Hello Guest

Author Topic: Camera Mast  (Read 6041 times)

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Camera Mast
« on: September 30, 2014, 09:32:38 AM »
Hey JR,

Where can I find an affordable telescoping mast that I could bolt to Square D that would erect say 25 feet to which I could mount a decent camera?

I see some brits making some and an American firm, but no prices...

I wonder how I could make one of me own???
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Camera Mast
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »
Flagpole from Lowes or whatnot, they are generally aluminum, lightweight and in sections. Just need to figure out a small electric motor to extend and lower it with a RAM assist through the middle of the pole sections. That jewel of an idea isn't copyrighted, so feel free to utilize or discard it. I thought of it while drinking water and reading the thread.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »
here yah go don, a double post but since its a seperate thread.

https://www.google.com/#q=qeam+antenna+mast
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »
That's a cool link. I especially like the pneumatic ones!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 05:53:03 PM »
$7,700 new!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 06:36:58 PM »
Pocket change brotha, pocket change. haha

There's got to be a way, a much cheaper way. I have the utmost confidence in big D...I'm sure he'll come up with something cool, as long as he (you) doesn't use wood!!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 07:00:37 PM »
OH Boy, cables and pulleys from the front to the back across the top and all that happens is the front of the truck comes off the ground and the power winch lets the smoke out.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 10:49:44 PM »
Funny you should mention smoke

Didn't mention it till right now, but Square D is going to have a smoke generator!

Ever see how much smoke diesel fuel makes when sprayed into a hot exhaust?? Monstrous smoke.

So I am adding a 100-130 gallon tank to the bed...Finally decided it would be easiest. Mounting an auto fuel pump to the tank wired to a switch in the cockpit labeled smoke

I'll mount a spray nozzle, probably one of those H2O fogger nozzles in the tailpipe or perhaps upstream so I can turn off vision behind me.

Second trick is well, classified at this time... sorry...!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 12:06:41 AM »

Probably something like a way to dump a lot more and light her off, that would slow em down some  :D
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 05:09:26 PM »

Probably something like a way to dump a lot more and light her off, that would slow em down some  :D

Something like that

A trick I learned a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »
So I am adding a 100-130 gallon tank to the bed...

Under the topper? Where the seats are mounted?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 07:58:48 AM »
So I am adding a 100-130 gallon tank to the bed...

Under the topper? Where the seats are mounted?

Roger that bobby! I'm going to reconfig the bed.

I think I'll mount a commercially 100-150 gal tank up forward and put some pad on top of it. Along the forward sides of the cap (Inside) I'm thinking of a series of cargo nets, like shelves to catch and hold stuff...bags, pads, tent, who knows what. Then stretch a plywood folding shelf (Bunk??) down the left side. Electronics station right rear with a short fold down table.

Camera mast on the outside now, tucked in tight.

Thoughts on that:  Have been looking at sections of PVC pipe. GO with a big base piece, say 6" then stuff in a 5", 4", 3", and 2.5" section.
I thought I'd give each a wrap of fiberglass cloth and try to keep the cables on the inside with only one pulley on the outside. Have that connected to a small winch used to erect the thing. Get one of those FLIR turret looking camera with if I can figure it out, a camera with telescopic capability and a FLIR. Screen in the back on the wall next to that desk and remoted to the cab and run a pig-tail that later connects to the trailer/camper system I'm building next

Seat??? Not sure if it can/will be used?? Maybe in Duane's build?? Yours??

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 08:13:55 AM »

Roger that bobby! I'm going to reconfig the bed.

I think I'll mount a commercially 100-150 gal tank up forward and put some pad on top of it. Along the forward sides of the cap (Inside) I'm thinking of a series of cargo nets, like shelves to catch and hold stuff...bags, pads, tent, who knows what. Then stretch a plywood folding shelf (Bunk??) down the left side. Electronics station right rear with a short fold down table.

Camera mast on the outside now, tucked in tight.

Thoughts on that:  Have been looking at sections of PVC pipe. GO with a big base piece, say 6" then stuff in a 5", 4", 3", and 2.5" section.
I thought I'd give each a wrap of fiberglass cloth and try to keep the cables on the inside with only one pulley on the outside. Have that connected to a small winch used to erect the thing. Get one of those FLIR turret looking camera with if I can figure it out, a camera with telescopic capability and a FLIR. Screen in the back on the wall next to that desk and remoted to the cab and run a pig-tail that later connects to the trailer/camper system I'm building next

Seat??? Not sure if it can/will be used?? Maybe in Duane's build?? Yours??

With all the light going to be coming off the screens you going to darken the topper windows? Or just put a sunshade on them to pull down?

The seat would probably be better off with Duane. My XJ doesn't have much room in the back, and what is there, I'm planning on mounting an in-bed truck tool box to hold tools/fluids/and etc so it isn't rolling around in the back. But that's after I fix the rust holes, put new shocks on, put new spring packs on, swap all lights to LEDs and upgrade the headlights, finish a couple other projects.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 09:28:06 PM »
I thought about having shades or curtains of sorts...going to use blue/green lights everywhere so Nods will also still work...but have a blinding option where if I suspect someone is ah sneakin' up on me, well, I'll just hit the "blinder" button

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 10:29:50 PM »
but have a blinding option where if I suspect someone is ah sneakin' up on me, well, I'll just hit the "blinder" button

Down side to that is, that a sudden intense blast of white light will also affect your/other friendlies night vision, be it natural or artificially enhanced via NODs. That's one of the topics, I'm going to cover with the 2 Light topics, I'm planning on posting up soon.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 09:40:13 PM by BobbyB »

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 09:04:23 PM »
but have a blinding option where if I suspect someone is ah sneakin' up on me, well, I'll just hit the "blinder" button

Down side to that is, that a sudden intense blast of white light will also affect you're/other friendlies night vision, be it natural or artificially enhanced via NODs. That's one of the topics, I'm going to cover with the 2 Light topics, I'm planning on posting up soon.

Please do!
Would love to hear the ground perspective
Here's something you haven't heard before
Know how bad desert landings can be...dust?
Well I figured out that when you start to go blind, I could switch on the white light in a non tactical situation like a PZ to get me 5-10 feet farther down in the soup...Then just wings level and waif for the ker thump, then slam on the brakes and hope I picked a good spot!

I have taught meself to use no light all the way to white light with nods

Another thing is in the dust when that mini gun opened up...might as well turn on a floodlight

Of course every watching the thing turns into red mist so it doesn't really matter I guess!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 09:39:43 PM »
Please do!
Would love to hear the ground perspective
Here's something you haven't heard before
Know how bad desert landings can be...dust?
Well I figured out that when you start to go blind, I could switch on the white light in a non tactical situation like a PZ to get me 5-10 feet farther down in the soup...Then just wings level and waif for the ker thump, then slam on the brakes and hope I picked a good spot!

I have taught meself to use no light all the way to white light with nods

Another thing is in the dust when that mini gun opened up...might as well turn on a floodlight

Of course every watching the thing turns into red mist so it doesn't really matter I guess!

Well the camera isn't very good at showing the variances in the splashover from the lights. So I'll have to enlist the help of friend and see what I can do with a test subject in various places and show the light splash.

But anything over 160 lumens in a confined space such as a house, will be WAY to bright. Granted , it WILL blind the person you aim the light at, however the sudden increase in light will also mess with your own vision, especially if the room is a white room, or a similarly light colored paint.

Outside, the high lumens won't affect your own vision too much as there isn't anything to splash of off and temporarily blind you. Once I figure out a good way to show the splashover effect, I'll post some pics.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »
Here you go:

http://wonderpole.com/products/camera-pole/

Google: pilot car mast.  I saw a pilot car on the highway Saturday ahead of an oversize truck and it had its mast up.  Its probably all that you need.  Why re-invent the wheel?

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 01:01:20 PM »
Flimsy

Needs to be put up section at a time...can't just push a button and extend it
Top section only .75" in dia. could hardly stabilize a camera and a FLIR...

Good try though!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »
Flimsy

Needs to be put up section at a time...can't just push a button and extend it
Top section only .75" in dia. could hardly stabilize a camera and a FLIR...

Good try though!

Like you wouldn't "modify" it? If we're being honest that would be a cheap and effective starting point.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 07:23:11 AM »
Exactly what kind of weight are you trying to support?  A multi-layered fiberglass composite pole is probably a lot stronger than you think... even the .75 inch section.  Certainly a lot stronger than PVC.  It can be raised to whatever height you want, its not a full-up or full-down affair...

I would choose a proven, purpose-designed, simple, manual system over a complex, cobbled-together, automated contraption that will likely fail in the field.  But maybe that's just me... ;D

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:24:13 AM by Dustoff35 »

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 10:11:04 PM »
Exactly what kind of weight are you trying to support?  A multi-layered fiberglass composite pole is probably a lot stronger than you think... even the .75 inch section.  Certainly a lot stronger than PVC.  It can be raised to whatever height you want, its not a full-up or full-down affair...

I would choose a proven, purpose-designed, simple, manual system over a complex, cobbled-together, automated contraption that will likely fail in the field.  But maybe that's just me... ;D

Look at it

You have to get out of the vehicle to raise and lower it
I want a powered unit
Pole sections too small a diameter to house an internal pulley cable system
Too small and wouldn't be anywhere near the strength of a 4" section of schedule 40, come on!

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 09:51:17 AM »
Well, you seem pretty determined to use PVC...  so I say,  GO FOR IT !!!

...now where is that popcorn smiley?

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »
You have to get out of the vehicle to raise and lower it
I want a powered unit
Pole sections too small a diameter to house an internal pulley cable system
Too small and wouldn't be anywhere near the strength of a 4" section of schedule 40, come on!

Since you want to mount it to the topper, that setup would work with small mods. An air system with an internal ram would be ideal, plus give a bit more internal support, plus still be light.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 02:30:43 PM »
How about this one D...
http://www.larsonelectronics.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=69965&gclid=CjwKEAjwwdOhBRCG0fPrlfO1gGUSJAC1FmHXzD3QnUwzQsMlzVbr8Kjxpdk4Ny94QukHDNj7k8yOBhoC31nw_wcB

...notice this part:
"Larson Electronics is a manufacturer and as such, can custom tailor these units to the customer’s requirements with longer sections and larger mounting plates." 

Anthonymo

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 09:43:47 AM »

Anthonymo

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 09:44:46 AM »
I thought this would be for the Chevy since you would only be bugging out in sd if the Chevy was knocked out by emp...

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 10:37:16 AM »
I like the idea of aluminum for our purpose plus of just mounting a small camera.

Plus with the clamping used I think they would work better with compressed air.

I sure do like the height though!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 05:01:05 PM »
I picked up a telescopic 20 ft mast from HF for just $40. Looks solid and I am going to try some compressed air on it.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 08:59:33 PM »
I picked up a telescopic 20 ft mast from HF for just $40. Looks solid and I am going to try some compressed air on it.
Harbor freight?? What sort of telescopic pole?????

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal