Hello Guest

Author Topic: Remembering the fallen.  (Read 1913 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Remembering the fallen.
« on: November 01, 2015, 07:16:53 PM »
Tonight we are supporting Mr McIntosh to raise funds for the Folds of Honor at the Scott McIntosh memorial tournament and dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Remembering the fallen.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »
Lay it out here RN

short story or link and place to donate to...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
Folds of Honor.  Began by Major Dan Rooney in 2007.  He was on a plane and walked past a soldier in uniform in first class.  Didn't think much of it.  Upon landing the captain came on the intercom and told the passengers that there was an American hero on board.  Dan thought of the soldier in first class.  However the captain said that the plane was carrying the remains of a solider, the twin brother of the young man in first class.  He asked that the passengers stay on board until the remains of the fallen soldier were clear of the hold.  As he sat there and watched out the window, there was a young boy, 5-6 years old at the bottom of the cargo ramp watching the flag draped coffin of his father inch down the ramp.  He realized that boy would never again play catch with his dad and the real impact of the finality of war hit him. As he looked up he noticed that half the passengers had left the plane.  It was then that he knew that it was his calling to support the families of these fallen soliders by providing scholarships to the survivors.

Since 2007, the Folds of Honor foundation has awarded more than 10,000 scholarships.  The Houston fundraising event is put on by the McIntosh family in honor of Cpl Scott McIntosh, KIA, and has raised $2M in the 7 years its been in existence.  I've participated for 4 years now.  I've seen first hand the impact that honoring those that served and gave all have had on their families.  I have the pleasure of directing some of my companies philantropic moneies.  One thing that really impresses me is that because of the amount of donations and volunteering, more than 95% of proceeds goes to benefit families of the fallen.  Compare that with most so called charities that are lucky to get near the 75% mark because of all the bloated overhead.

What amazes me (actually...crushes me would be a more apt description) is that we've had Marcus Luttrell, Rob O'Neil and tonight, SFC Leroy Petry, Congressional Medal of Honor winner speak as keynote speakers.  Not one of them talked about themselves and their sacrifice (Petry had his hand blown off disposing of an enemy grenade, after taking rounds through both legs and dragging other wounded Rangers to safety).  Without fail each one has talked about their brothers in arms.  Those that did not make it back and how they now exist to bring honor to those men.  SFC Petry has a prosthetic arm.  Often men with prosthesis have their tattoos or other decorations applied to their prosthesis.  SFC Petry has a plaque with the name of all his 15 fellow Rangers in his group that died in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as others from Panama and Grenada.  It is a constant reminder of those that never made it back. One of those was Pat Tillman.

In addition to SFC Petry, we honored several men. Some who served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam who where in their 90s.  A young man with 3 purple hearts who got up from his wheelchair for the first time.
If you want to get involved, here is the link. 

https://www.foldsofhonor.org/

I can't tell you how proud I am of our country to see and honor the families of these men who have voluntarily taken up arms to protect our freedom.   We've heard it said that "freedom isn't free".  Its not.  I've been humbled by the men I've met who have paid the price.  Some all, but all some.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:27:15 AM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 11:34:23 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 11:39:31 PM »
God bless all you who have answered the call.  Don, HC, Bobby, Nate, and all the others here.  I, and many in this nation, are grateful, despite the media's insistence in trying to paint our military as unjust warmongers.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 06:42:42 AM »
^^^ X2
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 09:33:17 AM »
I feel the same Charles.

95% is a great number. I get quite a few telemarketer calls a day, and a small percentage are for our wounded/fallen "protectors". The first question I ask is what percentage goes to those that benefit from the donation, and several are in the 25% range. I usually ask if I can give a straight out donation without accepting their "monogrammed keychains", or whatever they're pushing, and they don't have anything in place for that. I won't repeat what I tell them just before I hang up.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal