Hello Guest

Author Topic: 1991/1985 Suburban 2500 build and flip, again!  (Read 120971 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: "SPARTAN" 1991 Suburban 2500 build and 6BT
« Reply #350 on: June 25, 2015, 05:04:08 AM »
Played the cooler tonite, getting the crappy tube/fin off and and seeing what a hack job they did mounting it. If that was done by a Gov mechanic he needs a lot of training still. At least it is easy to get to by sliding the rad back a little.

The new cooler is a little smaller in area, but is more eff, tougher and actually has 150 sq in of cooling area (9 x11.1x1.5) vs the 90 sq in of the finned cooler (10x12x3/4).

Mounting the new one will be a cinch using the holes made for a cooler just like the oil cooler on the other side. Plus the cooler just has NPT female so no issues.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline duramaxdarren

• self proclaimed nice guy
  • Registered
  • hooper drives the boat chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 06, 2015, 07:50:33 PM »
shoot the deer in the face !! shoot the deer in the face!!! way to close to family for comfort...if you were solo then id say wrastle (wrestle) him
07 gmc crew lbz

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 06, 2015, 08:57:59 PM »
shoot the deer in the face !! shoot the deer in the face!!! way to close to family for comfort...if you were solo then id say wrastle (wrestle) him

Did I miss something?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline duramaxdarren

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 06, 2015, 09:52:34 PM »
yes the deer that was outside your tent! yo posted a pic of him with the velvet still on his rack
07 gmc crew lbz

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 06, 2015, 10:04:42 PM »

Did I miss something?

Darren's been working some long hours!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 06, 2015, 11:03:46 PM »
Must be an eastern thang, calling an elk a deer. I wish we had deer that big out here!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline duramaxdarren

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 06, 2015, 11:28:19 PM »
i am sooo dumb? what's an elk lol? we only see that stuff on national geographic lol. we get deer passing through our yard frequently though. kara is much more in tune with that growing up hunting with her dad, myself i hunt for meat in the butcher shop lol. the long hours cuts into my nature time haha. ok enough DOT by darren. carry on with the burb. looking good btw
07 gmc crew lbz

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 07, 2015, 12:11:01 AM »
If it makes you feel better, it is in the deer family. lol

Don't worry, JR don't bite. Wait, I'm actually not real sure about that.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 07, 2015, 01:27:37 AM »
OK, that was a couple pages back. Elk or deer a good shot makes for a good dinner. To bad that Elk was in Grand Canyon Park. We have little black tail here. Last one I shot was on the job when it didn't quite make it over a iron fence. Was a nice 3 point that tore its rear quarter apart trying to get down.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 15, 2015, 03:10:06 PM »
Well, got the wiring cleaned up on the front end. Stock it is down behind the the trim near the bumper and cooling lines. To easy for damage there.

Moved them up to above the coolers, simple fix and used most of the stock clips. It is held up with a bungee as I cleaned up the coolers and painted it up.

Also took it down for a smog test hoping for a clean test do I can drive it around more. It didn't fail per say but per the tech it kept falling out of testing spec because it ran rough. I watched the guy try it 3 times and it kept resetting. So now its a tuneup, fuel treatment and Seafoam.

Actually I will have a little more time now as school has started. Even though I take and pickup 4 days a week it frees up the "entertainment" part.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 27, 2015, 03:25:05 PM »
Beginning to plot my bumpers out and saw this down the street. Thought it was a pretty cool idea. With that on both ends, think of the options!

Sorry for the bad pic, had my daughter take it. Like hillary, has electronics but using them!!! my wife always chops off heads and zooms in way to much,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 27, 2015, 09:56:16 PM »
Painted it orange too!

OldKooT

« Reply #362 on: August 28, 2015, 07:23:18 AM »
HF sells something similar. I used to have one of those I built in the bed of my farm truck. Last time I tipped it over I ruined it, But it was very handy. I keep thinking I will build one for my trailer at some point..still haven't LoL

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 20, 2015, 12:05:05 PM »
This one slid into the bumper, I liked it!

Anyway auto projects been on hold a little getting the yard done before the weather come in this year.

Fences, rear paver deck and few other little things.Plus it gives me room to move things around.

2 yards of sand just came in, back to work!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 02, 2015, 01:57:29 PM »
A 7/8 allen found its way home with me last week for the front axle build.

Ordered new rear springs vs re-arching the 25 year old ones. Tuff Country, just like the fronts.

Soon as this legs gets better we are on again!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 02, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »
What in the world do you need a 7/8 allen for?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 02, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »
For the kingpin cone.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 02, 2015, 06:29:34 PM »
Dana 60 kingpins

Edit: may need some heat tool
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 06:30:29 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 02, 2015, 06:40:52 PM »
We have heat, big hammers and long bars.

Alone or in combo, something will work!

I was going to buy the socket, but the big ol "L" bar is so cooler and harder to loose.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 02, 2015, 06:47:36 PM »
Sorry, was thinking the IFS.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 02, 2015, 08:10:59 PM »
JR, just started reading this build thread. I like it!

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 03, 2015, 12:24:11 PM »

We have heat, big hammers and long bars.

Alone or in combo, something will work!

I was going to buy the socket, but the big ol "L" bar is so cooler and harder to loose.

I could lose it. Guaranteed I could lose it immediately after I used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldKooT

« Reply #372 on: December 03, 2015, 11:24:09 PM »
I used to have a snap-on 7/8  socket for those king pins. Broke that twice now.... I also broke the standard key variety also.

By golly what WORKS is a large pipe wrench and a piece of pipe combined with anger LoL If that doesn't work I have welded rather large nuts on the king pin on a few occasions. (sometimes the pipe wrench needs a better grip)But these days, I try halfheartedly to remove them with the pipe wrench and then go straight to surgical gas axe removal. Because the last pipe wrench and 12' pipe attack tore the truck off the jack stands.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 03, 2015, 11:29:45 PM »
Yep, a nice bead will do wonders around that thing and welding a but nut on there should help too!

Norm, your just a brute  8)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 04, 2015, 03:19:31 PM »
Well, I am having some issue with sourcing rear springs. I need 2 in lift for the shackle flip with 56 in length. All searches bring up 52 in length for the burbs with that lift or 4 in with 56.

So after some searching I found a company called SD Spring. They had the length I needed and shipping was fair.

My stock springs are a 6-1 pack, rated at 22-2300 lbs. These springs have NO arch left at all. Rubber bushings and anti rub pads.

I ordered the standard springs for my 91 Sub which were an 8-1 pack, rated at 2600 lbs and have a 6.5 arch but sure that will flatten a little. Still have rubber bushings and anti-rub pads.

Should be here early next week when I am moving a little better.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: December 04, 2015, 05:01:36 PM »
Couldn't you have by passed doing the shackle flip and used a spring with more lift or am I missing something?

Well, I am having some issue with sourcing rear springs. I need 2 in lift for the shackle flip with 56 in length. All searches bring up 52 in length for the burbs with that lift or 4 in with 56.

So after some searching I found a company called SD Spring. They had the length I needed and shipping was fair.

My stock springs are a 6-1 pack, rated at 22-2300 lbs. These springs have NO arch left at all. Rubber bushings and anti rub pads.

I ordered the standard springs for my 91 Sub which were an 8-1 pack, rated at 2600 lbs and have a 6.5 arch but sure that will flatten a little. Still have rubber bushings and anti-rub pads.

Should be here early next week when I am moving a little better.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 04, 2015, 05:12:26 PM »
I've used SD Spring before.  Seem to be good people.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 04, 2015, 05:27:08 PM »
Their help was great when I ordered. Wanted to be sure I got the right thing. I had to be sure they had the scuff pads which are OEM.

Heck just these should give me 2-3 lift without the reverse shackle. My springs are flat, these have a 6 in arch so with the reverse I get my 6 inch to match the front and fine tune.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #378 on: December 05, 2015, 11:56:30 AM »
I also have used SD spring, they have always been real decent to deal with. In fact I need to order some front OEM springs for my daily driver soon. I should do that Monday....if I don't forget.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 17, 2015, 12:46:49 AM »
Springs showed up and look good. My current springs are about as flat as you can get, basically sitting on the overloads.

New springs are 2 stage, with 8 leafs and rated about 500lb more per. Plus they have around 6 in arc as they sit.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 17, 2015, 07:57:17 AM »
I love new parts all shiny and clean.  Gives me that warm fuzzy feeling like when the brown truck fairy visits.

Those look great JR....get to work!
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 17, 2015, 09:26:17 AM »
I put SD springs on the front of SquareD, and then removed two leaves...which I am now going to be putting back in!
The late model Silverado rear springs I will be installing in Square D are also from SD...

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 17, 2015, 09:34:38 PM »
I put SD springs on the front of SquareD, and then removed two leaves...which I am now going to be putting back in!
The late model Silverado rear springs I will be installing in Square D are also from SD...

I almost got the HD springs for the rear too thinking the same lines. But I went with their standards which are rated way better than stock anyway and I am sure spring tech has changed a lot in the last 25 years too.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 18, 2015, 09:48:50 AM »

I almost got the HD springs for the rear too thinking the same lines. But I went with their standards which are rated way better than stock anyway and I am sure spring tech has changed a lot in the last 25 years too.
Tech has changed, but so has steels

Don't know if you're noticing, but today's steels seem lower quality that that of the past.

Maybe it's just me, but fenders are both thinner and of poorer quality. Older as in 40 year old springs can sometimes be reused, like I am doing whereas some of the modern stuff is not holding up.
Perhaps it's just that the average steel of yesteryear was of a higher grade than the mass produced Chinese junk of today because of cost. I mean making steel is just chemistry in the end...

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 18, 2015, 10:29:30 AM »
I have had horrible experience in springs, Don is 100% correct about the quality of the spring material driving the problem.  Some spring makers have no idea what they build, with one spring maker I was on the phone about 5min with the "engineering" dept I was getting very scared with what I was hearing. 

The BIG reason you are seeing it now is most of the material spring makers like SD and Superlift and some BIG name suspension makers is being sourced/made in India, China or other places that have almost ZERO quality control.

After three sets of springs I just went to a custom maker that I could visit the shop look at the raw material that is USA made with heat lots and traceability of the product.   I haven't had a problem since and the spring did what he predicted, also the spring maker said if your not happy we can change it around until you are happy at zero cost to me other than the labor or pulling the spring out and putting it back in.

and to the people that say USA material is to over priced the USA material is typically about 20 to 30% more and given the choice I always spend the extra and get domestic.  Sometimes I am not given the choice and have to buy Foreign sourced material.  But have had very good luck with German and English/European material.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 18, 2015, 11:27:16 AM »
I've found the same thing

American first, no doubt.

You're buying work ethic!

The Germans are pretty good. Aussies make good stuff, as do some Japs.
If you could get Russian made stuff and you were strong enough to lift whatever it was, you'd be getting (Most times) good stuff

Know why no Russians know what balloons are?
The first ones were made from cast iron and the idea never went any further!

Their cars only make 55 horsepower. But they have made it since the Triassic period!

Chinaman junk is so hit or miss, I am sometimes wishing that the factories would just get hit by an asteroid!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 11:28:35 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 18, 2015, 12:46:04 PM »
Don't make me rant about buying products from countries that sell stuff to people that they know will kill and maim our guys!  I hate sending one cent to them and its not only China but they are the worst!   
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:46:44 PM by wilsonphil »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 18, 2015, 02:25:54 PM »
Well, I hear you on all of that but I have them now and shipping would cost as much as the springs.

Given the late 80's GM stuff I would venture these are better than stock. lookd up many

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 18, 2015, 03:12:01 PM »
Not saying yours or my two sets of chinaman SD springs are junk, just, regretfully, made by the chinamen

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 18, 2015, 05:14:25 PM »
So much is nowadays. Such is the manufacturing base here in the US with all the regs and taxes.

I like buying US made items, but not for 2-3 times the price. That can really hurt with big ticket items.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: December 19, 2015, 11:28:51 AM »
Well there is a robust cottage industry of good American stuff still alive and struggling, no thanks to democrat and RINO republicans trying to kill it.

This Tank Bag company we found yesterday is a good example

https://www.facebook.com/TankVestcom-227004867354697/

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 19, 2015, 12:55:46 PM »
Yep. lots of good ol US made things out there still. I buy what I can based on use and price.

I like the look of those. Used a generic tank pack on an old street Zuk I had. Nothing like the versatility of putting on what you want, where you want.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 03, 2016, 02:48:55 AM »
Couple updates with picture to follow.

Found a 92 VE with all the bells and whistles for $1250, couldn't say no. I think this will be a better route for what I want, issues I have seen and keeping the tranny I have.

Also my first surgery is scheduled for early March. This is a full reconstruction of my ankles that are in bad shape, both will get done at diff times. This will put me out for at least 6 weeks doing anything labor intensive. I will not be idle, but won't be dragging motors or axle around either. Plenty to do like sanding, painting and interior work.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 03, 2016, 07:42:36 AM »
Did the half ton and 3/4 ton use the same frame? My 91 has the saggy rear end problem and will need new springs. If I gotta buy new ones I want to go with 3/4 ton springs if they will fit. I don't want to do a bunch of fabrication. This is more of a beater and run around fishing/hunting truck than a restoration project.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 03, 2016, 08:34:14 AM »
Jon you might look in your area for a company that re-arches them as well.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 03, 2016, 10:40:06 AM »
I thought about re-arching mine but went with new. They were about the same as a re-arch and aren't 20+ years old! My springs were flat being supported on the overload.

Try SDSpring as suburban springs are not normal size and I have been sold the wrong thing.

There is an .020 diff in the frame thickness from the 1/2 to 3/4 ton. 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 03, 2016, 12:41:03 PM »
So if my thinking is right I can pull the 3/4 ton axles out of my 80 pickup. Then I need to order new 3/4 ton springs for a suburban. That will raise up the rear end quite a bit. Then if I order a 2 inch lift for a 3/4 ton it will come with new 3/4 ton front springs. If i gotta buy new springs anyway I just as well lift it a little.

I don't NEED a 3/4 suburban but if Im going to put new springs on I just as well go one step up.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 03, 2016, 06:09:43 PM »
I like your logic

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 03, 2016, 06:26:53 PM »
If you look at the SD spring site they list them by vehicle, then by height. I called to be sure, they knew their stuff.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 03, 2016, 07:29:32 PM »
So if my thinking is right I can pull the 3/4 ton axles out of my 80 pickup. Then I need to order new 3/4 ton springs for a suburban. That will raise up the rear end quite a bit. Then if I order a 2 inch lift for a 3/4 ton it will come with new 3/4 ton front springs. If i gotta buy new springs anyway I just as well lift it a little.

I don't NEED a 3/4 suburban but if Im going to put new springs on I just as well go one step up.

Most lift kits have option of buying rear lift springs right along with the fronts.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal