Hello Guest

Author Topic: Snowshoes  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Snowshoes
« on: February 12, 2017, 05:30:20 PM »
Okay so I will give you my review of my short (1 time) experience with my new snowshoes. I have wanted a pair for a long time as I love the winter and being out in the snow, but once the heavy stuff hits it keeps me from getting out there as much as I would like. So I’ve been reviewing my options for quite some time- looking at options from Cabelas, Amazon etc. As a novice I didn’t want to pay too much for something I might ultimately hate doing so I tried to find something when it was on sale. But I also recognized that I needed a decent sized pair….I’m 6’1” but weight about 230 so add a pack to that and I needed a longer shoe.

At the same time, I am not looking to climb Everest in these things, nor do I live out in powder country so I figured I could “get by” with some of the more basic versions. I also am viewing this as purely a recreational thing, not something that is a life or death situation where I would need to get the best ones I could. 

So I had gotten a LLBean gift card for Christmas (Both my Mom and my Dad are/were from Maine so LLBean is a “go too” for holidays and birthdays). I know I’ve mentioned their lifetime guarantee before in regards to hiking boots but I also felt that might come in handy with these as well should something happen to them). Anyway after Christmas their “Winter Walker” line of shoes was on sale. I think I paid $100 for them. I also got a pair of extendable poles and a bag for them.

Based on my reading (and my size) I knew I needed the 36” version. So they came and seemed pretty good but what the heck do I know?! But yesterday I got a chance to try them out. It’s been a pretty mild winter so far but we’re getting snow now so it was perfect. I went to a local state forest and went on a 3-1/2 mile “hike” with them. The trail is a road that was snowed over. No vehicle traffic had been on it but there was plenty of cross country skiers, other snowshoers, and regular hikers. So the trail was about “half” broken- meaning half of it was somewhat packed down but the other half (on either side) was about a foot of fresh snow without any tracks.

I had adjusted the bindings at home- you can see from the pics there is a toe strap that criss-crosses your toe and holds it in place. There is a heel strap that wraps around your heel and is held in place with a quick release clamp against the teeth on the strap. Then there is a strap that crosses over your instep that also has a standard double blade release clip. The toe and instep strap adjust by pulling the fabric strap, while the heel strap is molded plastic with the “teeth”.

One of the things I learned from my reading is that how the binding “rotates” in the shoe varies by make, expense, etc. The “best” ones seem have pins from the binding to each side of the snowshoe that the binding rotates around. Some cheaper versions have a fabric strap that twists as your foot moves up/down. The version I got has a pin system but it almost like an eye bolt. The “eye” is then attached to the frame via a small strap.

In addition there is a crampon under the ball of your foot with teeth front and back for traction, and there is a fixed/stationary smaller crampon on the back half of the shoe. This helps with footing if the trail is icy which there is a lot of here in the east. So my walk varied from flat level ground to reasonably steep up and down grades but nothing too dramatic. I had absolutely no problem navigating any of it. It was surprisingly easy. I did have to watch my step somewhat to make sure the inner sides of the frames didn’t hit. I never fell or was in danger of that but I also didn’t have a pack on so that might change my geometry and become more of an issue. I know some of the expensive versions have adjustments to move the bindings in or out perpendicular to the shoe which would lessen the time the shoe frames hit depending on your size, gait etc.

I had plenty of flotation but again keep in mind that most of my walking was on a dirt road with a foot or so of snow. I also had no problem on a field and a small frozen pond. The few times I came to small rocky crossings etc. they were gradual enough where I never had the frames supporting me on the ends or anything. I assume they could, but honestly don’t know. I should try that to see just so I know what to expect.

I did the 3-1/2 miles in about an hour and a half and that included some stops for pictures, a couple of times to check my GPS just to make sure I was on the correct branch of the trail, or just to enjoy the quiet. I love how snow mutes all sounds and it really makes you appreciate this other season of weather so it was nice to stop and enjoy it (okay okay….or catch my breath after a couple of the steeper parts!). Anyway…I think they are a good initial step into snowshoeing. I might never go beyond a pair like these given what I need.  LLBean recommends them for trails and relatively moderate terrain, so as I said before- these are not true wilderness or back country versions.

Here’s a few pics of them I stole from the web, mine are still in the car and it’s snowing again pretty hard and I’m too lazy to go out and get them to take pics. But if anyone wants a close-up of any parts just let me know and I will get them and post ‘em.

Shorter version

longer version:

full kit- snowshoes, poles (I got different ones), bag

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Snowshoes
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 05:40:26 PM »
Nice write up, I now know more than I did a few minutes ago. Thank you!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Snowshoes
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »
Thanks st....I do not claim to know very much but I can definitely say I'm glad I have them. I will be using them more and look forward to seeing how they do in some deeper stuff.

I have seen in some reviews of snowshoes (not these ones specifically) some people complain about snow being kicked up onto the back of people's legs....I wear gaiters any time I'm in the woods so it would not have been an issue but from what I've read this also seems to be a problem if the binding doesn't allow the shoe to pivot/free float as well. So that pivot point is more than just helping you get traction. I don't know if the pure strap types freeze up some so the shoe doesn't pivot as well when you are out in the woods but I was wondering that. As I say I didn't have an issue but depending on what you may be looking at it might be good to look for that specifically in reviews. Just a thought.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal