Hello Guest

Author Topic: food allergies  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
food allergies
« on: October 14, 2015, 07:42:39 AM »
Anyone else have a child with food allergies? Our youngest has them pretty bad. Eggs, chicken, soy, milk, goats milk, wheat and everything in the wheat family including oats.  At first we had no idea what was going on. He would scratch himself bloody. He did it so bad one night in the car it looked like someone was murdered in his car seat. body was covered in scales. Dr was pulling his hair out trying to figure out whats wrong. Changing formulas, try this cream try that cream. Finally we went to an allergist. Found a good one in Omaha that also a professor at UCLA.
Doc took one look at him and said the scales were a skin infection from all the scratching. Give him a bleach bath every day. One or 2 cap fulls in a his normal size bath. They tested him found out with in 15 minutes what was wrong. Once we got a hold of his diet and beat the infection he is so much happier. He is 2 now. The next 2 paragraphs I copied and pasted off my wife's Facebook status.

Yesterday he was retested for all of the things he was tested for at 8 months old. Only one new allergy, Cats. Thankfully we only have outdoor cats. He loves them so much and I hate that he's developed an allergy to them. As for food allergies, milk & eggs were the same as before. Wheat actually decreased to one number away from intolerance but still an allergy. Soybean went from an intolerance to high number just like milk & eggs.

Banana, walnut and chicken were all slight intolerance. He loves bananas so that bothered me. He's never had an issue eating them. He goes back in Dec for a checkup. He was put on Allegra allergy meds, an antihistamine for his itching and an inhaler for his cough & wheezing from the gravel road dust as well as soybean dust from the fields. Otherwise he's healthy, lungs & heart sound great.

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: food allergies
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 10:39:51 AM »
Man that's rough. Our friend's daughter has similar issues. Glad to hear they got his figured out and have a good plan of attack. I was in and out of the hospital with asthma attacks since I was 4 until the NW Asthma & Allergy clinic and Dr Furukawa figured out my allergies. Just to show the light at the end of the tunnel, I was on 6-8 different medications every day until I was 17 but now take nothing and my allergies are nearly non existent.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 10:48:50 AM »
That's rough... My niece and nephew are the same way. It's terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 04:41:43 PM »
I never had food allergies but allergic to dust, molds, ragweed etc. Fall was hell for me as a kid. I missed Thanksgiving one year because I could not get out of bed with the wheezing etc. I too outgrew them though and am so happy I did. I really hope that is the case for your little guy Jon. There is nothing worse than feeling helpless as your child suffers.  :-[

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 01:58:21 AM »
Hopefully he will grow out of many of them. Glad you found out before it was hospital visits and long sleepless nights.

He is cute, does he look like you or mom??
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 05:05:01 AM »
My step son was deathly allergic to dairy, eggs, and tree nuts. He's almost 17. Only issue now is tree nuts.

"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 07:41:16 AM »
The doc said by the time he is in Kindergarten he should out grow most of it. I hope so. The worst is the soy. We live on a farm surrounded with soy bean fields. Cant move to town. Not an option. That is worse. The grain elevators have their fans running and that blows the dust out. Cant get away from it this time of year. especially when its this dry. Hes doing pretty good. He don't know any difference and is a happy child. We get his favorite snack foods at Whole Foods but the nearest is in Omaha or Lincoln 2 hours away. The wife got down there the other day and you should have seen his face when when he seen everything. He knew right away what he was getting and couldn't be happier. It like me after I haven't had a beer in a week and I finally get a 6 pack. LOL

Hopefully he will grow out of many of them. Glad you found out before it was hospital visits and long sleepless nights.

He favors me more than mom but some expressions he makes I see my mother in law.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 10:04:42 AM »

He favors me more than mom but some expressions he makes I see my mother in law.

Is that a good expression, or one where he's angry with you? (LOL!)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 01:26:02 PM »
He watched part of an episode of walking dead. That's his zombie face. He Went around for week growling and pretending to bite. 2 years old and one heck of an imagination.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 01:26:51 PM by Farmer Jon »

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 02:23:35 PM »
Jon,

We are familiar to what you are dealing with. Two things I would ask/suggest the first is have they tested to see if he can have baked eggs or baked milk, like you would get in a muffin or cake. Many people who are allergic to eggs and dairy, can consume baked goods that have milk and eggs, it changes the protein structure of them when they bond with the other ingredients. If he hasn't been tested for it I would suggest it, because if they can consume it and do, they have a better chance at kicking the allergies.

Second thing, check Amazon for his favorite treats. Cheaper than whole foods can set up a monthly delivery subscription and they have a large number of items available. Pm me if you have questions about anything.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 08:54:23 AM »
One step a head of you..He cannot have baked eggs or milk. Yet. Dr is confident that he will be able to some time. I never thought about amazon. Great idea! I'm going on there right now. Thanks.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 06:30:48 PM »

One step a head of you..He cannot have baked eggs or milk. Yet. Dr is confident that he will be able to some time. I never thought about amazon. Great idea! I'm going on there right now. Thanks.

Well bummer to hear about the baked eggs or milk. All in time I believe.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal