Hello Guest

Author Topic: Sons 1993 S15 Sonoma build.  (Read 618 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Sons 1993 S15 Sonoma build.
« on: December 31, 2023, 07:48:00 PM »
Well, as stated we made a change. The 4Runner is (made a $100 on it) and found this 1993 GMC Sonoma, 4.3 6, 4L60 trans 4x4. Pretty much stock, but non running when we got it. Son always wanted a truck, I talked him into the 4Runner (was pushing for a Cherokee actually)

Interior is OK, but needs TLC. Blue/grey interior, bucket seats with little jump seats in the back. About what you would expect for a 30 year old truck really.

Body is OK, but needs TLC too. Biggest thing is the left bedside is pushed in a little, but some came out with a suction cup aleady. Besides that a few small dings, but nothing needing real bodywork. Stock 15 tires and wheels and I think and open rear with the RPO codes.

When we got it, tags were expired (2 months) and it didn't run, has a fuel leak on the TBI.

Was a chore getting it onto the trailer being a non runner. Drug up a sloped driveway to the downhill street (both were steep) The little 2500# HF winch could not do it. After I drug it up to the street, I jumped in and rolled it backwards onto the trailer (everyone was screaming at me). Ended up not getting far enough onto the trailer and with the engine in the rear the load was way off. First timed I braked it was a wild ride, so we found a flat area and pushed it forward as much as we could after turning the still loaded bucket. Was fine after that.

For those that don't know that area (most of you) there are 3 ways to Clearlake. 1 is through Napa and a pain to drive in a regular car, 2 is via hwy 101 above Santo Rosa (same road type) and the way I took is up 5 through Williams which is way better for trailers. Trip home was uneventfull after that and fuel was even 50 cents less a gallon on HWY 5, so I filled up.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: Sons 1993 S15 Sonoma build.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 08:04:51 PM »
Been ordering parts for this for the past week. Mostly little stuff, TBI kit, door pins, Battery hold down and such.

So the other day I tore the TBI apart, today it stopped raining so I got back on with my boy. Did a reseal on the TBI and it fired right up! Let it idle some, checked fluids and told my boy to jump in. Drove it down the street, seemed to shift good, sounded good (has a flowmaster). No powerhouse but it felt good, can't believe I drove a standard cab for a few years.

Stock is just 160hp, looking to bump it up some with bolt ons, maybe even a cam and rockers. Doing the TBI stuff first, simple spacer and air cleaner bowl.

We are talking cam, rockers and a 2.5 Rough Country lift, tires and a rear locker. He like the prerunner stuff and look.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 09:58:46 AM »
Your spare 305 will fit nicely into it, and they already have pre fab'd conversion kits for those
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 10:27:49 AM »
I like the prospects of this build. Plentiful truck, with parts everywhere. Should be interesting to see what you two do here.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 01:05:44 PM »
One reason we chose it, lots of parts!

What 305? Out of the elky, thats gone as well as the LS swap I had. An LS may be in the future though.

Him getting a DL in Kali being under 18 is a chore. Got his permit the other day, can't even practice until he gets a "paid" lesson. Then another 5 hours after that and when he gets his CDL he can't drive with anyone whos not under 25 for 6 months. Shoot, I walked in on the 16th and drove away!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 11:50:22 AM »
??????

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 12:08:28 PM »
Staying with the 4.3 for now. For a smaller truck the V6 does good. Interior pulled apart and doing the headliner.

Found a water leak on the windshield and getting est for that now.

Did the ignition yesterday, would start without key (but starts everytime) AC runs cold, got some TBI stuff for it too.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 01:43:53 PM »
Just got a 2.5 lift for it. About all there is really but OK for the smaller truck.

Thinking about doing wheel spacers too. With a 5 on 4 3/4 thinking about 5x5 which is way more common.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 09:46:53 AM »
Just got a 2.5 lift for it. About all there is really but OK for the smaller truck.

Thinking about doing wheel spacers too. With a 5 on 4 3/4 thinking about 5x5 which is way more common.
Don't like wheel spacers but if so, then sure, 5X5 opens you to all the jeep wheels.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2024, 12:00:41 PM »
He wants to push the wheels out a little. Not a fan of spacers either, but short as possible. Told he can do that with the right wheels.

I more don't like them for the stress they put on bearings and spindles. But wheels you normally run are cast, spacers are billet and stronger than the wheel (unless steel)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2024, 04:59:36 PM »
Having worked for the wheel and tire shop for 5 years, i'm not a fan of them either; always having to be re-torqued, but if you do them i highly recommend these guys. https://customwheeladapters.com/ US made and steel, not aluminum.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2024, 12:20:08 AM »
I had 1in spaces on the elky, never had an issue but I used locktite on them. I made them too.

Tate, those are nice but pricey. Not crazy though.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 12:23:23 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2024, 12:25:06 PM »
forgot you are capable of manufacturing this sort of thing, ;-)
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2024, 12:34:46 AM »
Doing a few little things. Got the drivers door hinges fixed and getting it smogged (hopefully) in the morning.

We went for a drive to build his skill up more, and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Out stepped a steer on a side road. Speed was a full 55, dark out and Zach swerved just a little "catching" the head on the right side of the truck.

We turned around, he was shaken and could hardly turn around (missing shifts and flustered). Saw there were 5-6 steers out from a gate left open. Catch was the word as we found a horn embeded in the doorway! There was some blood around and we didn't see an injured steer?

I called 911 (was my stomping ground but now CHP?) just to let them know and to notify animal control. Chased the steers back in, locked the open gate.

No report filed but think I will call the owner to ask for compensation for the trucks damage. Sonoma needs a fender and door now. See what they have to say, can't hurt and he and shouldn't have to pay for it.

Yes, we kept the horn.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2024, 09:40:24 AM »
Wow!
That's a new one!
Did that kill the steer?
Thinking burgers... ;-)
No, actually I hate to see an animal injured/suffering.

While driving in the dark back to Hurricane UT from Enterprise, UT. I had to emergency brake to keep from hitting a pair of mule deer standing in my lane. I learned that these mulies are dump-deer! Not quick to react like the eastern whitetails.

Glad you two are OK. and also kinda happy that your boy has a story of his own to tell!

;-)

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2024, 03:53:49 PM »
Never saw the steer after the impact. thought it may have gone down, but no. Sure it has a headache though.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2024, 08:59:53 PM »
That is crazy, good think he spotted them when he did

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal