VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Maintenance, How to/DIY projects

Polaris Ranger fuel pump replacement/upgrade

(1/2) > >>

longball:
I purchased a used 2009 Polaris Ranger 700XP in October of 2016. My dad bought it in 2009 with just a few hours on it and for the next 7 years it was his most used piece of machinery. The original owner was a Polaris employee and he added the roof, windshield, wheels, and tires before it left the dealership.

In October of 2015 he traded it for a 2016 Kawasaki Mule Pro-FX.

Someone bought the Ranger the day after dad traded it in and kept it for a year, almost to the day. They only put 15 hours on it and decided it wasn't what they needed so I headed to Arkansas and brought it home. My bad luck started almost immediately.

Once home, I gave it a good once over before putting it to work in the foothills of the Appalachians.

Years of farm use had the radiator gunked full of dust and seed. Removing the front bumper gives better access to both the radiator and the front differential fill plug.

longball:
After a couple months of use I started noticing an intermittent rough idle and the occasional smell of gas and light smoke coming from the exhaust while riding. The spark plugs were a little dark so I changed them out and that seemed to help but only for a short time. Then I read about wires inside of the temperature and barometric pressure sensor plug breaking and causing them to run rich. otbpowersports has an upgraded harness so I got one headed my way. Although I felt better about having a more robust plug installed, it didn't fix the problem.

Eventually one cylinder completely shut down and it popped an error code 51. Polarisatvforums.com has 51 listed as:

51 Injector 1: Open Load
51 Injector 1: Short Circuit to Ground
51 Injector 1: Short Circuit to battery
~Code 51 is the driver side cylinder
~Code 52 is the passenger side cylinder

Based on a dealership's recommendation I replaced both injectors and injector harnesses.

When that didn't work I swapped sides with the injector harnesses and the code 51 remained so I knew, or thought I knew, I was dealing with wiring from the harness to the ECM. After hours of separating the harness and testing wires I couldn't find anything wrong. While exploring other possibilities I broke a spark plug wire so I ordered two new ones, along with a new air filter and air box seal. Strangely, when I was replacing the air filter I found a bunch of oil/gunk inside the airbox.

I went through several set of plugs during this process. After 5 minutes of riding they would look like this:

At this point I turned to prcforum for some advice. An individual who goes by jungleman advised me to test fuel pressure at the fuel rail and the voltage to the throttle position sensor. The fuel pressure should be 39psi +/- 2psi and the TPS voltage should be between .650-.660

Now, thanks to jungleman, we're getting somewhere. I couldn't get my machine to break 10psi.

Voltage to the TPS was also way off.

Time for a fuel pump...

JR:
Any update

longball:

--- Quote from: JR on September 18, 2017, 12:05:14 AM ---Any update

--- End quote ---
Apologies for the delay. Something else has been taking up my time the last couple weeks. I'll get back to it shortly.

EL TATE:
Cuteness overload, can't look away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version