Hello Guest

Author Topic: G43 review and upgrade  (Read 5801 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
G43 review and upgrade
« on: May 09, 2016, 07:19:59 PM »
OK, so couple weeks ago I finally was able to find one in stock so I could fondle it. Well, that turned into me owning it. Not that I need to have another caliber to stock but it is 9mm so I guess if I had to add one then why not that caliber? For that matter not that I need another pistol but hey everyone else is apparently buying them so I might as well too. Long story short is my 5' tall wife has very small hands, my girls hands aren't a whole lot larger. As such once I put my big paws on it and my hands engulfed it I was pretty sure it would fit my wife. It's a $500 gun verus the Kimber solo's she was looking at a month or so ago that are well over double that price and it's a glock so I didn't think I could go wrong. Worst case scenario one of my daughters would lay claim to it in the future.

So I brought it home and showed the wife, score it fits her hand well and first introductions went well. Then we went on vacation for a couple weeks and I still have not fired it. Prior to us leaving I did purchase a couple items for it. For starters I picked up two extra mags. It came with two one of which had the extension on the bottom for better grip. The other mag did not have that lip and so I ordered an extension that also adds two rounds. I do not like the stock slide release at all, it's piss poor at best. Why glock would think that stock slide release is at all worthy is beyond me. So the extended version is on back order, apparently I'm not the only one who thinks the stocker is no good. I also forgot it was on BO until I had the slide off of it today and realized I can't find my 3/32nd straight punch either. Anyhow that will have to wait until that slide release shows to do the trigger bar upgrade at the same time.

added 2 round bottom extension on stocker mag

All put back together and that plus 2 round extension makes this fit my hand very well. We will see how wife unit likes it. Hoping to get some rounds down range later this week. I really like the size of this compared to my full size model 22.

Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: G43 review and upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 08:35:37 PM »
I like the looks of that +2 mag extension.

I was shooting Duane's a couple weeks ago. Nice gun, but way too small for my big hands. Functions well, and recoils a bit more than my G19. Seemed about as accurate as any short barreled Glock pistol, and 9 mm hydra def packs a sufficient punch

I think Girls will like it a bunch...Black hawk pilots too!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 09:17:59 PM »
The plus 2 extension makes it feel muy better in my big paws I know that.......

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 09:18:51 AM »
Now you just gotta do the official review so I can update the review sticky.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 07:37:45 PM »
Thinking I need to throw some lead down range before I can do the official review......

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 01:23:51 AM »
Thinking I need to throw some lead down range before I can do the official review......

Symantics. There's no timeline to doing the review, that was a reminder.  ;D
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 03:37:25 AM »
I had a 27 for a few years, sold it and got the 23. Even with the 23 mags and sleeve it just never felt right.

My 22 fits my hand just right so the 23 is still a little small. Maybe the +2 (+1 for the 40) will help a tad.

I agree, all the slide releases feel small, but always worked,,,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:56:09 AM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 08:16:06 AM »
JR, I run the stock slide release on my 22 & model 35 and haven't had an issue. I also owned another 22 & 27 that had stock slide release. When I do the official review I will try to take some "measurements" and compare. I believe this one is smaller as I'm having trouble getting it to release easily. Granted maybe I'm the problem but it takes several attempts every time for me to get it to release.

OldKooT

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 10:31:08 PM »
Looking forward to your review. I am glad to see you avoided the Solo. Smart move....and that's coming from a fella who owns a few Kimbers.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 07:12:21 AM »
I never use the slide release. Not sure what all the fuss is about. Extended mag release is a different story. Nice pea shooter. As a Glock fan-boy I agree you can't go wrong with a Glock.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 07:39:23 AM »
My thought is one handed manipulation, say other hand is injured etc. I use my support hand as well normally to release the slide but like the thought of one handed easy operation if needed.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 07:49:03 AM »
Meh, that big ole rear sight snags jeans, belts, boots, random 2x4s, et. just fine for one handed or weak side shooting.....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »
Agreed, maybe moot point. Personal preference I guess......

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 07:41:54 PM »
Yup and all that matters is that you like it and make it work for you! My opinion is worth every penny people pay for it. (Hint - not much)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 05:18:47 PM »
Aim has 6 round mags back in stock for reasonable price FYI

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MGLK43NEW

On another note: have thrown some lead down range 300 rounds approximately. No issues, the other upgrade parts arrived last week from back order so need to strip, upgrade & shoot again then give solid review. Consensus so far is I would buy again.....
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 05:21:30 PM by stlaser »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 09:35:31 PM »
I was wandering around a gun store after work trying to kill time. I looked at the G43 and the G43 TALO edition (which I kinda liked). It felt nice in my hand but then again so did the shield in 40. So I put them down and walked out so I couldn't be tempted. But I did buy a new pair of sunglasses from the store, so I got that going for me. 8)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:41:33 PM by cudakidd53 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 11:46:11 PM »
Sunglasses huh? Killing me here Bobby!!

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 11:49:14 PM »
I have the MP Shield in the 40, it is an awesome gun.

I see Taurus has a nice looking compact 9mm and 40cal. Saw it advertised for just $220.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 11:34:22 AM »
Me...G19

Wife...Shield 9mm

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 11:38:48 AM »

Yea the Oakley M frames I've been wearing for years and deployments are starting to show their age. I keep having to push the arms "bushings" back in. I'm not throwing them away but they are being retired to semi active use.

Me...G19

Wife...Shield 9mm

Both good choices. Sometimes nothing wrong with a single stack though.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 11:10:50 PM »

Yea the Oakley M frames I've been wearing for years and deployments are starting to show their age. I keep having to push the arms "bushings" back in. I'm not throwing them away but they are being retired to semi active use.

Me...G19

Wife...Shield 9mm

Both good choices. Sometimes nothing wrong with a single stack though.
Absolutely! Did a lot of years in the Armee with a single stack 1911...

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 11:51:50 PM »
The MP, even though called a single stack actually staggers the rounds just a little. Think it buys it an extra round.

I think the 40 has about 85% of the hitting power of a 45.

Still like my 45 and 40. 9mm has to be pushed to hard to get close to them, but I have my 9mm's too.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 12:18:00 AM »
The girls went to the store this evening & gave me the chance to strip the gun for a good cleaning & to install the extended slide release & also the new drop in connector for the trigger. Both installed easily. I believe it was under 15 mins to strip install & clean / reassemble the unit. I wasn't in a hurry or timing it so that is a best guess. Anyone with a flat head screwdriver & 3/32 round punch can do the install. It's pretty simple really. First impression of the trigger upgrade is in fact a crisper & smoother pull. The extended slide release is a must have for anyone that actually uses it to release the slide versus the two hand or one hand shove the slide against something style release. It is definitely much easier to locate & manipulate. I will have to look at invoices but I think for the two parts combined I spent around $50 so it's definitely an inexpensive addition. I should have ordered the extended Mag release as well but will get it on next parts order.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2016, 03:30:40 PM »
So took the wife unit to the range, loves her 43 I might add. Between the two of us her on the 43 & me on my 22 put around 500-600 rounds down range. Hers never hiccuped once or mine for that matter. Cool part was at our indoor range there were just as many females as males shooting. Wife gets a discount for being ER nurse too (well former er nurse anyhow).

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2016, 04:05:29 PM »
So took the wife unit to the range, loves her 43 I might add. Between the two of us her on the 43 & me on my 22 put around 500-600 rounds down range. Hers never hiccuped once or mine for that matter. Cool part was at our indoor range there were just as many females as males shooting. Wife gets a discount for being ER nurse too (well former er nurse anyhow).

Cough official review... cough cough

So you're not going to admit the Missus outshot you huh?  ;D

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2016, 04:57:10 PM »
Ok, let me work on that cough.....

My oldest daughter, may be close. Wife unit unfortunately is not. She does however really like the 43 as it does not hurt her tiny hands at all, granted she was firing 115gr ball ammo so take it for what it was. With that said she wants to now do this on a more frequent basis & did not like her paper versus mine.  ;)

She did mentioned watching another gal walk back from line shaking her hands because they hurt after firing her gun & could relate to past experiences so this is really a step in the right direction with her new gun.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal