Hello Guest

Author Topic: '05 2500hd Build  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Britt

• Registered
    • View Profile
'05 2500hd Build
« on: July 13, 2015, 05:30:16 PM »
I'm new and the truck has been modded over the last several years, so I'll try to keep track of everything and post up what pics I still have.

Bought this 2005 2500hd new and it stayed stock for about 6 months before I started in on it (which amazed all my friends and family).

Here it is in all it's stock, little tired glory. Shiney and all

Poser pic in front yard on 33" tires.

Initial mods were 33" tires (from 29" stock), AEM Cold Air Intake, Wheatly Tune, dual turbo mufflers

Added Westin side steps (removed later)

Unfortunately don't have a lot of pics of front bumper build. I use a lot of scrap steel and frequently buy it at the scrap yard for future projects and don't even know what I'm going to use it on at the time lol.
The subframe for the bumper is 6" C channel w/.25" 4x4" flat plates and two angled legs made from 1.5" .25" wall square tube welded in figure 8 fashion (center section of leg is now .5" thick)
The skin is made from a piece of .1875 (3/16") plate that started life as a blank for a school bus bumper. It had very nice shaped "D's" hydroformed into each long edge. The D shape adds considerable rigidity and strength. I plasma cut pie wedges out to get the shape I wanted overall.

To be continued
'05 Chevy 2500hd
Luke 22:36, Matthew 19:26

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: '05 2500hd Build
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 05:32:46 PM »
I like the way you think on building the bumper. Real metal, not just plate.

Another fluid change??????????
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 05:45:51 PM »
Nice! Another OBS Chev build thread.

I'm in!
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Britt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:52:29 PM »
Initial fitment of bumper skin. Main goals: mount winch, mount tow points, front receiver mount, grill/headlight protection, open up wheel wells for larger tires (factory bumper was only 1" from 33" tires)

Cheap black paint, filled in top, added roller fairlead.
Also added color matched ATC camper shell.

Lots more tire room now.

Got a set of Hutchinson beadlocks w/36" Super Swamper TSL's on them (awful tire in my experience). With the main reasoning of being able to repair/replace tire damage in the field/survival situation.
I wrastled with the beadlocks on/off for over a month, and this set was VERY difficult to work with when using shop tools much less out on the trail. Sure, they looked cool, but didn't do what I wanted, so they went away.

With one of my 33" Sport Kings mounted

Loved the way they looked. Hated taking them apart. Pic shows bumper after adding 1.5" DOM round tubing for grill/headlight guard, and cutouts for Hella 550's. Also added .75" ring to back side of bumper skin to make it look thick as well as set the lights back offering a little protection for them.

Shot above also shows Kargo Master roof rack that I got from Craigslist. It was for a high roof camper shell, and I cut the tubes, lowering it 3" and slugged/narrowed it 2". Added some 1" sq.tube reinforcement and put heavy gauge expanded metal over the campershell as protection and work platform.

To be continued

'05 Chevy 2500hd

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 06:00:13 PM »
OK...

Another one! :)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Britt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 06:10:40 PM »
Front view showing monkey bars I bent to the same lines as the headlights, before shackles/lights/receiver mount

Here's the dual turbo mufflers mentioned previously. The 6.0 has dual 3" exhaust pipes from the manifolds to the one big muffler, out the big muffler as dual 3" that Y's into one 4" tail pipe. I cut right in front of the factory muffler and put these two turbos on from Summit Racing, along with simple turn downs.

More roof rack

At this point I had gotten a truck bed crane/hoist from HF and decided to change it up a little. I welded a 2" square tube to the bottom of the mounting plate, and drilled it for a receiver pin. Ta-da... truck crane. Cheap, effective. Lifts approx 3-400lbs up to 7' in the air (at my rear bumper) and fits in any 2" receiver. It was so simple it was silly and I've used it a lot since making it.

Showing full extension:

Hoist can rotate and lock in multiple positions w/pin thru the tubing mount:

^ pic also shows bumper shackles, front receiver, Hella 550's

Lifts almost 8' tall in front

working/lifting a military engine driven air compressor approx 400lbs. Travels nicely across the yard/rough-ish terrain.

Was able to stick it under the awning next to the yellow compressor without issue.

TBC:

'05 Chevy 2500hd

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 06:27:19 PM »
That's cool!

Offline Britt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 06:43:15 PM »
Front receiver socket is attached to subframe, not skin, so it stays with the subframe (along with the winch) when the outer shell is removed. It's also raised as much as reasonable for better approach angle

Found some more bumper pics that are out of order (sorry)

showing C channel, upper plates mount to factory location, lower legs welded to C and held in lower frame horns with factory bolts.

Mud play day with my helper (can't believe it's been 3 years or so)

New Treadwright retread tires. 315/75/16 (35's) w/BF Goodrich casings (I specified) and Treadwright Guard Dog tread.
They were cheap ($650/4 shipped) and had great reviews, so I went ahead and tried them out. They were awful. One failed within a month, two others didn't last 10k miles before premature seperation/treadwear.

Removed fender flares, pic shows (barely) solar panel mount on roof rack (unfinished project)

Can't see it in the pics but this was about the time my wife borrowed my truck to take to work and drove it under the parking deck. Hitting 4 concrete underhangs before exiting. Top tube on rack was waved badly and all for corners of bed were caved in .5" or so.
Once I got it back from the body shop, I fixed the rack and ringed the bed with 2x3x.25" angle and frenched the corner mounts into that framework, so now any weight on top of the rack is supported by the entire top of the bed.

Initial work on raised bed box. It's 1" square tube w/.75" plywood on top. This is pre-drawers/lids. Shown loaded out for working with my churches disaster relief chainsaw crew.

bunch of pics missing due to stolen computer. Will try to add more old pics as I find them.
Current pics from this year:

Joined up to do the Ozark Overland Challenge this last spring. Covered 187miles off road in the Ozark National Forest in 2.5 days
It was a lot of fun and very interesting. Only gave waypoints and each team had to figure out what trails to use to end up with the least amount of distance overall at the end.
So, I needed to armor up a little.

built rock rails from 5x5x.25" plates bolted to frame, 1.5" DOM round tube for support legs and rub/step rail, and 2x4x.25" rectangle tube (at angle/boatsided) for main rock rail. MUCH better than the Westin step bars.  I can lift each side of the truck off the ground with these and they stay stiff due in part to triangulating the support tubes that go to the rock rails.

bent/welded/painted rub rails. Added grip tape to top (painted later). Truck is now old enough it's got some dings/dents in it and I'm using it offroad frequently, but also DD'ing it.

TBC

'05 Chevy 2500hd

Offline Britt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 06:50:17 PM »
Rub rails stick out as far as the door handles and theoretically allow for mirrors to fold in (if you rubbed a straight tree on flat ground) without damage. I used them in the OOC and have a lot of gouges to show for it. They worked perfectly and I highly suggest anyone with a modern truck that plans to use it offroad to buy/build some.

^ pic shows extension to top rail of roof rack as well as 52" LED light bar and tabs/mounts for limb riser cables added to roof rack and bumper monkey bars.

Thats about all the pics of mods I have right now. I'll try the other computers later and hope to fill in some gaps.

I'm currently working on the rear bumper and will post up those pics once I get it started well.

Thanks for your interest. Britt

'05 Chevy 2500hd

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 07:09:38 PM »
Looking good!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 07:38:55 PM »
nice looking rig, how'd yah get that there dent in the pass door?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 07:54:01 PM »
Nice build Britt-  agree on rock rails!  My step tubes saved me from bodywork due to a glacier at the exit of a parking lot this past winter; bent the tube, but saved the body!  Even in the winter the mulch beds will get you!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Britt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »
nice looking rig, how'd yah get that there dent in the pass door?

Got my store broken into. Caught on camera driving across highway on 4 wheelers. Sheriff didn't have a vehicle to go look if they dropped stuff in the woods. I offered to drive him (first time he'd ever been off road). Took my truck down 4 wheeler trails often a little off camber, and passed a little too close to a fresh cut tree trunk they removed from the trail most likely with one of my stolen chainsaws.

I'm planning on doing the rest of the body mods this fall and in spring going over all the maroon with a dark tan/flat dark earth Monstaliner. I'll straighten out the body and vent the hood as well as do the snorkel first though.
'05 Chevy 2500hd

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 09:17:18 PM »
sorry to hear that, at least its a battle scar with a good story...........?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 09:29:50 PM »
Good practical build shaping up here

Not many take a newer truck to the place where you are cutting and welding.

Not many except for the folks here, that is!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 10:29:02 PM »
I really like that hoist.
Could you get a couple close ups of it and or dimensions.
I might just have to make one of those.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Britt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 10:20:56 AM »
I really like that hoist.
Could you get a couple close ups of it and or dimensions.
I might just have to make one of those.

Get one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-60732-9889.html
Weld a piece on the bottom of 2x2x16"(length may vary), make sure it's "thick wall", .25 or so.
Place rig in receiver and mark/drill pin hole.
Done job. Lift heavy stuff and amaze your friends!

It's a great tool for self reliance. Don't have to have a second (or 3, 4) person to help lift/move over rough ground. 
'05 Chevy 2500hd

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal