Hello Guest

Author Topic: Wife says get a new truck  (Read 611 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Wife says get a new truck
« on: January 22, 2022, 08:08:51 PM »
Ya, Wife is tired of my truck and Suburban projects.

So this is how this all started. We were planning around the purchase of a new camper. Reason: Park it often down at Ft. Stewart so we can see our Pre-Ranger there several times a year for a week at a time, and Va-ca in the Savannah area, which we like.

So Kat listened to me way too much and she thinks I should buy a big slide-in camper because I keep talking about driving to the Artic Ocean and touring around Canada in the summer. She thinks the slide in option would be the best move.

But, that introduces a host of issues.

First of all is that I would need a 1 ton Dually. We have been looking at them and I believe I'd chose the F-350 as my first choice, the Ram 3500 second and that still-ugly and less powerful 3500 Silverado as a more distant third choice.

The F350 that would best fit would be a Lariat at around $75K or a Ranch edition at $83k-$85k list. Now in my mind that is prohibitive in cost. She wants me to sell my 2011 Duramax, my 2002 Suburban and that pop up camper I built. But after all of that I would still need $$$ to purchase the slide in which costs around $80K new and maybe $45k used. My favorites are the Host Mammoth, the Everest and something else they build, the Bigfoot triple slide and another one from Chalet. They are all 11' 6" long and weigh somewhere near 6,000 or more.

So, I'm bent up over this. I just powder-coated the wheels and some suspension parts on my Duramax, and I have to say, I made one POOR choice in colors. Thinking a white wheel would look retro, it actually looks hick-ish and I am not happy at all with it.

So I have a Suburban which cost me more than my first house to sell, a Duramax with only 134k on it which is perfectly fine and pretty good looking still, but in it's 11th year, and a camper which did not make it to the Trans-America camp trip due to a variety of reasons.

And on top of everything I am just about done with projects of the magnitude I have tackled. Oh, yea, she is about 500% against putting a D-max into the burb. She says "You aren't spending all that time in that garage again... on and on...

The fact is she is right about many of the points she makes. Things like, I'm going to be 70 in a couple of years, need to spend time with people while they are still here...I have a cabin to build down farmside, and stuff like that. Hard to deny any of that.

I'd say I am in a quandary of my own making here.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Wife says get a new truck
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 09:15:35 PM »
Your wife sounds really smart…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 09:53:53 PM »
I wouldn’t let her talk you into selling the black truck,  you will regret that every day.   That dually will be nice until you have to go farm side unless she is offering up her commie Cummins of a Nissan for the farm duty.

The burb should go sure enough.   

Why sell the pop up.   Why not use it?  Have you ever even spent one night in it sleeping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 08:29:22 PM »
You do have to finish the farm. You are getting older, so she's right on both accounts. You've been saying yourself you want a dually to do heavier towing with. Sell the 2011?? ehh you could probably keep that, and use it for the daily routine, sell the Suburban and pop up and start looking at your options. Nothing wrong with streamlining your life.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 09:00:59 PM »
OK, I'm hearing everything

Thing is, I don't know how I could keep the black truck with the crazy cost of a new F350. I just priced out a F350 dually King ranch at $86,000!!!!!!!!!!!!

With a price tag that high, I'd need to sell my black truck to help pay for the new truck. I can loose the burb and that won't hurt, but here's the thing. I still have to buy a camper!

Now, I have been considered putting my SVL-75 to work. If I do that, then I'm suddenly talking $10K or more of additional monthly income. Those machines make a ton of money. From a low of $800 a day up to double that. So taking out fuel and maintenance that's still a grand a day I could make off that machine, so, that opens up a lot. Additionally, I will be selling Rocks from my farm and that, too can yield a ton of income.

So I have a bunch of things to think about for sure

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 09:33:45 PM »
OK, I'm hearing everything

Thing is, I don't know how I could keep the black truck with the crazy cost of a new F350. I just priced out a F350 dually King ranch at $86,000!!!!!!!!!!!!

With a price tag that high, I'd need to sell my black truck to help pay for the new truck. I can loose the burb and that won't hurt, but here's the thing. I still have to buy a camper!

Now, I have been considered putting my SVL-75 to work. If I do that, then I'm suddenly talking $10K or more of additional monthly income. Those machines make a ton of money. From a low of $800 a day up to double that. So taking out fuel and maintenance that's still a grand a day I could make off that machine, so, that opens up a lot. Additionally, I will be selling Rocks from my farm and that, too can yield a ton of income.

So I have a bunch of things to think about for sure

King ranch? You buying a truck to work or play? Keep the black truck, it’s nice and has power you like. Buy a Dually cab n chassis truck with a flat bed and get the 7.3 Godzilla motor instead of the diesel. Lower your expectations about doing zero to 60 in 2 seconds with a 20k trailer. My 2 cents…….
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Wife says get a new truck
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 10:00:03 PM »
I wont argue about whether to go lariat, Platinum or King Ranch, but you’ll never get more for your 2011 that you will right now.  With the chip shortage prices are sky high on used trucks so take advantage of it and the leverage that to buy a new truck.

Not to disagree with my friend Shawn but I’ll take 1000ft/lbs versus 475 any day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 10:04:00 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 11:05:12 PM »
https://youtu.be/CI5INrXHMTY

Wife and I’s next truck will be a cab n chassis drw 7.3 w/ a flat bed. Crew cab long bed 4x to pull horse trailer among other things. And no I’m not getting rid of fummins, this will be wife’s truck.

To me this 7.3L goes back to the 90’s when you had the first turbo diesels and the old reliable ford 460. Yeah that 460 would be misfiring and popping w/ a leaky exhaust manifold but still hold it’s own pulling a trailer next to the early 7.3 diesels. The maintenance cost with the new diesels is stupid and not budget friendly in any way. If I can get a gas motor with lower operating costs to do the job then that’s what I’ll be doing. At some point we all have a budget and tossing good money after bad decision can be fun but at what cost when you have x other projects that need completed. Ie: a homestead…….

Charles is right about getting money out of the old truck. From what I’m reading that won’t last this year, we will see.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 11:19:18 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 12:15:30 PM »
I hear you...

But

Just chatted with the Ford dealer. his comment: We are not prepared to negotiate prices at this time we will however order the truck you want for MSRP

I told them I was no longer interested, and that these prices are insane!

I priced out that King Ranch and it came in with taxes right at $90K

Anyone hear that? $90,000 for a truck? Frigging insane! Now I know Kat thinks that my truck will fall apart now that it is over 10 years old, but let's say I get $40k for it in a sale, which I should. That leaves $50K to pay. Keep in mind, my truck cost just under $60 when I purchased it. To me, this is insane. I can't see myself paying those prices, where is the value? What makes a truck worth that much? That and the fact that the dealerships now treat us like cattle, troubling themselves to interrupt their day to order a truck for one of the minions.

Things sure have changed!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 01:28:27 PM »
Take the redneck skirting off the new trailer at the farm, hook it to the bumper of ole blacky, take the money I just saved you and give me a raise!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 04:38:15 PM »
Take the redneck skirting off the new trailer at the farm, hook it to the bumper of ole blacky, take the money I just saved you and give me a raise!

THIS!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal