Hello Guest

Author Topic: ZR-1  (Read 617 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
ZR-1
« on: December 09, 2021, 12:25:18 PM »
So it seems some folks from a former life just resurfaced.

That's a good thing

One a green beret, one an Apache helo crew-dog.

And both friends and good men.

And both own ZR-1 vettes.

Now you all may not know but I have been a Corvette guy for most of my life. I have owned a 1969 427 coup, a 1973, a 1987, a 1994 Z07, and a 2003 Z06.

These guys are like the bad little gnomes sitting on my shoulder wisperin' "Don, you need a ZR-1...Buy a ZR-1"
Frankly, its hard not to listen.

My Z06 was freakin fast, but my 94 lt1 with ported heads, cam and exhaust along with a tune was 11 second fast too.

The idea of driving an old warmed over ZR-1 around has me intrigued...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: ZR-1
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 01:30:53 PM »
I knew these guys were going to be trouble, just knew it!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 01:33:23 PM »
I knew these guys were going to be trouble, just knew it!

Come on now Ken, just because they don’t care for your gf isn’t a reason to go throwing shade…..  :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 01:42:31 PM »
I can’t wait for the Duravette build, this is going to be truly epic!!!!!

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 02:21:41 PM »
Hold on boss one project at a time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 02:57:45 PM »
I support this initiative! Z06 is on my short list until I can no longer afford the tickets and tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
ZR-1
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 03:57:44 PM »
Hold on boss one project at a time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
This was my first thought as well.

But maybe he’s gonna collect parts for both builds and send them to a shop so he can have two complete and operational rigs lickity split!

But a duramax powered vette would be awesome.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 03:58:21 PM by wyorunner »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 04:19:16 PM »
So Chad (Green beret dude) found the car. Garage kept, 32,000 miles, perfect condition.

Owner wanted to install a new AC Compressor, condenser and factory radiator prior to sale. When it's in, I am thinking I will take it.

Look, no matter what I end up paying for it, it will only appreciate in value.

ZR-1's are not only fast, they are very rare
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 04:01:01 PM »
So Chad (Green beret dude) found the car. Garage kept, 32,000 miles, perfect condition.

Owner wanted to install a new AC Compressor, condenser and factory radiator prior to sale. When it's in, I am thinking I will take it.

There’s no pics, so clearly you must be buying bottled air?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 07:18:58 PM »

There’s no pics, so clearly you must be buying bottled air?
Are you trying to get fired!!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 10:27:58 PM »
Don already has a motor for it in the Sub,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline ZedR-1

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 01:11:14 PM »
No he doesn’t that’s blasphemy

a lsa blower on a ls motor in a zr1 would be like a Detroit diesel in a Duesenberg or a Honda k series with a turbo in a 67 Muria … you just don’t do it or why would you want to slow it down….

So parts that Big Don didn’t inform you of …so I’ll do this
Myself and Chad are both Zr1 snobs… we raced them when new and built cars to destroy them… I remember my first 11 second pass in my mustang on street tires and I had this feeling now what…
So here goes
Gm bought lotus and at the time the world was saying American couldn’t build a sports car or even a dependable car
Gm called up lotus formula one team and said we need a high reving v8 at 350 cubic inches for a world beating sports car…why didn’t they say 427 anyway
So they did… car is 4 inches wider in the rear starting at the front of the doors one inches shy of a Testarossa but lower than the red head.
It got a Dana 44 plus 3.45:1 gear
Larger input shaft on the zf transmission that has a .50 sixth gear
Rear wheels of 9.5 inches from a base model put in the front
New 11 inch wide rear wheels for the rear
These cars get 275/45/17 in the front 315/35/17 rear
Twin fuel pumps and an extra key on the dash to active full power mode
Suspension has 3 position switch to active the stepping motors on top of all 4 bilstein shocks but computer controls all 18 positions this system cost bilstein over a million in development for the Porsche 959
Larger springs and larger sway bars than a base model
Z51 13 inch front snd 12 inch rear rotors
Different sport seats than a base model
Bose stereo system
Reflective tint on glass especially windscreen that was later found to reflect police radar which corvette denied doing on purpose
Now the engine and why it’s the only special engine corvette has ever had until the lt6 in next summers z06

All aluminum lt5, 32 valve quad cam 350, buckets and not followers and no pushrods to float at 8k rpm, 12 quart oil system, at high rpm water pump flows over 100 gpm, 3 throttle body butterflies, one 25 mm for driving around town and twin 58’s when progressive blades need to kick in… now in full power mode ecu actives secondary fuel pump , actives the extra 8 intake runners and 8 extra fuel injectors… crank is in the block not like any other v8 hanging off the main caps… 90-92 cars make 375 and 385 torque, 93-95 cars make 405 and 385 torque but we’re under rated for insurance purposes and to beat the world which they did…
Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati all fell victim to the zr-1
Skid pad, braking, 1/4 mile, road course and also endurance…. I’ll post endurance video in a moment from you tube

So here’s a video of mine 1st gear hit at 4500 to a buck twenty

https://drive.google.com/file/d/180SF7jLD3uOTHQeXs0wTXvnzn4lDcRyy/view

after I got it and went back through Mexico
At time k&n filter chip and a borla old school stainless cat back and an innovate lm2 wideband
Bad coils or wires also had a couple bad injectors because pre 93 injectors are not e10 safe , car was running 10.7 air fuel ratio and fuel would burn you eyes so rich…. Even with a miss at the time I could still balance a nickel on the plenum while idling… one of the cars claim to fame

So since then new injectors, electromotive coils, plugs, ngk wires, Baer aluminum hat rotors around 15 to 20 lbs lighter,  ram twin disk clutch with aluminum flywheel 26 lbs lighter, DeWitts radiator, new wheel bears times 4 new u joints , new shocks, new tires, and the boxes for my girls Christmas today.
She’s getting silicone intake tube, silicone hoses, ported intake and injector housing, new ignition module , knock sensor, header gaskets so I can remove the stock 1 3/4 in trade for the no cat 2 inch coated set, cut outs electronically controlled by full power mode, and this spring looks like a Detroit locker with 4.10:1 gears unless I can get a tail housing for the gear vendor overdrive I have…then it’s going like 4.56 etc…

So how do they run I’ve beat up on
392 chargers
5.0 coyote mustangs all versions
Not one but 2 gt350’s one second gear hit another in 5th
Challengers
Had a zl1 spin he was highly ticked because I lifted top of 3rd and he still hadn’t caught up
Ran a new z-28 but top of 3rd he only had a car and a half
And top of 4th ran a c7 grand sport with k&n exhaust and a tune and he got me like 2 1/2 to 3 from a 30 roll car was going into 5th… was making a little more hp and weight about the same
All new muscle is heavy might make 500 but I’m close to 1000 lbs lighter…

Endurance history video of record beating run

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vqk0dCaFjBk&t=4s

No power adder stroker making a pass down the road from bowling green assembly plant and the museum …. As we call it Mecca for corvette

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZrNvJxDD-0

But the best part is the sound it’s a symphony of mechanical harmony that goes from a sweet romantic tune to pure spitting hate madness at the drop of a dime..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl-tU44kABY

Plus mine has now 142k and has only one rattle, rides better than a new car with no vibrations and handles unlike any car I’ve ever been in… I grew up in the mountains of NC and went back this summer snd couldn’t make is scream in a corner and I tried it just went…you have to remember these cars did almost one g on the skid pad on gatorbacks in 1990…. We have real tires now

Enjoy the videos of Don’s future car

Offline ZedR-1

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2021, 01:17:52 PM »
Forgot the engine designer not only did the 375 and 405 he developed version 3 with 8 injectors and variable valve timing and sold design to Porsche and Honda
Later worked for John and finished the vtec version that made 575 and after Mr Lingenfelter past he moved to Detroit and developed the scat hellcat snd demon programs for dodge brothers

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal