Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2014 Tahoe (new to me) fluid change,,,,,,,,,,,  (Read 4945 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2014 Tahoe (new to me) fluid change,,,,,,,,,,,
« on: September 30, 2022, 10:24:58 PM »
OK, here we go on another smaller project. I picked up a 2014 Tahoe, former BLM vehicle (the real BLM)

129k miles, just ready to click over the 130. No 3rd row, no center console (already found some) Oil and tranny fluid looked good.

5.3ltr Vortec, 6sp tranny, 2 keys/remotes with 8.6in rear, 7100 gvw. Almost new Nitto 33-75/17s on stock rims. Shakes a tad at speed so going to check the balance.

More picks to follow but here is the build sheet. It is a "special use LE" vehicle, thinking a 48 state. Already smogged and Reg in Kali now (for now)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 10:53:17 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New to me 2014 Tahoe fluid change,,,,,,,,,,,
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 11:45:46 PM »
Searching the RPO codes it is 7300gvw, 3.42 rear, 6L80 tranny. Normal LEO stuff, HD cooling, skid plates, no DRL, HD towing.

Diablo Tuner should be here tomorrow to address the DOD and little things, but is has great oil pressure. Looking for Cold Air and exhaust now

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 10:13:56 AM »
OK, cool! Let's get this thread going.

Going to be both useful and pertinent to today's discussion because so many of these trucks are still faithfully serving peeps all over the continent.

Oh, going to be interesting too knowing the JR...   ;-)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 12:23:01 PM »
Ordered a bunch of stuff today. Cold air intake, mbrp cat back. Looking at running up to the recycler later for a couple trim pieces gone or broken.

Needs LED headlights, fogs and glancing at bumpers/guards for fun.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 02:29:56 PM »
So far I really like the GTR Ultra2 LEDs I put in the Bus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 07:54:57 PM »
So lots of parts on the way and here is a pic of it at home finally.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 07:56:54 PM »
Darn finger keeps doing that!!

Closer inspection it seems the front left has been repaired somewhat. Inner fender is missing and the seam between the door and fender is not!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 08:03:14 PM »
Air dam in front needs trimming along the bottom. Probably had another dam there which is gone, leaving sawtooth flange, ugly!

Drivers door pull is wasted too. You can buy the whole panel (like Don) but think I will try to open it up and see what I can do.

Was getting some good vibrations going down the road. No feedback from the steering wheel, so figure its off the rear tires. Find an open tire place on and have them check the back. Drivers was off by 6oz and the pass side was off by 12oz! Heading out for a test drive now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 11:58:01 PM »
Added LED headlights tonight, wow!! cheapo's too, well still $60. Whoever designed the tahoe should have his neck ringed. What a chore!

Did the first Fluid change too, just the oil. Put a tall AC filter on, but don't think it took 8qts like it said.

Both front fenders have been trimmed, ordered the drivers, now for a pass, just $30. They kinda hold the front together and dam would fill with road crud fast without them being closed off.

Looks like fog light will go right in also, switch not there have to check for wiring next.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2022, 01:36:56 AM »
The only thing important is the spotlight. Does it work?

Don't get me started on the amount of LE auction vehicles running around here. I've about worn my brakes out from seeing them

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2022, 03:23:33 AM »
Works great!! Daughter drove it, son wants to (14).

Got like 6 packages for it today. Just needs a little "tune", cold air and exhaust. Don't want a rocket.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2022, 01:18:59 PM »
Somewhere i have a kit for some fog lights that has wiring, relays switch etc. if you want it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it like OEM stuff? I already ordered a new switch that goes in the OEM spot.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 10:25:09 PM by JR »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2022, 10:41:01 PM »
So doing the oil change, she is a little crusty underneath. Nothing a good cleaning and rust paint can't cure though.

When doing the LEDs I found both inner fenders had been trimmed away. Can you imagine the crud that would accumulate in there? Have LEDs for the backup lights too. I may add a 12in light bar under the 3rd brakelight for lighting the property up and the stupid cars that won't dim their brights (real issue coming home)

Tuned it with the Accel unit. Turned off the DOD, crisped up the shifts and raised shift torque levels (125%). Kept it on the 87 tuning though.

Mildly surprised how much better it felt. MBRP 3in exhaust came in, still waiting on the Volant Cold Air intake. These newer vehicle "learn" and curious what this ends up feeling like. Plus its to darn quiet!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2022, 10:50:17 PM »
Somewhere i have a kit for some fog lights that has wiring, relays switch etc. if you want it

Is it like OEM stuff? I already ordered a new switch that goes in the OEM spot.
It was a kit for the Honda that has wire loom , relays, etc.  I’ll look this weekend and send you a photo. It’s yours if you can use it

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2022, 10:54:51 PM »
TRN, sure I can use it on something. I have so many light bars to put on, it will find a home! Anymore of that salsa around?

Also, looking at the build sheet I see no G80 code, but it does say 3:42. It has stabilitrac and anti skid so maybe its an open unit? That will need addressing for sure very soon with the weather coming. 3:42s are fine, cruses at 75mph at 1750rpm.

Wheh I had the back jacked up for the balance, it acted like a one legger. A G80 acts like that too, so probably just pull the cover, want Syn oil in there anyway.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 08:36:46 PM »
Picked up later model center console today, few hundred but seems to be the going price for the good ones. It was a local meet too, probably saved me $40 in fuel.

There were CC that were made for my tahoe, but they seemed to just be a cup holder and a jump seat. I wanted storage too!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 08:45:59 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 08:44:36 PM »
Unbolted the pass seat to get it in, tight but works. Needs a little trimming and some mods underneath to sit more or less flush. If I can get it 3-4 inches forward it will be just about right. The tabs and pins seem too be the real issues.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2022, 02:51:29 PM »
After messing with this for an hour or so, it will not fit to my liking nor bolt to anything without all custom brackets. Buckling in was a chore too, just a hair too wide. Will loose some selling it, but that is how it goes sometimes to get what you want.

So I bit the bullet and got one from LKQ for the same price in A condition made for my year Tahoe. No jump seat but I'm good with that and it goes all the way under the dash making for good "storage"  :wink:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Tahoe (new to me) fluid change,,,,,,,,,,,
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2022, 11:00:59 PM »
Did the CAI today, Volant. Hardest part was the GM connector on the engine vent.

Stock intakes are like a labyrinth, throttle body was filthy, and I cleaned the MAF sensor too. Hopefully get the the exhaust tomorrow. But its my youngest's 15th birthday.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 11:03:04 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2022, 11:18:31 PM »
So today I put the exhaust on the Tahoe. Couple things I found was it probably had steps on it and has had some incident because it looks like aa Xmember is bent up some. Same as the front inner fenders, some tabs are ripped off. Nothing terrible.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2022, 11:52:42 PM »
So really the hardest part was getting the old exhaust off. I cheated and cut it off at the old pipe just behind the flex joint and the axle bump as recommended. Also found a really good dent just behind the right cat before the Y. Say it cuts about 25% of the flow, may address that.

Instead of having to fight with the slip joint behind the Cat, they got smart and made it a ball joint now, even the clamp came off easy after a little soaking. There was a ground strap too, but its gone now.

As would be expected the new MBRP muffler was about 1/2 the size of the stock. Added a little never sieze to all the bolt, slid it all together, straightened and tightened it up then added the SS tip. Think a flat tip might look better though.

Sounds great, only loud when you get on it but seems quiet on the freeway so far. Still waiting for the ECM to learn the mods, idles a little high at first, but getting better.

I also painted most of the center of the frame, looks way better than the rust did. Still needs more TLC under there, but no rush.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2022, 05:45:26 PM »
Looks just like the diesel truck exhaust. BTW, you can use the over-the-hump pipe and cut and slip it into the muffler outlet to get a great fitting, cool-looking side exhaust. That's how I did mine on the D-Max truck

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2022, 01:19:58 PM »
Thinking on options. Tuned again put injection cleaner in it. Mileage sucks right now in the 16-18 range freeway but mountains. 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2022, 06:28:14 PM »
Thinking on options. Tuned again put injection cleaner in it. Mileage sucks right now in the 16-18 range freeway but mountains. 
It's all in the perspective
I'd kill for 16-18 with my suburban which gets 8-10

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2022, 08:18:20 PM »
Thats close to what the Dmax averages, but way easier to drive and less $$$ to fuel up. ($100 vs $250) It drives SO much better now. Downshifts on hills or unlocks the TC but these motors don't make any real HP/TG till way after 2500rpm. (getting used to gas again)

Plus I am really stock sans exhaust, intake and tune tweak. Think a cam is in the future too, probably a top end kit after reading up some.

Was getting a water stain by the pass door A pillar. Got up top and found a 1in hole wide open.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2022, 09:55:53 PM »
Thats close to what the Dmax averages, but way easier to drive and less $$$ to fuel up. ($100 vs $250) It drives SO much better now. Downshifts on hills or unlocks the TC but these motors don't make any real HP/TG till way after 2500rpm. (getting used to gas again)

Plus I am really stock sans exhaust, intake and tune tweak. Think a cam is in the future too, probably a top end kit after reading up some.

Was getting a water stain by the pass door A pillar. Got up top and found a 1in hole wide open.
For your cam, read up on the specs of that Butt-Kicker (real name) cam I used once.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2022, 10:13:38 PM »
I'll need it to be carb happy. Maybe not certified but non DOD stock !

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2022, 08:48:59 AM »
I think Vinci makes the grind in DOD or non-DOD

Mine is non-DOD

I thought it worked reasonably well

The truck was never fast, but it has had some torque. In retrospect, I should have just kept the smaller cam in the motor when I added in the blower. Could have just cranked up the boost.

But now that I have gone the supercharger route, and realized these LS motors don't make any low-end power even if you attach a dwarf star as a power adder, I would have turbocharged the truck instead.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2022, 07:20:47 PM »
Ran up to LQK today and got the center console. Had already pulled the old one. New one used the seat bolts, simple.

Was dirtier than crud, just happen to have an old towel so I got it wet and went to work. Was so bad it had about 12 cents embeded in the gunk.

Needs a little tweaking and better cleaning. I do have the front trim panels for under the dash. Think they have a whole bunch of storage options for it too.

Missing the rear radio knobs is all and the wiring harness was cut. However, looking to see if the wires hanging from the dash match up? 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2022, 10:55:00 PM »
Ken, have a question for you or anyone who might know.

Coming off the throttle or even starting out it seems to go to about 1000rpm. Few seconds later it usually goes right back to 600 or so. Could it be the idle circut in the TB? I did clean it out well but didn't touch the idle soloniod. Peddle is not sticking as far as I can tell.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2022, 11:37:38 PM »
Usually cleaning it causes high idle issues. Might have to retrain it. Start by unhooking the battery.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2022, 12:17:28 AM »
Will try that but may pull it off first and clean good. I sprayed, whiped, cranked on the blades  :embarrassed:

No codes and I ran a new scanner on it yesterday.

Tell you what, I really like the MBRP exhaust. Gotten several comments on it.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2022, 07:30:01 AM »
Did the CAI today, Volant. Hardest part was the GM connector on the engine vent.

Stock intakes are like a labyrinth, throttle body was filthy, and I cleaned the MAF sensor too. Hopefully get the the exhaust tomorrow. But its my youngest's 15th birthday.

Where did you get this? Whoever had my suburban last just threw a cold air filter on and cut the air box to make it fit.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2022, 08:40:17 PM »
Will try that but may pull it off first and clean good. I sprayed, whiped, cranked on the blades  :embarrassed:

No codes and I ran a new scanner on it yesterday.

Tell you what, I really like the MBRP exhaust. Gotten several comments on it.
I wouldn't spray directly into the Tbody unless you want to buy a new one. Sounds like you did it right, just a good wiping with a wet rag.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2022, 08:53:17 PM »
Not that simple here in Ca Jon. I bought a kit, those kits don't cut it here.

I did spray right into it, then just wiped it down good. Did the relearn, still think I need to drive a little more.

Finishing up a little tool kit, first aid and such for it.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2022, 07:23:46 PM »
Scored a factory roof rack today at PnP for under $50. Have a few little pieces to get but in nice shape. Easiest part was just letting my youngest get on top to get it off.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2022, 08:44:11 PM »
Besides the roof rack, I scored a set of gm 18s alloy wheels, but not sure yet. Just $150 for the set. If I do I would go down just a hair on size. No rubbing now but 12.5 wide seems overkill, maybe 11.5?

Pulling a blank at GM for the mounting hardware. Factory nutserts are rubber coated and I like the idea of that. Factory cross over bowed, may go with aftermarket as they come off and are flat, not very pricey either.

Put a stock air dam under the front too, just $50 and it looks better.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2022, 04:11:09 PM »
These showed up today.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2022, 05:15:40 PM »
Nice JR. Getting dangerously close to an oil change

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2022, 07:33:08 PM »
Well, guess I shouldn't be showing this either,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2022, 06:30:42 AM »
Well, guess I shouldn't be showing this either,
Light bar, head unit, running board and what’s that other round thing?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2022, 12:43:14 PM »
New for lights. Mine were plugged (well one was) with a factory insert.

Bar is for reverse er worklight, thats it! Have a curved one coming for the front, sent first one back.

Generic head unit with front/rear cameras.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2022, 04:02:49 PM »
Looks way better with new headlights, air dam and fog lights. Still have to hook up the fogs. I have amber leds for them also winter driving. Understand they cut the snow better being a diff wavelength.

With the LEDs the new headlights are very nice, needed a little adjustment down and fine tuned this weekend running to the ridge.

Before and after pics.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 09:59:08 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2022, 08:06:11 AM »
It does indeed

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2022, 10:32:45 AM »
X2
Big improvement

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2023, 09:40:58 PM »
Been driving the crud out of this thing. Have put 10k miles on it already.

Hoping new wires, plugs and a cleaned up throttle body helps. I don't drive nuts, but averaging under 15mpg sucks. Rides like a tank too. May go to 285/75-17 tires vs the 33/12.5-17 on it. Might help with mileage and feel not being a HD tire? 1in shorter and narrower and a rounded more. Pretty sure it needs rear shocks/coils too.

Fixed a leak in the back that was coming from the hinge (common issue). Covered the area with self leveling RV sealer. Was literary dripping, causing a puddle in the back, and we have had a little rain. (filled a 12in deep bucket twice now) Added a little bumper-bumper, just in case.

Last night it just quit on me. Was a little hard to start but thinking its the ign switch (tracing now). Clicked a couple time, then ran and stopped. Was showing over 14v on the dash when all it stopped.
I have jumped started the Dmax with it a couple times, but left it running. Understand this can be an issue now with all the elec. crap in em.
Battery was a little low, everything works, but nothing when you turn the key. Charged the battery (was 12v, now 12.4), same. Cleaned terminals, ground but still nada.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2023, 10:04:50 PM »
What air pressure you running JR?  My dually rode like crap. I started running 40 in front and 30 in all 4 in the rear and it helped. Downside was when I towed id have to air up but since I had on board air it wasn’t such a big deal.

Worse comes to worse they make an air ride strut kit for your Tahoe …..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2023, 11:10:23 PM »
Just at 35 right now, always check. Had to get the rears rebalanced and found they were 6oz off.

Tires on it are the same we would run on our big trucks, cept just 33s.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2023, 02:30:47 PM »
Guys I need some help here. I have a no crank/run issue. Was a little hard to start (keep running), then stopped in the drive through a few blocks from home. Got it towed home.

Battery is good, new ignition switch, will crank when jumped in the fuse box. Key turns everything on, but no crank, no antitheft light (watched lots of videos) but I am still thinking this might be it. Checked voltages everywhere, all are around 12.6v. Ignition relay clicks, nothing on the "crank" relay. Switched relays, same, all fuses good.

Any ideas??

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal