Hello Guest

Author Topic: The Bus  (Read 109977 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: The Bus
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2015, 05:04:26 PM »
Let me know when I can get you a mailing address for those wheels

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2015, 08:22:27 PM »
Roger.

In the mean time.

So I started with the rear to get a better angle on the front as it comes down.  Someone at GM should be shot.  The receiver hitch has to be undone to get the shackle bolts out.....

Note the Snap On jack stand platforms that allow my huge 6 ton stands to actually get high enough to contact the frame.  After pulling the wheels, I lowered it down so that when installing the smaller springs and blocks it would be easier to get it back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 03:16:14 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Bus
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2015, 09:43:49 PM »
So noticed the 3 inch block on the 9 inch Deaver spring was broken.  :-0

Sorings I bought only had 68000 on them. Got the new springs , shocks , blocks and u bolts put on. Took it for a short drive up and down the driveway to settle the springs and blocks and then torqued the UBolts.

And a little Cali lean

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:01:52 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2015, 09:46:52 PM »
That's a 5 inch block.

Here are some measurements before I started.

Tailgate
Front and rear wheel well from center of hub

To door for ground

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Bus
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2015, 12:00:45 PM »
End build day 1 and 1/2. Had to knock off early for the daughters bday party.

Everything is off but the cage and front diff

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:04:03 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2015, 12:58:48 PM »
I recall a conversation on the forum about who makes the best wheel bearings for these trucks. Anyone recall? And a source would be nice

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2015, 01:19:12 PM »
Timken bearing have life time on them.  Other then that I don't recall a post

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2015, 02:50:57 PM »
All I'm seeing online with Timken is a 1 year warranty.  Is there a vendor that extends that?   I'm going to replace both of them while I have it torn down.

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2015, 03:26:39 PM »
I have read good things about wheel bearing inc. no personal experience, but worth looking into.

http://wheelbearingsinc.com

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2015, 04:38:04 PM »

All I'm seeing online with Timken is a 1 year warranty.  Is there a vendor that extends that?   I'm going to replace both of them while I have it torn down.

I ordered mine from the dmax store I want to say they told me it was a lifetime.  I might be wrong

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2015, 05:47:52 PM »
Timken's will go way past a year Charles. Even if you find a place that will warranty for 2 or 3, it's a waste unless it's the same price.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2015, 05:48:26 PM »
Thanks Dave.  I found them there.  DMax Store warranties them, but the Mfg is 1 year.

I bought them from a seller that was on Ebay for $137 (timken) as opposed to the Dmax Store at $199.  I'll take the chance for the $124 difference for 2.

Now I'm trying to research torsion bars.  Decided that I would do the "Anti-Norm" ....gonna replace everything, bushings, bearings, torsion bars, sway bar, brakes, etc..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2015, 05:58:29 PM »
Torsion bars? Why would I think those need replaced?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2015, 05:58:54 PM »
So here's a moment for you Ken,

I'm breaking the ubolts loose on the rear and I have the axle lowered down.  As I hit the trigger with the gun in the vertical position, my left hand is supporting the gun with my little finger under the rear.  It breaks loose....and then threads down....and then pins the gun to the shop floor...with my little finger underneath.  And the reverse switch is ...you guessed it...on the back of the gun.

So my finger is pinned to the floor and I can't reverse the gun....and no one is around to help...

Fortunately after a moment I realized I could roll over a bit and use the floor jack to raise the axle......

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2015, 06:05:20 PM »
Torsion bars? Why would I think those need replaced?

After 14 years and heavy wheels and tires, I think they are probably worn out.  one had a lot more preload on it than the other

There are about 50 different spring rate bars listed.  I know I can read off the ends of mine, but anyone have OEM application information that might help me make a decision?  I may want stiffer or softer depending.

The lift kit will add a hundred pounds or so to the front and if I go with an aftermarket bumper at some point I may need to consider a slightly higher rate.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:48:43 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2015, 10:06:59 PM »
So since I've decided to do all new, I'm going to need a press.  Tired of fighting with those little C-clamp ball joint presses and also want to do the a-arms.

Would a little 12 ton press be enough for most minor things?  The bills are about to rack up fast and wanted to cut costs where I can.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2015, 10:14:23 PM »
I have never thought or heard of anyone doing it is all.  But it makes sense. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2015, 10:22:43 PM »
No worries, BD, I plan on keeping this one for quite some time so doing it right this time, with only 137k on the clock, I should be GTG for another 10-15 years.

Anyone have recommendation on brake pads?  My first 2001 had 125k on the clock on the original pads and there were a lot left.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2015, 11:11:13 PM »
So since I've decided to do all new, I'm going to need a press.  Tired of fighting with those little C-clamp ball joint presses and also want to do the a-arms.

Would a little 12 ton press be enough for most minor things?  The bills are about to rack up fast and wanted to cut costs where I can.

It should, I would probably opt for the 20 ton unit as bigger is better imo.

Edit: plus with the larger unit you can get a press brake add on etc & bend steel with it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:12:07 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

OldKooT

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2015, 07:55:42 AM »
I can't add much here.....Other than my 80 ton press at the shop can shatter a Ford 9" axle shaft and the bearing never did move. I have a 20ton HF model at home here, it's handy at times, and was like $140 with coupons and sales and such.

The 20 ton HF is also well supported by the aftermarket. You can add a HF air/hyd jack and buy plates to turn it into a brake and all sorts of things.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2015, 08:12:20 AM »
Funny you should mention that.  There is  a printable coupon on line for 20% off a single item December 14-16.  That'll make it $160 for the 20 ton.  Looks like I'm headed to HF.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2015, 09:23:45 AM »

I'd say one thing if you are planning to purchase a harbor freight press. I would not use their press plates, then are cast and will fail violently. Get a set of good press plates like the ones I showed and use from Swag Off Road.
I wouldn't want you to get injured and those HF plates will fail on you some day
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2015, 09:26:36 AM »
Lol on the impact....glad I've never done anything like that! ...hard not to panic when it happens.

Used the HF 20 ton for 7 years. Took everything I threw at it until the last job...ironically a Ford bearing....twisted the main upper beam really bad . Yeah, could've stopped to prevent it, but gave an excuse for a new 50ton.

The benifit to a ball joint kit is getting the adapters. Even with a press, you need adapters (hope you have multiple sizes up pipe around)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

OldKooT

« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2015, 10:51:01 AM »
FWIW my HF press I got last year had steel plates not cast...not sure what they presently are being sold with. I use some 1" steel plates personally because they have handles I welded on them to move the SOB's.

And Dons right, Swag has some cool stuff. I might someday buy their kits to modify the press. But...I am considering widening it LoL

If I ever actually build a real shop building here, I will drag my 80 Ton up here to wreck stuff properly.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2015, 11:36:01 AM »
Caught my finger or such a few times and who brought up Hamms?? Dang Norm hadn't heard of them them in years, loved the bear commercials.

HF ha a 25% off sale up until sunday night, I scored a few items.

Nice arch in those old springs, but 5 inch blocks? Shackle flip!

I got the timkens from the same guy on Ebay for my max and my brake pads are fine after 110k like yours.

OK, got to post pics of my S10 on the other thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2015, 11:42:54 AM »
I have a HF 30 ton press which is going strong

I use the 1.5" thick arbor plates from Swag Off road

Check out their site...Look at the pic of the face injury from failure of the cheapo plates.

Caveat: If the HF press now uses steel plates in lieu of the cast ones they might be OK

http://www.swagoffroad.com/Arbor-Press-Plates_p_7.html
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2015, 02:52:39 PM »
Ha. That dude probably took the last piece a chicken at the family dinner.  Or insulted Nate's lineage.....

Good advice and thanks. Will inspect and proceed accordingly. 

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2015, 06:54:57 PM »
no hitting from big nate, i am a scorpio and i do like to get revenge in more creative ways............;D
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2015, 08:28:27 PM »
You saying "no hitting" is like Ted Nugent saying he never did drugs.....

Reminds me of a Robert DeNiro line from Ronin when the guys were all trying to prove what bad dudes they were.  When asked "have you ever killed anyone"  DeNiro says "I hurt somebody's feelings once"

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2015, 09:03:13 PM »
I love that movie Ronin. Thats when he put Sean Bean in his place,,,,,,,,,,,

Seen Killing Season yet??
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 09:05:42 PM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2015, 09:45:14 PM »
Nope, but I will look and see if its on netflix.  Need something other than angry white guy TV to watch while waiting on Walking Dead to crank back up...

Oh wait, I did see that one.  Great movie.  Most people don't remember that conflict.  I have Croatian and Serb friends here in the states.  Still totally different perspectives on what happened

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2015, 03:54:40 PM »
20 percent off coupon at HF today. 20 ton press for the shop!

No more paying to have stuff pressed or dealing with that Mickey Mouse c clamp press

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2015, 05:22:26 PM »
That will never run out of uses. If you aint tearing a truck apart you can use it to form supressor baffles.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2015, 05:36:36 PM »
Or for my AK flat bending!  That's a project I need to get on. Lord knows I have enough 7.62 ammo and parts

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2015, 11:08:38 PM »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2015, 12:04:25 AM »
Oh no I want your big 24 s

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2015, 12:08:16 AM »
That will never run out of uses. If you aint tearing a truck apart you can use it to form supressor baffles.

Brass freeze plugs work nice.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2015, 12:25:35 AM »

Sorry to disappoint, but mine are only 20x10

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2015, 01:00:13 AM »
Tate around?  Need a source for ujoints for the front drive shaft. 

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2015, 09:39:09 AM »
Texasredneck how are you liking that drive shaft?.

My LMM vibrates bad with a heavy load around 60-65. I was looking at that shaft but worried it won't hold up.

OldKooT

« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2015, 10:01:10 AM »
My advice...regardless of where you source them...but only Spicer U joints.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2015, 10:52:26 AM »
Tate around?  Need a source for ujoints for the front drive shaft.

5-3147x  for both ends w/ zerk fitting. 5-795x w/o zerk fitting, mechanix 3r series spicer joint. I have a dozen in stock in TN, but you can order from anywhere with that number for Spicer. PM me if you want to get some coming or give me a call.

Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2015, 12:14:52 PM »
Pm incoming.

Sideways. The shaft was the best thing I've done to the truck. It's smooth as glass to 100+

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2015, 02:55:28 PM »

Sorry to disappoint, but mine are only 20x10

24's 20's 18's. All the same right. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2015, 05:50:56 PM »
Yeah. Size doesn't matter. 

Tate thanks for the hookup on the joints.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2015, 06:58:58 PM »
Looking forward to the install; I've got to do my own here pretty soon.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2015, 08:55:37 PM »
Yeah, I only want to have to tear it down once.  I value my time more than parts.  When I'm done I want 100K out of it without having to work on it (at least that part of it).  Given that I drive it about 3,000 miles a year that should last me a while....

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »
With family time taking precedent this weekend I didn't get a lot done. Tore everything else off. From here on in its new stuff going back on.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2015, 04:23:42 PM »
RN, not really sure if you are going to do the output seals on the front diff while you have it out..............?

I would recommend doing them, because our model year trucks are notorious for having the drivers side short shaft not release the "C" clip and allow the shaft to come out of the carrier.  unfortunately, the only way that I have found/heard of fixing this is having to buy a new/or used diff...............?

better to find out now while everything is dis-assembled and easy to get to.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 04:24:50 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2015, 07:04:39 PM »
Thanks Nate. I'll inspect it well. At first glance it appears to be leak free and solid.

So working the shore press and need to know where to get accessories like thin wall steel tube and various diameters of solid round bar without having to buy a 20ft stick?

I have a c clamp ball joint service set that has some but need more sizes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal