re using the old bolts in a rare tip of the hat to Koot. :-). I have all new steering on the way in the form of a full Kryptonite Stage III kit. If I have any trouble at all from the pitman I'll send the core back with it attached and let them deal with it.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2016, 12:36:11 PM »
That front end might run the same as an sas but ride better.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Bus
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2016, 06:58:36 AM »
Well had to stop by the trust ole Sears and pick these up. Needed an 18mm line wrench to get the PS lines off the box. Let's hope the PB blaster has done its thing by this weekend . 

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:59:39 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2016, 09:37:32 AM »
If not, try some of this, if you can find it:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:39:03 AM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2016, 11:33:59 AM »
Last Koril I bought was from a NAPA store. I had to ask for it, they pulled it out from behind the counter. It is good stuff for sure

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2016, 11:46:25 AM »
I have just switched to PB as WD never really did it. PB is doing great, this is better?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2016, 12:02:36 PM »
I have just switched to PB as WD never really did it. PB is doing great, this is better?

There is Nothing better. It will loosen stuff (if allowed to soak for a while) normally reserved for a torch.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 07, 2016, 05:43:00 PM »
Gun stores have it too.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 07, 2016, 09:05:11 PM »
I have heard of it, just never really tried it. It even worked on the muffler flange bolts on the blazer!

Trying it on glow plug #5 now. At least getting to it is easy enough.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2016, 07:21:40 AM »
More pieces trickling in. These are the pieces that perplex me most. 8 small pieces and $32

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2016, 07:46:56 AM »
So the steering kit showed up. It's time to get to work.

DMax Store Kryptonite Stage III. With Deathgrip Idler, and Cognito PISK

Ordered new Russell SS brake lines to replace the 12 inch longer ones that are on it now. Summit Racing had the best deal on the 5 line set.

OldKooT

« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2016, 09:45:10 AM »
Looks like a decent upgrade to the OEM steering on those. I am still amazed at how small the TRE's are, it's no wonder they struggle.

It's -4F here, I doubt I will get a lot done today. Hopefully you have better luck.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2016, 09:54:33 AM »
Wow. That's cold. These are beefy. They've got an unconditional warranty for life. That centerlink alone weighs about 30 lbs.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 10, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »
What was the total cost on the kit? List price I mean

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Bus
« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2016, 12:12:15 PM »
I think with all the options it was $1598

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:16:00 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2016, 01:11:29 PM »
I really enjoy the dmax store and working with them guys

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2016, 01:25:41 PM »
Nice pile of parts you got there

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2016, 09:12:17 PM »
Slow progress today.  Steering box changed out. Idler support and idler arm changed out. Lift brackets, front diff, and LCAs installed.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 11, 2016, 12:02:41 PM »
Just look at the difference on that idler... HUGE improvement.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2016, 03:24:59 PM »
Made a little more progress today got the compression stretch mounted after having to grind lose the last lift kit mounts that the knucklehead welded on. Some people should not be allowed to touch a welder. The welds were so bad they were gloppy all over the place. Took me an hour with a cut off wheel to break them loose and then I had to clean up the crossmember. Now I just have to make the final decision regarding the torsion bars and whether or not to replace them and if so with what  weight rating

Can anyone tell what the weight rating is on these bars?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:08:50 PM by Dawg25385 »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2016, 04:09:05 PM »
Fixed your links for ya boss
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2016, 04:48:43 PM »
Thanks. Was driving.

OldKooT

« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2016, 07:23:07 PM »
I agree, quite a difference on the beef of the actual idler. But still looks like the actual TRE is the same basic size as stock.

We used to use Duramax on the farm because Chevy had the best purchase option. We usually averaged a front end rebuild every 25K with OEM Chevy parts. The amount of broken CV's and resulting ring and pinion failures and such was what prompted us to stop using the Chevy's even when leased, as they were just not up to daily gravel/dirt road use in farm/ranch conditions.

I was reading somewhere back a few years ago that the Incognito control arms helped with some issues but could move/travel past the point of failure for the CV joints. Not sure if that's been resolved, but that would worry me.

I am interested to see how this all pans out, IFS is something I have never spent much time working with unless you count VW/Porsche Rear axles LoL

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2016, 08:58:16 PM »
The UCA arms do really help both with travel and allignment. They are not overpriced either. The idler does look stout, but HD on the wrong end?

As for the CVs, never had an issue and hear of little even with high HP setups.

I do go through hubs though and the TR suck, even the Cognitos. I went stock with sleeves. The TR ends are at a bad angle if lifted at all. The lift knuckle flips the mount over that cleans up the angle.

Norm, why am not surprised you mess with Porsche axles,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal