Hello Guest

Author Topic: First aid kits  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
First aid kits
« on: March 30, 2020, 07:36:08 AM »
I am wanting to get a couple first aid kits to keep in the tractor and service truck when we are out in the field. I am having trouble finding one with everything in it I want. We have had a couple close called in the past. We need to be ready if something happens.

Along with the typical items found a pre-made first aid kit I want these items.  Eye wash, tourniquet and a splint.

I was thinking a splint like this. https://www.amazon.com/Ever-Ready-First-Aid-Universal/dp/B07N7R11SR/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=splint&qid=1585567889&sr=8-2

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: First aid kits
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 08:02:56 AM »
https://www.liveactionsafety.com/military-m17-medical-bag-full-kit/

Here’s a pretty good place to go for kits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 08:20:18 AM »
I purchased the trauma and boo boo kits from these guys. And also the appropriate pouch. I like that they are sealed up and compact and have most of what you might need. Currently under my back seat in my truck.

https://store.itstactical.com/products/eta-trauma-kit

I also got a ratchet style tourniquet from these guys but it took quite a while to ship. 

https://aerohealthcare.us.com/haemostatic/

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 11:24:36 AM »
I am wanting to get a couple first aid kits to keep in the tractor and service truck when we are out in the field. I am having trouble finding one with everything in it I want. We have had a couple close called in the past. We need to be ready if something happens.

Along with the typical items found a pre-made first aid kit I want these items.  Eye wash, tourniquet and a splint.

I was thinking a splint like this. https://www.amazon.com/Ever-Ready-First-Aid-Universal/dp/B07N7R11SR/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=splint&qid=1585567889&sr=8-2

SAM splints (like those pictured in the link above) are really useful, and compact. A good thing to have in any aid kit. Those are what army medics have in their kit.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 05:58:00 PM »
And something to clot a bleed. Many products out there. THinking of a guy my pastor knows who got his arm caught in a branch shredder. It pulled his arm off. Was a darned mess to get to stop bleeding, but someone did and the man lives today. That old quick clot was a God send to the military. Spread the wound, pour the stuff in of shove it in if a pressure bleed and the injured person is likely going to live

Additionally, having the supplies readily available is great, but learn/practice some basic lifesaving steps. Clear the airway, stop the bleeding, treat for shock. Also practice with whatever tourniquet you choose. I have those black velcro things with a plastic rod that you twist to apply pressure, then tie off the end, then WRITE DOWN the time you stopped the bleeding and write a big "T" on the person's forehead.

You real warriors out there have anything to add??
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 10:08:17 PM »
Why write a T?

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 10:46:21 PM »
It’s to let first responders and other medical personnel know there is a tourniquet places on that individual in case they are not able to communicate and you are not available to relay the information.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 11:04:11 PM »
Why write a T?

It tells first responders the patient has a tourniquet on somewhere
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 07:02:27 AM »
It’s to let first responders and other medical personnel know there is a tourniquet places on that individual in case they are not able to communicate and you are not available to relay the information.

Write a T and the time you put in on is what I was always told.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 12:50:17 PM »
So, it's a good idea to have a big permanent sharpie in your kit. If you use a tourniquet, write both the big T and the time/date applied on the victim's forehead. This lets the trauma doc know how long a tourniquet has been on so they can make a determination on whether the limb is going to be savable. This isn't as big a deal with newer type tourniquets, but is a definite factor for improvised ones.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 08:49:34 PM »
If you are going to buy and potentially USE a tourniquet I'd recommend you get some training from professionals, not youtube, not someone who knew someone who knew a guy who used one back in the day. The TQs you can buy that aren't cheap have a decent sized tag on them by the windlass that has TIME on it for the purpose of writing the time applied, makes it easy to see when there's blood everywhere. Remember you can write a T on someones head, but if they are at the point where a TQ is needed there's going to be blood, and dirt, grass and basically everything sticks to that so you writing T on their forehead might not cut it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:33:38 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 11:00:47 AM »
Good point, Bobby!
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 07:23:26 AM »
I bought 2 of the big kits that Tex recommend to keep in the service truck and combine. Then 5 boo boo kits to keep in various trucks and the planter tractors. My brother and I both have some first responder training. It's been a long time for me. Back when u was on the volunteer fire Dept. Little Brother has had more. He actually drove the rescue squad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal