Hello Guest

Author Topic: Weapon cleaning day - A Real Man skill  (Read 3209 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Weapon cleaning day - A Real Man skill
« on: October 24, 2015, 07:59:56 AM »
The remnants of hurricane Patricia are expected to come through today.

Makeshift cleaning table, quoffee, supplies, some good music, and weapons.  Gonna sit in the shop with both doors open , watch it rain and clean weapons

Should be a great day. 

Last week went hunting with a friend and dirtied up some weapons so I thought it be a great time to go through several and clean.

We were at the range checking zeros and weapons functions. Should have seen the look on his face when I dialed 1.1mils and hit a small bottle of tannerite at 330 on the first shot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:18:44 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon cleaning day
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 09:41:11 AM »
You're a killer!

Some snappers I know can't do that. They get all their CIB's, combat patches, and awards and decorations caught up in the weapon...

(grunts)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Weapon cleaning day
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 09:45:51 AM »
So. First priority is cleaning the CCW. G23. I found this in my old box of stuff I relocated to the shop. If you ever wanted to know everything about Glocks, this is the book to have.

Empty the weapon. Double check. Really.
Break down to field strip level.

Push the three pins out from left to right. Starting with the top one. Then the rear and then the bottom. You may have to push the slide catch forward just a bit to get it to move since it has a groove in that pin

Disassemble always push pins from left to right.
This glock tool is well worth the price.
Pry out the locking block then lift the trigger assembly

Note the silver trigger release. This is where the Glock magic happens. That is the Ghost Rocket trigger. Once you run a Glock with one of those you'll never go back. It reduces the pull from 5lbs to 2.5lb and eliminates over travel for faster trigger reset. I'll do a write up later on a virgin Glock to show how it's done. Along with my other preferred mods

Use compressed air and blow out all the Cheetoe crumbs if you are the HPD beat cops I've trained with. Be careful. Air will shoot the little parts off the table if you aren't careful.

Disassemble the trigger components. No pics but pull the trigger forward and rotate outward to get the tab to come out of the trigger block. The note the way the spring is oriented and remove. Clean and reassemble. Note here the polishing on the the trigger.  Another free mod that makes it smoother to shoot. Once you polish you lose the Glock finish and will need to keep it lightly treated with lube. I'll never be  worried about it but if you're anal....

Reassemble in the reverse. Remember that the pins go in from right to left and in reverse order. When inserting the locking block pins don t force them. The slide release has to be manipulated to get the lower through and the wire spring needs to de depressed with the tool to get it below the upper pin when installing.

Next up the slide assembly cleaning.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:50:41 AM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 10:02:39 AM »

You're a killer!

Some snappers I know can't do that. They get all their CIB's, combat patches, and awards and decorations caught up in the weapon...

(grunts)

LOL Yeah, right. You know guys that do that in their sleep. . That was an easy shot even with the 10mph wind from 3 o'clock. He declined the bet to do it again at 600.

And Don, you know a stationary target is like taking candy from a baby. When it's moving is where the real fun begins.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 10:22:40 AM »
They get all their CIB's, combat patches, and awards and decorations caught up in the weapon...

(grunts)

8)
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 08:48:59 PM »
OK, Just knocked off for the day. Final total:

3 shotguns, the bolt gun, a glock, one really filthy AR, and a ruger 22/45 that I gave up on and threw all the parts in a box until tomorrow.

I took 3 hours off for lunch and a trip into town for supplies but most of the day was breathing fumes.

I'll get back on the how to on the Glock slide tomorrow as well as a precision rifle cleaning how to.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 10:25:20 PM »
OK, Just knocked off for the day. Final total:

3 shotguns, the bolt gun, a glock, one really filthy AR, and a ruger 22/45 that I gave up on and threw all the parts in a box until tomorrow.

I took 3 hours off for lunch and a trip into town for supplies but most of the day was breathing fumes.

I'll get back on the how to on the Glock slide tomorrow as well as a precision rifle cleaning how to.
It's about time for me to get serious with my Glocks. That trigger sounds good, and for sure an extended slide release. Need to get some sights on them as well and maybe put an optic on the G21
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 10:43:42 PM »
It's about time for me to get serious with my Glocks. That trigger sounds good, and for sure an extended slide release. Need to get some sights on them as well and maybe put an optic on the G21

http://icestore.us/Pistol-Sights/I-C-E-CLAW-EMS-Rear-Sight-with-ProGlo-Tritium-Front-Sight.html

Trijicon RMR and suppressor sights for the 21.

So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Weapon cleaning day
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 12:16:58 AM »
Ok so on to the slide disassembly.

Use a small flat blade screwdriver to slide the back plate off

Slide out the firing pin assembly

Then pull the extractor spring next to it

Then pull the safety( the little mushroom)

Then the extractor.

I've had my G17 so dirty I was picking chunks of carbon out of the extractor area with a screwdriver. Still no malfunction.

Then disassemble the firing pin. Use the slide and set the firing pin sleeve into the firing pin bore then grasp the spring and pull down and remove the spring cups(2 semi circle plastic pieces)

Clean all that stuff.
Here is a look at the factory trigger disconnect and the factory firing pin spring cups next to the modified firing pin spring cups that allow water to drain and not hydraulically lock up the firing pin so that you can fire underwater. Everyone needs that, right? (Well, except for Ken, he only fires in air conditioned dust free spaces)
After you clean all that, assembly is....surprise! The reverse.

Put the extractor in place, then the mushroom ( the top of the safety plunger also gets polished in my typical mods) then the spring loaded plunger which holds it all in place.

Glocks require very, very,very little lube. I use TW25b mil spec grease.

I lube:  the under side of the barrel where it gets rubbed by the slide with just a really thin film. Then the area of the barrel where it pivots on the locking block and a little on the end of the extractor spring plunger where it contacts the extractor. Then the most lubed place is the slide rails

A neat trick if you're like me, lots of Glocks,dark safe, vision getting rough up close.

Take a white crayon and rub the numbers and then wipe the excess

Then reassemble, function test.  I always try to fire a couple of rounds just to make sure it's all GTG, especially on a CCW weapon.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:25:42 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Weapon cleaning day
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 12:29:48 AM »
Next up. : the most critical cleaning- the precision rifle

Is this weapon system ten thousands of an inch makes a difference so every precaution must be taken not to damage any part.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:31:33 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Weapon cleaning day
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 10:40:11 PM »
So again, empty the weapon.  Double check.  Really.  You don't want to be one of those Darwin award winners who shoots themselves while cleaning a weapon.  Some people's lives exist only as a warning to others.  Don't be "that guy"

This is a remy 700 action bolt gun built by Moon at GA Precision with a 20 inch Bartlein barrel. Badger detachable mag system, McMillan A5 Stock and a jewel HVR trigger.  Badger 30 MOA rail on top with a Schmidt and Bender 4-16 PMII
Step 2 (remember step 1 was making sure it was unloaded, right??) Remove the bolt.
Don't skimp on cleaning supplies and tools when you are working on a precision rifle.  Use only coated rods ( I use Dewy) and brass jags.  Have plenty of cotton patches, and cleaning fluids.

The cleaning solvents used in these situations are extremely harsh on paint, hydro dip finishes, and most importantly the epoxy that is used to bed the rifle's action to the stock.  So you don't want any solvent getting on the weapon or into the action area.

Use a bore guide.  It has o-rings to seal and keep all the fluids in the bore and protects the all important throat area of the barrel which is where accuracy lives.  It extends beyond the action and allows the rod to be inserted and aligned properly.  I like the ones with solvent ports on top that allow you to squirt the solvent in the bore guide.

Cover the stock with a zip loc and some shop towels.

FMJ rounds don't leave lead in the bore, they leave copper.  So you need an aggressive ammonia based solvent like Sweets 7.62 or Butche's Bore Shine.

Insert a jag with a cotton patch and liberally soak it with solvent.

THIS IS IMPORTANT: ONLY RUN THE PATCH, BRUSH OR WHAT EVER ELSE IT IS THAT YOU ARE PUTTING IN THE BORE, FROM THE ACTION TO THE MUZZLE, JUST LIKE THE BULLET TRAVELS.  NEVER PULL IT BACK AND FORTH.  ONE DIRECTION ONLY. EACH TIME THE JAG OR BRUSH EXITS THE MUZZLE, REMOVE THE BRUSH OR JAG AND PULL THE ROD BACK THROUGH AND THEN REATTACH THE BRUSH OR JAG.

Run a few soaked patches down and let it sit for a minute or two.  Then get your brass brush and run it down the bore soaked in solvent. Do this 10 times. 

Then start running dry patches down the barrel.  You'll see blue/green on them. 

That's the copper being eaten away. Keep doing that until they come out clean.  You may need to run a solvent soaked patch again and then more dry patches.

Once it comes out clean and without green, then you need to remove all traces of the ammonia based solvent as long term exposure to the stainless in the barrel is corrosive and not good for it.  Rubbing alcohol is perfect for this.

Again, jag, patch,alcohol a couple of times and then patches until dry.  You should have a sparkling clean bore.  Remember to rinse your jags and brushes in alcohol as well.
Now its time to run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel to prevent rust.

Remove the bore guide and then turn your attention to the chamber.  I use a very lightly wet patch with Hoppe's on a large jag to clean the chamber very gently.  Then dry patch it. 

Then turn your attention to the lug mating surface just behind the chamber.  I used a special tool that has a hard felt insert the exact size of the remy700 bolt lugs.  Again very light on Hoppes and then a dry one.

A super light oiled patch to finish.  Remember you don't want a lot of oil in the chamber.  The case swells and creates friction to reduce the pressure on the bolt.  If it is oily, then it won't have friction and the rearward pressure can be enough to create a catastrophic case failure and, well, ruin your day and maybe your sight.

Then turn your attention to the bolt.  In particular the locking lugs.  A precision rifle has the action blueprinted and the lugs lapped.  Note the even wearing of the finish on the surface.  Clean them good and dry them.

Before reinstalling the bolt, put a small amount of the grease on the lug mating surfaces and the areas that rub the action.

Check all the bolts on the scope rings, and the action.

I use seekonk T handled slip torque wrenches.  18 inch pounds on the scope rings, 65 inch pounds on the action screws and the rings where they mount to the base.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:29:33 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon cleaning day - A Real Man skill
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 09:43:14 PM »
Next two weapons cleaned.

Then the dirty AR.  Shooting suppressed will really challenge you at the cleaning bench.  The amount of soot and carbon is 4 times as bad as unsuppressed.  The mags get filthy along with everything else. 

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:47:31 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 10:40:25 PM »
Hate to interrupt, but, did you finally get some rain out of that monster storm?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 10:44:09 PM »
DOT ALERT

We got some steady rain but no real downpours.  Good to rehydrate the soil, but not to fill the pond

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 10:45:10 PM »
Hate to interrupt, but, did you finally get some rain out of that monster storm?
Was wondering the same.
Some rain would do you good. Thinking you don't need the flooding associated with a monsoon though. Looks like some parts got hit pretty hard.

Glad to see you're not washed away.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 10:49:02 PM »
Thanks.  Some parts got something like 18 inches in 30 hours, like 1/2 their annual rainfall.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal