Hello Guest

Author Topic: Saw this and thought of Don.....(caption contest)  (Read 788 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Saw this and thought of Don.....(caption contest)
« on: July 25, 2017, 12:05:15 AM »
https://youtu.be/3kcrQuV_vRU?t=48s

Just the part titiled "Cross Winds" at 48 seconds. It's supposed to start there if I got the link right
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:08:56 AM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Saw this and thought of Don.....(caption contest)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 01:23:43 PM »
That's pretty freaking amazing, and the passengers probably sitting there like ignorant idiots. looked seamless
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 05:27:11 PM »
That one at 2:45 made me jump
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 11:54:32 AM »
That's pretty freaking amazing, and the passengers probably sitting there like ignorant idiots. looked seamless
Aircraft have maximum cross winds they can accomodate. Tires have very short lifespans because of stuff like that, as in as little as one day! Pilot skill is front and center for a landing like that, hats off for getting a 300K+ A-340 on the deck with what must have been x-wind of 50 knots.

I did one 50K crosswind flying a CL-65 Canadair 50 seat regional jet landing at JFK. I touched down in a slide on the upwind main then as I was bringing the nose back to my left the spoilers deployed and I settled onto the mains, but still had the nose wheel off. I had full right pedal and full right aileron, as in I had my knee jammed up under the wheel to force it to the stops, and with all that I could not hold centerline. I gave it about a one second thought to firewalling the thrust and going around when it settled enough on the nose to be able to hold maybe 15-20 feet off the centerline. As we slowed enough I got the plane back on centerline, but not before Kennedy tower asked if we were OK. Guess he realized I left all my tires out there on 13R.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal