Hello Guest

Author Topic: New M1 Abrams  (Read 774 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
New M1 Abrams
« on: October 09, 2022, 05:52:28 PM »
https://youtu.be/TcfuyyxFtgQ

3-man crew
.50 cal replaced with a 30mm
New 120mm main gun
New engine with 50% lower fuel consumption
Some kind of idle and low speed silent mode that makes almost no sound!
Improved for more urban ops
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: New M1 Abrams
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 12:30:37 PM »
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's THE NEW ABRAMS. It's a technology demonstrator. Coolest part of it is the diesel/electric power pack.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 05:57:58 PM »
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's THE NEW ABRAMS. It's a technology demonstrator. Coolest part of it is the diesel/electric power pack.
OK, I stand corrected. I thought that thing was a done deal.
Not liking the idea of an autoloader
Ever see the MBT-70 which kept its whole crew of three in the turret?
Having been a tanker I think the crew of four (for maintenance and thrown track times) and for fixing things that won't shoot and just dividing up the tasks proportionally is the right solution. The M1A2 series seems to be working quite well with it's arrangement of 4 crewmembers

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 03:54:49 PM »
OK, I stand corrected. I thought that thing was a done deal.
Not liking the idea of an autoloader
Ever see the MBT-70 which kept its whole crew of three in the turret?
Having been a tanker I think the crew of four (for maintenance and thrown track times) and for fixing things that won't shoot and just dividing up the tasks proportionally is the right solution. The M1A2 series seems to be working quite well with it's arrangement of 4 crewmembers

It does. The autoloader is coming, even if we stick with a more traditional style M1. Reason is the increased weight and length of the newer main gun rounds make manual loading much slower than it is now. There will always be a manual loading option, though. The army leaders are pushing for a crew of 3 for a couple reasons. 1: with an autoloader, you don't need 4, 2: with the current manning issues, there have to be cuts somewhere. I'd rather have a 4 tank platoon with 3 man crews than a 3 tank platoon with 4 man crews. 3 is the no less than number, though.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 04:32:18 PM »
In the 1-13 Armor I served in about a century ago, the TO&E had each platoon set up with five M60-A1/3's. Light section of two commanded by the Platoon Sgt, and the Heavy section of three commanded by the Plt Ldr. Was a good setup for when you lost 1-2 or more tanks

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 08:02:15 PM »
Imagine when the tanks are unmanned and controlled by someone from a bunker in AZ like the drones….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 01:46:10 PM »
Imagine when the tanks are unmanned and controlled by someone from a bunker in AZ like the drones….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't see this ever happening. Too many moral issues. Not to mention, will probably lead to more frequent wars. What limits you from going to war when you've got little risk of losing Soldiers?
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal