Hello Guest

Author Topic: Welcome guys  (Read 3149 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Welcome guys
« on: September 18, 2014, 06:55:49 PM »
Well guys, Don pulled me into this too.

Although I am not a nerd with all the techie stuff, I understand it and fly RC aircraft (about 45 years)

The camera systems out there can be simple or whatever your pocket can handle.

You can simply take pictures or video and download or do realtime, but the price goes up.

Plus anyone can fly now with the gyro systems out there. If you have seen the new transformer movie, many shots are from a 6 rotor radio control copter. The heli and the cameras are gyro stabilized.

Here are a few links to wet your interest;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__55141__Quanum_Nova_FPV_GPS_Waypoint_QuadCopter_PNF_.html

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/350-qx2-ap-combo-rtf-with-safe-reg-technology-BLH7900

http://www.draganfly.com/uav-helicopter/draganflyer-x6a/

http://www.skycamusa.com/gallery.shtml

Now if this goes you going just open your wallet. Planes will work too, and some are so small you can just throw and catch (it does take practice) and planes tend to be MUCH quieter and can glide.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome guys
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
Now that JR is on board
And he's a smart guy
and
SquareD has no such thing
I was just thinkin'
How cool would it be to strap a helo onto the roof of that old Dodge, controlled from the cab with a viewing screen cut into the dash
JR, you listenin?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:18:05 PM »
Yep, got my notification thingy a working.

In fact, here is a heli flight I did with an old DVR I did a LONG time ago,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 10:58:09 PM »
That video was on a heli I was flying and you can see the feedback on the old systems.

I think the first one on the list above will do what you want, but you must supply your own camera. The one from Horizon will have the most support for parts and I have watched them in use.

These quads really fly themselves, you just point it or program it. (HLS has some issue with this stuff) The heli I was flying was a basically a miniature collective pitch heli, all it had was a heading hold gyro, I did the rest.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 08:14:23 PM »
Well we could carry on this conversation in private, but I think I'll just make it public

OK conceptually this is what I am thinking

Permanently dock a 4or five electric rotor helicopter to the roof of SquareD

I want the dock to have electric locks to hold or release it with the push of a switch

I want it to be able to depart from and return to that dock autonomously.

I'd like to have a button on the dash which says "Station"

When I push that button, I'd like the machine to come up to operating RPM, then have the docking station release the locks. Next I want the machine to rise to 25 feet and move to a position about 30 feet in front of the truck, and remain there.
From that point I would like to be able to take over and fly it manually, or command it to fly a flight plan.

I'd have a selection of flight plans already programmed that I could drop onto a moving map. Like rise to 300 feet AGL, move 250 meters on a 45 degree angle to the right, then make a 90 degree left turn, move 500 meters, the right 90, 500 meters and so forth to form a search pattern grid for say 1/2 mile.

Meanwhile, I'd like to operate the camera myself to view things

I want the flight to be recorded on the computer, then when the batteries reach 20% life, I want the machine to return to docking and land. shutoff, and begin recharging.

That's the basics I want it to do for now

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 08:19:40 PM »
That video was on a heli I was flying and you can see the feedback on the old systems.

I think the first one on the list above will do what you want, but you must supply your own camera. The one from Horizon will have the most support for parts and I have watched them in use.

These quads really fly themselves, you just point it or program it. (HLS has some issue with this stuff) The heli I was flying was a basically a miniature collective pitch heli, all it had was a heading hold gyro, I did the rest.

We could probably gyro stabilize the feed these days
And multiple rotors will make it a lot more stable...Why you think the Chinook is so good!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 03:24:41 PM »
I think most of what you want could be done. I think the return to station will have to be a little more manual that that though.

I would have it in a small enclosure that would protect it and open for launch. You can get it to land near the truck, but not back into a cradle. You will have to change/charge the batteries after some use so hands on will be needed anyway. Plus since these use lithium batteries you want it where a fire could not affect you. if lithiums get a hole in them, are charged wrong or overcharged they "VENT" like a big match!!! (ask me how I know)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:01:59 PM by Flyin6 »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 07:02:11 PM »
I think most of what you want could be done. I think the return to station will have to be a little more manual that that though.

I would have it in a small enclosure that would protect it and open for launch. You can get it to land near the truck, but not back into a cradle. You will have to change/charge the batteries after some use so hands on will be needed anyway. Plus since these use lithium batteries you want it where a fire could not affect you. if lithiums get a hole in them, are charged wrong or overcharged they "VENT" like a big match!!! (ask me how I know)

Oh how I know...When we used them to power our NVG's I had one go off, and in the battery case on the back of MY HELMET

"You smell something?"

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 07:34:30 PM »
The sealed lithiums which we use for many things like lap tops and flashlights are in a steel casing. Very safe and durable. They tend to be lower output though but nominal voltage per cell is the same.

Lipos (lithium polymer) or in a metalic aluminum case, normally flat and put out great power to weight.

Both of the above cells will see a charged voltage of 4.2v, 3.7 under load and normally will have a shutoff voltage of around 3.2v. Normal charge was 1c. They don't like to be left fully charged or discharged to get better life from them, say 500 cycles.

This is what can happen when they "vent"; http://liposack.com/video.htm

Now the funny thing is my friend owns this company,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 11:14:42 PM »
Here is something else I found today. A 15 gram camera that fits on anything for $40. It can take stills or video and records to a Micro SD.

So you get that cheapo rc plane, boat, car or Quad and strap this puppy and go.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLA800

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 09:29:30 AM »
Amazing

Hey JR, not to junk up your thread, but why not???

Where can I find an affordable telescoping mast that I could bolt to Square D that would erect say 25 feet to which I could mount a decent camera?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 01:59:05 PM »
to be honest don, you may be able to find a qeam antenna mast from a liquidation auction or from one of these sites and use that.

https://www.google.com/#q=qeam+antenna+mast
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 01:50:43 AM »
Good idea, real time, easy setup.

We have those on our OES truck and are powered. Those little pan tilts would work great!

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal