Hello Guest

Author Topic: double jack stew  (Read 6224 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
double jack stew
« on: October 17, 2014, 12:31:37 PM »
i am going to make this tomorrow, i will post a few pics and let you all know how it turned out.

Ingredients:
Marinade:
•   3 pounds hanger steak, cut into 2-inch cubes, trimmed as needed
•   1/2 cup Irish stout
•   1/4 cup applejack (recommended: Laird's)
•   1/4 cup whiskey (recommended: Jack Daniel's)
•   2 tablespoons stone-ground Dijon mustard
•   2 tablespoons agave
•   1 tablespoon granulated garlic
•   2 teaspoons kosher salt
•   2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
Stew:
•   4 tablespoons olive oil
•   1 Spanish onion, cut into 3/4-inch dice
•   5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
•   1/3 cup whiskey (recommended: Jack Daniel's)
•   4 cups beef stock, divided
•   2 bay leaves
•   1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed fine
•   1/2 teaspoon dried savory, crushed fine
•   4 red potatoes, washed and quartered
•   1 turnip, peeled, halved and sliced into 1/2-inch half rounds
•   2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch coins
•   1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
•   Kosher salt
•   1/2 cup buttermilk
•   1/4 cup heavy cream
•   2 tablespoons butter

Directions:
Pair this hearty stew with a dry Irish stout.

For the marinade: In a gallon re-sealable bag, combine all the ingredients and marinate for 1 hour at room temperature. Drain well and pat dry.

For the stew: In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, add the oil and the onions and cook until translucent. Remove from the pot and reserve.

In batches (if needed, do not crowd), add the steak to the pot and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per batch, turning to evenly and deeply brown. Adjust the heat as needed. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons flour and stir to coat well.

Deglaze the pan with the whiskey and 1/2 cup of the beef stock, scraping any bits from the bottom. Add the remaining stock and return the onions to the pot. Add the bay leaves, thyme and savory and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

After 2 hours have passed, add the potatoes, turnip and carrots. Cover and cook for an additional 35 to 45 minutes.

Add in the vinegar and salt, to taste.

In a measuring cup, combine the buttermilk and cream and whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons flour. Add to the stew, stirring gently to combine, and cook for an additional 5 to 6 minutes. Turn off the heat, add in 2 tablespoons butter and serve
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: double jack stew
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:26:44 PM »
^^^^This guy is serious! Cooks and kills, what an interesting skillset!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 05:25:01 PM »
so this stew turned out better than I could have imagined.  to be honest I just made a second batch of it today since the last batch didn't last but a day or 3.  here are the pics of the assembly and the final product.

here are the wet ingredients mixed together and the flank steak cubed, in the bag ready to marinate for about an hour.

here are all the ingredients that will go into the pot once the meat has marinated and been browned.

I started off in a cast iron dutch oven, but my pot was not big enough (this is a 5 or 6 qt pot, time to buy the 12qt big boy).

here is everything transferred over to a bigger pot.

here is the end result. 

on the second batch I doubled the turnips, added another potato and diced the taters smaller than I did last time.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 05:29:34 PM »
I almost forgot, here is the recipe I used to make some homemade biscuits to go along with the stew.

Ingredients
•   2 cups flour
•   4 teaspoons baking powder
•   1/4 teaspoon baking soda
•   3/4 teaspoon salt
•   2 tablespoons butter
•   2 tablespoons shortening
•   1 cup chilled buttermilk

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt.)

Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.

Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first, but hey, that's life.)

Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 05:50:01 PM »
Gonna give this recipe another.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 09:47:17 PM »
Did it have a whiskey flavor? I don't do brown liquor.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 10:02:03 PM »
Not a whiskey flavor, but more of a really deep layered flavor.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 08:56:49 AM »
That would be good in the Dutch oven over the fire on a cold campout. I'm thinking about making this for our cooking competition at the snowflake camp out.

It was called Snowflake before snowflake became a derogatory term. But we didn't change the name because we are not a bunch of snowflakes. 
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal