Hello Guest

Author Topic: Vehicle Mounted Cellphone Booster  (Read 6139 times)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Vehicle Mounted Cellphone Booster
« on: February 12, 2019, 10:33:06 PM »
I'm going to install this in my truck, mainly for my upcoming Idaho trip. The property we purchased doesn't seem to have service, and I need to see if a booster will work there. My wife needs internet for work, so if this works, I can plan on installing something similar in the future cabin. Also purchased the optional trucker antenna.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicle Mounted Cellphone Booster
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 10:51:58 PM »
Ken, when I used to wheel SE KY deep in Appalachia all the guys who had money and lived there ran boosters in their trucks. Worked much better than just a standard cell phone antenna.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 10:55:35 PM »
So the tricky thing with signal boosters is......cell companies actually get REALLY PISSY when you get use them, and can actually track where they are by the signal that whatever tower recieves from them and then come and make you turn it off.

But as far as im concerned, i say screw it and get the signal wherever and however you can.....lol

Wendys dad litterally lives in the middle of nowhere and his shop basically acts like a faraday cage.  She got him one of these, and he put it up on the top of his shop amd now has 4g inside with absolutley no issues.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=iZJjXNG-N8KUtQXC-r5w&q=zboost+zb575-v&oq=zboost&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.1.2.0l5.8050.9352..12325...0.0..0.114.523.5j1......0....1.......5..41j46i131j46j0i10.QLhiriuARPk

my retarded statement has been retracted....I spoke with unconfirmed information.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:39:00 AM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 11:12:57 PM »
So the tricky thing with signal boosters is......cell companies actually get REALLY PISSY when you get use them, and can actually track where they are by the signal that whatever tower recieves from them and then come and make you turn it off.

But as far as im concerned, i say screw it and get the signal wherever and however you can.....lol

Wendys dad litterally lives in the middle of nowhere and his shop basically acts like a faraday cage.  She got him one of these, and he put it up on the top of his shop amd now has 4g inside with absolutley no issues.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=iZJjXNG-N8KUtQXC-r5w&q=zboost+zb575-v&oq=zboost&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.1.2.0l5.8050.9352..12325...0.0..0.114.523.5j1......0....1.......5..41j46i131j46j0i10.QLhiriuARPk

What is there reasoning for turning them off?  They want you to buy and use theirs?  I've looked into these before briefly.  We live in a not so great area of reception.  The house has 2 ft stone walls all the way up to the peak and reception goes from not good to flat out horrible when you step through the door.  Been through 3 providers in the last few years trying to find one that works well.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:37:22 AM by Nate »

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 12:00:23 AM »
Give me 9 months and I promise I will fix everyone cell problems, no matter where you live.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 06:30:39 AM »

We have the same problem and that looks exactly like what we have in our shop. Got it through the Verizon dealer they installed it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:37:02 AM by Nate »
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 07:19:50 AM »
https://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com/?msclkid=6cb4a894faf81ffaf94ef4f0f0bfef0d&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=WSB%20-%20Wilson%20Brand%20Terms&utm_term=wilson%20cell%20phone%20booster&utm_content=Wilson%20Cell%20Phone%20Booster

This is where I got mine for my "hide".  Be aware that there has to be a minimum signal level for the booster to work.

enter *3001#12345#* and hit call on your cell phone will get you signal information in field test mode

and Phil, you can't just drop that and not elaborate...what gives?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:20:36 AM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 07:30:34 AM »
Give me 9 months and I promise I will fix everyone cell problems, no matter where you live.

what kind of cool stuff do you guys have going up into orbit?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 08:47:01 AM »

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »

Phil, Are you cranking up a version of Teledesic? I have been waiting for this since the 1990's.  :popcorn:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teledesic
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 10:46:28 AM »

I feel like your working in retiring, how did you get wrangled into this project too....

Although I look forward to this system being operational!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:50:36 AM by wyorunner »

Online EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 02:05:18 PM »

all kinds of stoked on this one Phil!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 04:04:39 PM »
Im trying really hard to retire, I keep getting sucked into projects but unless something unforeseen happens this should be my last year.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 08:24:31 PM »
Interesting Phil.

Made a mount for the truck antenna and installed the booster.
This is the antenna. It comes with a couple extensions, a spring mount, and a side exit cable section which I used, that way if I want to add a section I don't have to pull the cable back out of the cab. The little one to the right is what came with the booster.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 08:28:16 PM »
I welded a piece of u-bolt to some angle, to give the mirror clamp something to cling on to. This will allow me to lower the antenna when not in use... and allow me to park in the garage. I then proceeded to park in the garage, without lowering said antenna. Good thing it had that spring.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 08:45:05 PM »
I forgot to mention that the antenna was pretty high quality. A bit surprised actually.

So, I checked some numbers. At the shop, I got around -95 dbms without the booster. Makes sense, because I never have an issue there. The booster's inside antenna is stuck to the center of the dash mat. Sitting in the driver's seat, it will boost it to -85, 2 feet away from the antenna on the dash. If I put the phone on the small antenna, it will hit -56 before bouncing back to -70ish. That's a gain of almost 40 dbms!
After reading some of the negative reviews on these things, I never expected to see numbers like that.

Then I drove home (and almost ripped the new antenna off). Sitting in the driveway I had -115 to -120. Yeah I have sucky service at the house. Flipped on the booster, put the phone next to the inside antenna, and it dropped to -60, then stabilized around -80.
I can live with that.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 09:00:10 PM »
Hey Ken, It appears someone mounted a pecker to your truck.....  :evil:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 09:05:02 PM »
:facepalm

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 09:48:18 PM »
It looks more like a WW2 potato smasher grenade 

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 11:07:04 PM »
Ken, does that thing use basic coax cable for the wire?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 11:17:12 PM »
They are smaller, with sma connections, and they're made to the antennas....can't unhook them, which sucks.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 06:21:05 AM »
That cable has a lot of loss because it’s small diameter. If you have a lot left over and it’s just coiled up you can cut it to length and re terminate and improve your signal a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 10:37:08 AM »
Yea that does suck. Changing cables could be helpful in lots of situations. Not that you’d probably want to but they make SMA to regular sized coax adapters.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 12:01:18 AM »
So, I'd be requesting a bit more technical type information about this whole concept/technology

So, obviously, I plan to go mobile for a month or so in the Burb. I'd like to stay up on the website and post up our progress as we push downrange. Would the addition of this device and an unlimited service get me to a point where I could have the use of the computer on most stops? Or phone for calls/data along the way?

Especially considering I may be using the phone as the GPS source. Would be handy to have it connected to the interweb.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 08:39:03 AM »
I don't know if it would be necessary in your case. I'll let someone that travels often, answer that question. There's so many cell towers out there now.... except near my property of course. Lol
What kind of technical info you need? They are limited in the amount of boosting power to 50dbs, from what I've read. They have to have some signal to work with. If you're in a place with zero signal, the booster would have nothing to boost, in theory, that's why I'm counting on the truck style antenna to hopefully gather up some signal.
The interior antenna has to be weak to keep interference down, from the exterior antenna.
It's a simple plug and play set up. (2 antennas and a cigarette plug)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 10:10:54 AM »
don, how much true "off road/far away from civilization" travel are you planning on doing?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 10:24:24 AM »
don, how much true "off road/far away from civilization" travel are you planning on doing?
In reality, probably not that much. We are going way off track in Wyoming, in Moab, perhaps at some parks along the way. Then there's the "Never thought we'd go there" situations that are bound to pop up. Almost cant predict them. And my schedule and maybe even route will remain somewhat dynamic...Just never know what adventure lies over the next ridge...

What I was thinking was from a power perspective. Could I still load pics while the boyz are playin' world at war on their own phones.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 10:50:35 AM »
In reality, probably not that much. We are going way off track in Wyoming, in Moab, perhaps at some parks along the way. Then there's the "Never thought we'd go there" situations that are bound to pop up. Almost cant predict them. And my schedule and maybe even route will remain somewhat dynamic...Just never know what adventure lies over the next ridge...

What I was thinking was from a power perspective. Could I still load pics while the boyz are playin' world at war on their own phones.

Wyoming will probably be the only place where you go a while without signal. It will also be the time where it is most frequently dropped. You will loose it on major highways here.

I know there are parts around Moab that have none as well but much of that is because how the roads are, bottom of canyons and such.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 11:18:42 AM »
Well, what I am hearing is I really don't need the booster device.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 12:55:41 PM »
Need....Want for convenience, two different animals. Wyoming isn't the only area you might be without, or have very weak signal. If you drive a ways, either to get higher than the obstruction, or get closer to a tower, then the signal booster would come in very handy.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2019, 01:47:40 PM »
Need/want. That is the real question.

I have one in my truck. Small portable Wilson (We Boost now)

I have 200 miles of gravel road with signal only twice without it.
With it, I have about 50 miles in the dark.

It’s cheap insurance for gaining better signal especially knowing you’re heading into dead spots.
And you don’t need anything super crazy, just need to gain a few DB of signal.

Knowing you plan on being in poor signal I’d pick one up.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2019, 06:17:35 PM »
OK, good counter argument gents

Can we suggest a practical one for my needs? The one Ken picked out looks of high quality, nice antenna. I assume something with an outside antenna?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2019, 08:11:27 PM »
genrally speaking Don, what you are looking for is an antenna with the same length as the wavelength of the radio signal.  Or at least an even division of that signal.  e.g. 10M signal you would want an antenna about 32ft long.  As your frequency gets higher the antenna gets shorter. Normally a 1/4 wavelength antenna is the best compromise.  So a 900MHz antenna would need about a 33cm antenna or 8 for a 1/4 wavelength.

http://www.hottconsultants.com/techtips/freq-wavelength.html

So look for a booster with an antenna with a wavelength in the range of your carrier's cell signal wavelength

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2019, 09:20:13 PM »
genrally speaking Don, what you are looking for is an antenna with the same length as the wavelength of the radio signal.  Or at least an even division of that signal.  e.g. 10M signal you would want an antenna about 32ft long.  As your frequency gets higher the antenna gets shorter. Normally a 1/4 wavelength antenna is the best compromise.  So a 900MHz antenna would need about a 33cm antenna or 8 for a 1/4 wavelength.

http://www.hottconsultants.com/techtips/freq-wavelength.html

So look for a booster with an antenna with a wavelength in the range of your carrier's cell signal wavelength
OK, understand
Thing is,

I generally roll with two different carriers.

We use ATT and Verizon on two separate plans. I have found that about 100% of the time someone has coverage.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2019, 10:05:38 PM »
Well. Since were spending your money.
This is a multi user option ie: the phone is not in a cradle to work.

https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-4gx

Probably as good a unit as you’ll get without going to the poor house.

I think it’s likely best bang for the buck. I have a cradle unit. I hate it. My phone no fit so good.
Then the cords no reachy so good for where I want to be.
No cradle and cords likely good. And with multi users also good.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2019, 10:56:39 PM »
Mine is similar to the version of that one Sam pointed out. I saved over a hondo going with the 4G-M model. It comes with everything you need, including both antennas. It's designed to work with most (all?) carriers. I just thought the external antenna that came with it was too small for what I am trying to accomplish at the property. Should be just fine for a road trip.
https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-Drive-470121-Signal-Booster/dp/B07CVLDTJJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550634840&sr=8-1&keywords=weboost%2B4gm&th=1

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2019, 05:38:53 PM »
Appreciate the recommendations and information gents. Now I have a place to start, and maybe end up at.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal