TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

Question of the logic/feasibility of this idea

(1/5) > >>

dave945:
So, as the topic title states, my wife and I have been talking about projects that need to be done around the house. One of those topics is getting the garage set up the way we want so it will be useable for us. An idea she put forth was tearing down the old structure and putting up a clear span metal building with a higher ceiling and single slope roof.  The current garage is about 6000 sq ft, fully drywalled walls and ceiling and metal roofed. It has just under 8 ft ceilings in most of it. The drywall on the ceiling is in really rough shape. There was little to no maintenance done on it before we bought it and there were raccoons living above the ceiling in the insulation. So there is raccoon poop and urine all throughout. There is also some rot in the sill plates on the walls. Not to mention some of the roof has started to leak along the east side. The entire thing is very low slope and I think that is part of the problem.

What do you think of the idea of replacing it completely with a new metal building utilizing the existing slab/foundation?  I’m sure there might be a need to put in new footers for posts. My wife likes the idea of not having all the existing posts that are in the garage. It was expanded multiple times to get to where itnis today. It would give me ceiling height for a lift and anything else we want to do in the future.

I know this has been rambling, but wanted to throw it out there so I can have all the possible arguments/discussion points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oklawall:
I like the idea but have a question, is the current slab a standard size? If not the roof trusses and metal may become problematic

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

dave945:
Not a standard footprint, I would have to do some some work to get it to fit right, but I think it would be doable. (This from the Air Force guy who is certifiable).

oklawall:

--- Quote from: dave945 on May 17, 2023, 07:26:42 PM ---Not a standard footprint, I would have to do some some work to get it to fit right, but I think it would be doable. (This from the Air Force guy who is certifiable).

--- End quote ---
I think that if you are willing to make it a standard size the only thing holding you back is signing the check but that is from another Air Force guy

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

stlaser:
Steel fabricated buildings can be manufactured to your foundation but it’s not cheap because it’s custom and it’s steel.

So you can get or have fabricated U shape steel pole barn column bases that could be bolted to the top of the existing footer / wall foundation. Then it’s a simple matter of erecting a pole barn w/ prefab trusses on that foundation. It will be the most cost effective and quickest construction. I’m actually having three of these type bases cut for my build atm. If I can help with any of that let me know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version