VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

Recondition a duramax engine

(1/6) > >>

Flyin6:
Lets talk about what would be the necessary steps to recondition a duramax engine and build it to reliably hold 600-700 HP in my Suburban application.

Tex has stated often that the recipe consists of using a LB7 short block and turbo, but add LLY heads to it to get the injectors from beneath the valve covers.

And here is what I currently have going.

I have located a complete LB7 engine and trans which is still in the donor truck. It cranks but will not start. It apparently did run when the truck was parked a year to 18 months ago.

If I move on that one, it will include the entire harness(s) the ECM, the FICM, the TCM and maybe some other stuff like the intercooler.

Now this is going to be expensive, so I cannot go too crazy with all sorts of exotic parts. An oil pump is $300. An upgraded turbo is $3000, trans is $5000

I am hoping to tear it down to find a good reciprocating assembly that I would only have to add rods, rings, bearings, and get the block all looker over, maged, line honed and little else.

I will purchase reman LLY heads, then put a few coins into larger injectors.

That's the plan I am looking at right now.

I'd like to draw on everyone's experience here

oklawall:
Boss,

Can't say that I have a bunch of knowledge on this but from personnel experience and before you jump into the deep end make sure you have a machine shop that will work the block over for you. Living in Oklahoma for my son 2005 we couldn't find a machine shop that would run the cylinders, they said that they would try but would take no responsibility if they damaged the block  we had to go to Dallas TX to find someone that would work it over and had experience and would stand behind their work. I would also check the front cover they are made of unattainemum. The boy's truck has had issues with (sorry don't know the official name for them) the little nozzles that spray oil on the bottom side of the pistons, he had to replace 2 when he rebuilt the engine and about a year after found another one that was broken.

stlaser:
6.7L cummins.......

TexasRedNeck:
Wagner street rods.  LB7 pistons and crank.  Keep the rest stock with 30 or 40 overs and a 64mm cheetah stealth.  Should get you where you want to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KensAuto:
Wait, I thought the boss was cutting back on projects?
Might as well sell the burb off in a thousand pieces and scatter it across the country.

Sorry. Can I at least qualify for unemployment this time?
Severance package?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version