TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Shops Garages and Barns

New Shed

(1/7) > >>

Wilbur:
Okay so nothing as fancy as some of the stuff you guys have but I still want it to do double duty as a shed and also a place I can get some work done. It will help clearing out some stuff from the basement that is looking like an episode of hoarders.  ::)

So I had designed a bunch of sheds on paper and priced them out as that way I could get exactly what I wanted. Then I priced some sheds at a local place. Sheesh I was only saving about $800 for what I could get from them. And I could have it in a couple of days as opposed to who knows how long if I had to build it. Not to mention if I screwed something up then that price difference could shrink. So I pulled the trigger.

The one I got is 12x16. They delivered it on a flatbed trailer and that was pretty cool....I knew the trailer was a tilting version but I didn't realize the tongue was also on a hydraulic ram. I wanted it in the back yard (I have a walk-out basement). He backed down in and got it angled pretty close (but in my mind still quite a bit away from where I wanted it). He gets out, starts the tilt and then hits another button and the whole carriage of the trailer (wheels too) starts moving backwards. Pretty slick. He was able to get it basically on the spot I wanted albeit at an angle from what I wanted the final resting place.

So yesterday a buddy came over and helped me move it. We basically had to turn it about 35 degrees in a clockwise manner from where it was dropped. We were going to go further but as I looked at it I realized it was aligned well with the house and also looked better from the street. So I stopped at that point. In my mind when planning it I had planned on pulling the front left corner (as you face it) back toward the trees and also pulling the right rear corner out toward the yard. But ultimately all I needed to do (once I decided that the angle looked good when we were about half way through the turn) was pull the left corner back. The pivot did bring the right rear a little bit forward and it ended up being fine.

Here's how it looks right now from the deck of my house.

In order to turn it I simply drilled some holes in the 4x4's that run under the shed and used the impact to drive some lag bolts in. These provided enough to get a logging chain on it and then run a come-along to a tree to pull it.

Once I had it turned where I wanted it the first step was to put up some shelves.

I am going to add a small 2' "loft" on either side....simply put a 2' 2x4 along the front and back, run a 12' 2x4 from front to back (I will include two more 2x4's out from the side wall to the 12', put some angle braces uner the two "free hanging" 2x4's, then put some plywood on top. It will make a good "storage shelf" for camping totes, beach chairs etc. that we use during the year but I want out of the way when not being used. 

I have a temp home for the generator and fuel until I get the old doghouse re-purposed.

The left hand side will have a 2' bench from front to back. This will be the "work" area. I will have space for tools underneath, my grinder, drill press, etc.

I'm going to run "temporary" power on a plug to the shed. In the shed I will put several outlets as well as lights (looking at LED shop lights). Outlets will run the tools, I figure I can get a small ceramic heater in there as well. (all this will only be after the gas is "relocated" out of the shed. :o).

Anyhoo....this is the plan and here's where it is right now.     

Sammconn:
That's a nice looking shed.
That size is pretty nice too, same as I have and it's good.
Some days I wish I'd've gone bigger, but then the junk would add up.

stlaser:
Hold up, did Norm officially rule this is in fact a "shed"? ;D

Regardless, nice building.......

Dawg25385:
Nice lookin shed!

Led shop lights from Costco would work nice in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KensAuto:
Nice shed Wilbur!

...almost as nice as the woods in your backyard!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version