FOOD CORNER > Farming, Gardening, and Raising Your Own Food

Hydroponic

<< < (3/3)

stlaser:
So after some research and figuring out this is going to be a several month long endeavor dipping our toes into this we decided we needed a book.

We also upon research were very interested in raising fish in conjunction w/ vegetables. So I ordered this book a day ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Smith:
Years ago I built a pond/water feature and tried to have a few fish too. Well the herons and coons took care of the fish so now we just have the water feature but,  I can add bleach once in a while to help control the algae so I think the herons and coons did me a favor.

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: Bob/OlallaWa on April 12, 2020, 02:02:40 PM ---Years ago I built a pond/water feature and tried to have a few fish too. Well the herons and coons took care of the fish so now we just have the water feature but,  I can add bleach once in a while to help control the algae so I think the herons and coons did me a favor.

--- End quote ---
I once had extensive inside/outside koi ponds. Had a pretty good balance of plant/fish life. THose blue heron with their long legs would come to snack on my fish. One of my koi was valued at $1200 and many more valued in excess of $500 ea.

After learning what those long beaked monsters were capable of, they only visited once.

Then I figured that if you aimed at that bulge in the middle of their long legs, well you could turn them into a one legged wonder bird that would fly off noisily and likely tell all his buddies what happened after each crash landing he experienced...

stlaser:
Yeah, had a friend who ran a smorgasbord for those herons......

Interestingly enough I was talking to a friend today and he was telling me how when he used to raise minnows for fishing (bait n tackle store) they were having issues with fish kill offs in tanks. They used some supposed fancy filter system until he came up with a 5 galling bucket filter system he built using lava rock and charcoal filter. Never had tank kill after that so will probably incorporate his design. The 5 gallon bucket with lava rock aeratored the fish tank, no separate aerator needed.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version