Hello Guest

Author Topic: Big Dave's honey do's; what Big Dave does when handling/not handling twins  (Read 76910 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
 Ok fellas.  I have posted this photo before I will again for example

From left to right.  Being right side of my black tool box to the wall is 7 feet.  2 feet minimum away from the wall for depth. My plan is to box in my compressor with a work bench.   
I have since removed the wheels and blocks ( hockey pucks will be here tomorrow ) to save me some height restrictions.   

1. What height should I make the bench assuming I have any choice of height I want.  Standing.  Not sitting

2. What wood from the local Home Depot should I use for my top.   

3. Should I do vertical supports to the ground or should I do angled to the wall then I have floor space ?

4.What have you all used in the past to mount a vice to the bench?
I have a vice it's kinda small 3 inch jaws. I want a bigger one. Harbor freight cheapos ok?

5. One of my favorite finds was and is my bench grinder it's amazing!   What should I do to mount it to my bench?

6.What good ideas can we come up with for the debris that comes out of the back of the grinder? My previous set up made a terrible mess of my painted garage walls and my bench.

7. I want to use peg board on the back wall and maybe screw a sheet of wood to the bottom of the metal cabinet so I can attach a work light of some kind.  Changes or other thought I should consider?

Keeping the early morning rolling, the afternoon hours snoring, the late night hours feeling the powers.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 05:33:13 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Building a work bench.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 10:32:40 PM »
Measurements in cabinet height tomorrow

Keeping the early morning rolling, the afternoon hours snoring, the late night hours feeling the powers.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 12:00:32 AM »
Found a free min.

Ok the from floor to top of the a/c is 37 inches.  The widest part of the a/c is 2ft.
The wall and the tool box is seven feet.   
The metal shelves are 57 inches from the floor.   Now that I look at this I think the bench will have a L shape to is down the side of the garage.   

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 01:14:26 AM »
Remember you are going to need airflow around that compressor.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 05:18:49 AM »
What would you define air flow as.   ? I had given thought to mounting a fan on the back portion ( cpu size ) for extra air but have since though that would be overkill. 

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 09:05:54 AM »
I'd flip it around so the pulleys are against the wall to keep little fingers and such outta there.....
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 10:25:46 AM »

I'd flip it around so the pulleys are against the wall to keep little fingers and such outta there.....

As the compressor sits now.  In order for me to plug in to power I have to move the dryer and plug in behind that.   I have just enough power cord to make the reach if I turned it I would not.   However the black shroud has some pretty good coverage

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 12:17:36 PM »
Might replace the cord with a heavier longer one.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:32:49 AM by Atkinsmatt »
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 12:46:08 PM »
The final hope is to add some power behind it.   

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 01:44:39 PM »
How would you all feel about a pig tail cord for 220. As a smaller length of cord? A splice in the wire seems shady.    But if I got another four feet or so I could add two more plugs and use sort of an extension cord to flip the compressor around

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 03:13:22 PM »
I think you should wire a plug-in to the home system so you aren't moving the dryer and adding extension cords each time you need to use it. It will be ready to go whenever you need air.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 03:39:36 PM »
dave, can you give us a pic from a farther distance......so we can see all around the area that you are wanting to build this in.....?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 05:02:20 PM »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 05:02:49 PM »
Pardon the mess.  One of the reasons I need a darn bench.    I procrastinated doing this as I want to move so badly

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 06:52:52 PM »
Is the dryer on the other side of the wall? It would be nice to have  220  in the garage. You could use it for more than just the compressor.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 07:44:58 PM »
220 will be handy for many things. I see you have some Craftsman Nextec tools too. I have a couple sets of those.

Love those overhead cabinets too. Locks make it nice and were probably a bargain.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 10:09:56 PM »
I think I'd drop a 50 amp 220V plug right behind the compressor, then make up a 220V extension cable out of some heavy three stran wire. That way you could unplug the compressor and plug in a mig and have a range of travel.

I put two 50amp 220VAC plugs in my garage. One for the compressor, and the 50' extension cord on the other for either the welder or the plasma.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 10:18:18 PM »
HD or lowes has 3 or 4 wire cable to make up a longer cord or extention.  I made a 20 ft 4 wire extention cord for my welder.  Piece of cake.  Look at some tops on Global Industrial or Uline.  You can get the butcher block style tops about 6 ft to use for the top.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Mrwoody

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
2x6  tongue and groove.  Pu the compressor outside under a roof and keep the noise outside

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 11:39:28 PM »
You can get butcher block counter from lumber liquidators too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 11:49:48 PM »
Ok. I moved forward today,  I won't be rewiring for the mean time, HOA will not allow any out buildings. Yes I know HOA's suck some times.    I managed to get some pretreated birch board.  I have designed the bench so I can change tops as needed.  I can set a fresh top in and screw it down with some smaller corner counter sunk screws.  The compressor will be able to slide out if needed( heaven forbid) and I think the shelves need to go up higher ten inches or so.   As is tonight

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Building a work bench.
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 01:43:36 AM »
Ok I lied.  I couldn't put away the mess.  Needed to finish it.   I am sure the neighbors hate me a little after screw guns and skill saw at 11:40pm.   

Anyway here is all but finished product.

All that is needed  no is some shorter screws to attach the top into the 1x1 that the top plate rests on

Then I am going to use the same 1 x to frame in some peg board and use it to hang random tools and what not.  Also going to  look for that new vise and bring and mount my bench grinder.   

What do you all think?
I do have some sanding of edges and then I will stain the 2x4s with the top removed so it gives it some contrast and styles

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 01:44:29 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 02:13:28 AM »
So far so good. As for the 220 just get an RV cord. When I was looking for my plasma the best I found was an 50 amp RV cord. Plus the end has an LED to show you have power. Buy the time you get cable at $1 a foot, 2 plugs it is cheaper.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 03:28:50 AM »
I'll have too look where did you find yours at jr ?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 08:27:07 AM »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 08:29:31 AM »
Oh and the bench looks good Dave,  I assume you put a wall brace at the inside corner by the compressor too?

I like the removable top idea.  Depending on how much you twist on what ever is in the vice, make sure that top is secured well.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 08:37:43 AM »
If you are going to do any kind of welding or grinding Id cover the top with sheet metal. Did that in our shop. 3/16 thick if I remember right.Comes up the front a couple inches to protect the front and up a couple inches in the back for a back splash. All one piece we had it bent at the local welding/fab shop.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 09:07:39 AM »
If you are going to do any kind of welding or grinding Id cover the top with sheet metal. Did that in our shop. 3/16 thick if I remember right.Comes up the front a couple inches to protect the front and up a couple inches in the back for a back splash. All one piece we had it bent at the local welding/fab shop.
Wood and cardboard make pretty good temporary welding tables!
Maybe not...

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2015, 01:57:22 PM »
No welding for me.   I did nix the hinged top.  Didn't want a piano hinge the who distance.   The compressor can stay put hell or high water :)

I will look for a different plug for the power. I'll also flip my tank fittings to the left side of the tank so it's not in the dark corner. Still a few things to do

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2015, 02:35:07 PM »
Got mine on Ebay, 25ft 50amp for $62 shipped.

25ft will go anywhere in the garage, out to the street plus a little as the plug is in the front of the garage. Both my mig and my plasma will also work on 110, but 220 is the way to go.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2015, 05:23:09 PM »
Dave, I'd keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist for a good OLD vise (you can set up email alerts when a certain keyword shows up "vise"). I bought a HF and its junk. The jaws don't open and close smoothly, probably due to the crummy Chinese casting. Maybe I just need to oil it up real good, but there are times that I can't spin the handle freely with one finger because it binds up.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2015, 07:43:59 PM »
I picked up a vise from homedepot.  I only wish is that the base was higher

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 08:35:10 PM »
Great pickup.  Good work on the bench.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 09:38:15 PM »
I inherited my grandfathers Milton vise.  I haven't measured it but that thing weighs 50 lbs if an ounce.  I need to give it a good cleaning.  Just took it off the bench at home and moved the bench to fit the wifes new (to her) SUV in the garage.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 01:53:16 PM »
If you try to tighten a harbor freight Chinese bench vise with too much force, the threads in the casting will strip out.  Not sure if that is common for all of them, but mine stripped out pretty easy.  I was tightening by hand, not using a cheater bar or anything like that.  Might have been a bad casting, but it looked fine at first.  Good news is HF traded it easily for another one.  I have been very gentle with the second one and it's a couple years old and still working.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 02:09:10 PM »
I guess my problem is very gentle and bench vise don't fit together at my place. Mine is one of those old heavy hand me downs. I have ripped the bench mounting holes a couple times but the vise is still there waiting to be abused.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2015, 12:33:29 AM »
Tonight I wired some power.   I stole power from a outlet existing.  You can see the grey flex tube running down the middle of the wall.   It works.  I need to add a bigger breaker.  It's only on a 15 amp   Need to add s 20

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2015, 12:35:02 AM »
Plus you notice the large stack of wood.   That's redwood I need to sand with 150 grit then seal before I install on my deck rebuild.  I'll be sure to take photos.  As a future heads up.  Tomorrow Sherwin Williams is having a large sale.  Almost 50 % off.  Go get your paint fellas

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2015, 08:12:13 AM »
that garage sure is shaped funny.....

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2015, 11:24:18 AM »
It's square.   

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2015, 11:24:40 AM »
The panoramic photo might be messing you up a bit

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2015, 01:03:02 AM »
Tonight I got my power finished up, added a 20 amp breaker and attached a light to the bottom of the shelf.  I need another one to add

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2015, 06:58:42 AM »
Yeah Dave. That was a poor attempt at humor. Looking good!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2015, 09:30:11 AM »
Sorry Tex.   No one is home tell tell me jokes.   Sorry your fell on deaf ears

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2015, 12:08:05 PM »
Yeah Dave. That was a poor attempt at humor. Looking good!

Don't sweat it TRN
I thought it was round too...(Not really)

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2015, 01:57:06 PM »
Dave, be careful with that 20 amp breaker. If the wire is only 14 gauge (typical for 15amp) then you are technically going against electrical code. Can 14ga wire handle a 20amp load, probably, but just be careful.
Ryan

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Building a work bench.
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2015, 04:58:12 PM »
How do I figure out what gauge wire is coming from the wall.   Can I measure it?

The stuff I added on the outside of the wall I know is 14 ga wire per the package 14/2

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 04:59:38 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2015, 05:19:30 PM »
14ga is usually in a white outer jacket, 12ga in yellow.

You can use your wire strippers to measure the actual size of the copper.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electrical-ac-dc/445333-romex-14-2-g-garage-20-amp-breaker.html
Ryan

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2015, 05:53:04 PM »
I guess I'll put the old breaker back into in, see how long it takes to trip

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2015, 06:21:28 PM »
the wire will almost always have the type THHN, etc, and the gauge and temperature rating.  I would look at it very carefully.  The length of the run is also important.  Longer runs have more resistance and reduce the ampacity.

http://www.cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts

14 is only good for 15 amps.   Don't play games with electricity.  Not worth burning a house down over.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal