Hello Guest

Author Topic: First ever female to command a CVN!!!  (Read 459 times)

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
First ever female to command a CVN!!!
« on: October 05, 2021, 01:58:23 PM »
First Female Nuclear Carrier CO Will Command USS Abraham Lincoln - USNI News

As a rotorhead, I knew I'd never command a CVN.  Period. Those slots are only given to fixed wing fast mover drivers, sometimes heavy drivers (although with only FA-18’s now, "heavies" like the Whale and A-6 are gone), and occasionally a NFO, but not often.  I think the current CO of the Truman is an NFO, E-2 community. But, he has had Cat's and traps.  As a rotorhead, I was eligible to command an LHD or other ship loaded with Jarheads, helos, jump jets and such. I was XO and CO of NAS Sigonella prior to retirement, as rotorheads can command a land facility.  But NEVER a CVN.  Those slots are for the best of the best, and I can guaran-damn-tee that the prior XO and CO had at least three combat tours, CO'd a squadron - IN COMBAT at least once, and if in peace time, probably two squadron commands.   

Four years she was J6, "which represents the Joint Warfighter in support of the command, control, communications, and computers/cyber (C4) requirements validation and capability development processes while ensuring joint interoperability."  She was a computer person, who did no flying or command duties. What did that do to give her an edge up on commanding a CVN?  Nothing.

And this from her US Navy BIO:  "In 2013, she served with the U.S. State Department as the Senior Military Advisor to the Secretary’s Office of Global Women’s Issues, enhancing women’s peace and security through worldwide initiatives. She was then selected for Aviation Nuclear Officer program and upon completion, reported to the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) in September 2016 as the ship’s executive officer." 

Any warning bells going off yet, Roy?  I hear the gongs loud and clear, my friend.

What the hell did she do that gave her the right to go to Nuke School?  And, off the bat an XO?  Hell, she never XO’d or CO’d a ship of ANY kind prior to reporting aboard the Lincoln.  EVERY CVN XO does one tour of being CO of a tug boat, Tin Can or or something to get sea command.  Then, they are rated as to qualifications to go to Nuke Boat school. With only 11 slots, the pickings are tough to get into the limelight.  Like asking the little ghetto boy what he thinks his chances are of being an NBA star, with 30 teams, 300 players, and thousands of colleges full of little colored boys wanting to take a knee on the court and make millions.  Slim and nil.   

I told my wife this promotion was BS.  Unmarried, likely lesbian (per my wife, who seems to know these things), she said this is total political crap.  Also, this woman was an XO forever - over 3 years.  Why?  Normally, 2 years and then CO.  Something fishy.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: First ever female to command a CVN!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 04:22:42 PM »
So, after reading a few articles, it appears she's had a few helo squadron commands, and a couple vessel commands. It is strange that a rotor head is going to be commanding a CVN. I could see her commanding an amphib assault carrier, due to their primarily rotor wing complement. I think this goes back to her being an academy grad from '94. That was the first class graduating to allow women in "combat / aviation" roles. She may be squared away in her career, but I tend to agree with this being politically motivated. We'll see what happens. I wish her luck.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 05:31:45 PM »
So, after reading a few articles, it appears she's had a few helo squadron commands, and a couple vessel commands. It is strange that a rotor head is going to be commanding a CVN. I could see her commanding an amphib assault carrier, due to their primarily rotor wing complement. I think this goes back to her being an academy grad from '94. That was the first class graduating to allow women in "combat / aviation" roles. She may be squared away in her career, but I tend to agree with this being politically motivated. We'll see what happens. I wish her luck.
I commend you on your attitude
I (having no irons in the fire) think there were probably a bunch of better candidates. When it comes to command of something this big, and often ordered smack into the middle of some pretty touchy situations (Isn't a carrier battle group hovering near Taiwan at the moment??)I'd want as seasoned a commander as we can produce whether it be man or woman, black white or blue, old or young, tall or short, hairy or bald. None of that would matter as long as the selectee had a history of getting things right. No allowance for politics whatsoever.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 10:49:49 AM »
I commend you on your attitude
I (having no irons in the fire) think there were probably a bunch of better candidates. When it comes to command of something this big, and often ordered smack into the middle of some pretty touchy situations (Isn't a carrier battle group hovering near Taiwan at the moment??)I'd want as seasoned a commander as we can produce whether it be man or woman, black white or blue, old or young, tall or short, hairy or bald. None of that would matter as long as the selectee had a history of getting things right. No allowance for politics whatsoever.

Don't forget we had to lower the standards to create this equality. so by definition she must exceed the standards to break even with her male counterparts. There IS a better candidate, probably several. anyone getting the senator from GI Jane vibes here? My AWACS flying buddy that was on the Lincoln for years would be s'ing frisbees right now. I'm sure she's very good, just like the affirmative action hires that took up space in my engineering department when better candidates were available...
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal