Hello Guest

Author Topic: Camp stove  (Read 5226 times)

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Camp stove
« on: August 04, 2015, 11:28:41 AM »
I'm looking at getting a camp stove to haul around with me at work to have a hot lunch every now and then. 

I thought about a tabletop grill but it seems like an actual camp stove with a couple burners would be a better investment.   Would be nice to be able to use a frying pan on it for eggs or what not.  And if I wanted to grill something a cast iron griddle could be used.   

Should I just get one of the colemans at Wally World or does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share?

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Camp stove
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 11:49:17 AM »
I'd get the "propane" version, as the old pump, white gas ones are like a pressurized "Molotov" when seals and needle valves go bad.......first hand experience!  I do miss the "nostalgia" of it all though.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 11:58:56 AM »
Have you looked at the camp stoves at Gander Mountain or Cabelas?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 12:12:54 PM »
Have you looked at the camp stoves at Gander Mountain or Cabelas?

I have and they all seem to be similar.  BTU output is similar and build quality is about the same. Coleman has the same stoves at all the different stores for similar prices. 

There is a brand called Snow Peak that seems far and away a better quality stove but it's also twice the price. Camo chef is another I've seen.

Copy that on propane.  Never considered anything else really.  The idea of cooking food over gas or other liquids never appealed to me.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035O37DU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1UJBW5M7ONFJI&coliid=I2XSW599I0JMCY

I use the 3 burner Tahoe version but want this 2 burner for camping since the 3 burner is a little unweildy.  The legs store underneath and you can get a lot of accessories.  . 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 01:30:47 PM »
I'm a big fan of the good old coleman 2 burner. folds up like a suitcase when it's done, easy to clean, does the job. found one here for $50, but I'm sure you can find them used for close to nothing.  http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/603354-coleman-perfectflow-2-burner-propane-stove.html?feedsource=1&gclid=CjwKEAjwxYGuBRCtoqjkrIPDqDwSJAAnd-rCE7FNR1G6UGOAvVwNqlfvAN3GK_tAfDh13yrZdFCH0BoCdf7w_wcB
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 01:57:35 PM »
I have played with a lot of these, and they all vary widely for their purposes.  give us a run down as to how you think you will use something like this and for what kinds of meals?

for example: I have a little 1 burner coleman dual fuel stove that I take with me out to the field.  I have a little pot/canteen cup that I use with it.  it mostly gets used to heat water for washing and shaving, coffee, and making some sort of a stew'ish meal out of several different MRE's.......?!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:59:59 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 02:12:12 PM »
I am a Coleman dual fuel fan as well although if you are looking to just keep this stored in your kit in a vehicle and only occasionally use it a propane version may make more sense. I have heard good things about the Camp Chef models and IIRC they have higher BTU's of the burners than a lot of the other brands propane versions. But I wasn't sure if you were looking for something that uses 1 lb propane bottles or a full size 20 lb tank?

Ditto nmeyer's comment....what kinds of meals, how often, where will you be keeping it etc. May be able to provide some additional ideas.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 03:02:08 PM »
This is what me and my brother use most of the time. Lightweight. has seen a lot of camp food over the years. Don't let the plastic fool you...it's held up well.
 It has a griddle. It has a grease trap. Not a direct flame grill.
The kind Tex uses lasts forever tho. A cut and dry outdoor grill....dare I say indestructable.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1074488929031698564?sclient=psy-ab&biw=1536&bih=770&q=paul+tuttle+camp+stove&oq=paul+tuttle+camp+stove&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.99261572,d.cGU&tch=1&ech=1&psi=dQrBVZTbFZbWoASG7pf4Ag.1438714485815.9&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX2qc09idvZK8eLm7NQ07EJG8h-1J1FmvTYV3j_eSlAc3ggsZoJhxyKTRKZHL9RSP8aZrcV-DCsK-cOjnbFBeprEBCLXYxnhKvU5jYEbHZhM8Qqo44xIZAFPVH731SUqCji2WYVom92XfrVF2krPrkQ&ved=0CDIQqStqFQoTCNm16K-NkMcCFcU3iAodPgADmA&ei=ugrBVdnwNcXvoAS-gIzACQ
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 03:04:35 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 03:49:28 PM »
I have played with a lot of these, and they all vary widely for their purposes.  give us a run down as to how you think you will use something like this and for what kinds of meals?

for example: I have a little 1 burner coleman dual fuel stove that I take with me out to the field.  I have a little pot/canteen cup that I use with it.  it mostly gets used to heat water for washing and shaving, coffee, and making some sort of a stew'ish meal out of several different MRE's.......?!

I'm thinking for meals maybe frying a hamburger, or chicken breast. Small skillet for eggs or a grilled cheese.  Mostly just work lunch type stuff instead of a cold store bought sandwich and a bag of chips. 
I am fortunate enough to be able to stop at a grocery store every day pretty much whenever I want so I can grab some hamburger patties and go to town. 

It will just be stored in the bed of the truck in one of my roughneck tupperwares that lives back there.  And yeah I'm wanting to stay with the 1# propane bottle size.  I may grab an adapter to hook it up to the BBQ grill size one but I don't want anything too big.  Thinking about the ones Tate referred to that fold up and stow easily.

As for the last one posted the blue one.  That's more than what I want. Just looking to set it on the tailgate and cook real quick. No drawn out set up or break down.  And as I mentioned.  Simple easy. 
But could come in real handy in an emergency.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 03:53:40 PM by husker77c »

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 05:09:56 PM »
Given when you said, I would go with a combination like this from Coleman:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Camp-Cooking-Dining/Camp-Blind-Stoves%7C/pc/104795280/c/581015880/sc/104246280/Coleman174-Signature-Series-InstaStart8482-Propane-GrillStove/1969880.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcamp-blind-stoves%2F_%2FN-1116227%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104246280

You can grille a burger on it but also has a burner to put a frying pan on. I have a similar one to this that is "all grille" no burner. It is okay. Its only one heat tube under the grille so for trying to cook a lot on it is not so easy but I have used it everywhere for years in all weather (camping in the summer and on our neighborhood pond in the winter) and it takes a real beating and keeps working. I think this would work well for what you described. I see Camp Chef sells one also but one of the reviews says its pretty flimsy. I dunno what they were comparing it to but the Coleman one I have has held up for years as I say.

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 05:43:32 PM »
That might be just what I'm looking for. 

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 06:52:06 PM »
that coleman one seems just about right for what you are wanting to do with it.

may I also suggest a small little 8" cast iron skillet with cover to go with it.  almost impossible to ruin/destroy.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L5SK3-Pre-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Skillet/dp/B00008GKDG

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L5IC3-Cast-Iron-8-inch/dp/B000809QMK

and the one with just the lid has a bundle deal with the skillet and the hot pad for the handle for like $30
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:56:10 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 07:43:43 PM »
That looks like a neat little stove Wilbur.

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 10:02:50 PM »

may I also suggest a small little 8" cast iron skillet with cover to go with it.  almost impossible to ruin/destroy.

and the one with just the lid has a bundle deal with the skillet and the hot pad for the handle for like $30

You certainly may suggest and it is in my cart for my next order.  As well as the stove. 

Thanks guys

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 10:53:37 PM »
I have a Coleman fold n go, as well as the two burner camp chef as my two go to stoves now.
Among a ton of others. Being you said 1# as primary I'd say the fold n go. There are griddle inserts available as well for them. Very compact, lots of heat and fairly robust on the beat it up scale. Being you probably won't see 40 below I won't warn you to warm it up before use. I guess I just did. Lol. As me how I know, scary times.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 06:50:58 AM »

You certainly may suggest and it is in my cart for my next order.  As well as the stove. 

Thanks guys

just make sure you get a really good seasoning on the skillet and lid before you use it.  here is some info that I posted about cast iron cook ware.  http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=789.0

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 08:48:10 AM »
Wood burner perhaps??????

http://www.solostove.com/
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 09:00:06 AM »

That is really cool.  Can't be the quickness of propane though.   I'd have to gather twigs and such.  Need to be able to deploy it, cook and get it put up ~30 minutes give or take.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 09:22:29 AM »

That is really cool.  Can't be the quickness of propane though.   I'd have to gather twigs and such.  Need to be able to deploy it, cook and get it put up ~30 minutes give or take.
True, but on the flip side you would get quicker with time, it would be a cool novelty, and you'd never be without fuel as long as someone shows up with a straw hat!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 09:47:56 AM »
That's an awesome piece of kit Don.  Works like those charcoal chimney starters. 

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 09:56:35 AM »
That's an awesome piece of kit Don.  Works like those charcoal chimney starters. 

Gotta straw hat???

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 11:25:02 AM »
I almost picked up this one yesterday at Cabela's for my Bug-out kit, but wanted to research more before jumping on it- folds flat and plenty of fuel around for it!  They sell the same made of titanium that I'm considering, though it's twice the $.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Camp-Cooking-Dining/Camp-Blind-Stoves|/pc/104795280/c/581015880/sc/104246280/Emberlit-Stainless-Steel-Camp-Stove/1829871.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcamp-blind-stoves%2F_%2FN-1116227%2FNo-48%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP%26recordsPerPage%3D48

DID PICK IT UP - Write-up in "Dot's Bug-out Bag" circa 8/14/15
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:57:38 PM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 12:28:21 PM »
Back in my boy scout leadin days, we made tons of these guys. The scout camp had a surplus of the cans from ketchup and tomatoes etc, lots of tuna cans, and piles of corrugated cardboard. we'd prep the #10 cans as shown, and coil up a piece of cardboard slightly taller than the tuna can and pack it in, then fill with melted paraffin; the bulk sticks for canning jams works great. The cardboard would act as a wick and just burn the wax, and the tops of those little stoves got so hot they would sometimes warp out, but they worked extremely well for OA ordeals and survival camp merit badge training. I could see one being very re-usable with pellets and starting gel as well.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 09:47:13 PM »

Gotta straw hat???

Remind me not to get close to you and that stove. Seems like you really want to burn a straw hat, and you ain't getting mine.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 09:54:38 PM »

Gotta straw hat???

Remind me not to get close to you and that stove. Seems like you really want to burn a straw hat, and you ain't getting mine.
Set a girl's grass skirt on fire once...just cause
I was a bit more anry back then than I am now
Never burned up a straw hat though

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 06:00:58 AM »
Why do I feel like there is a story behind that. Showing up in the book, part deaux?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 07:04:25 AM »
Why do I feel like there is a story behind that. Showing up in the book, part deaux?

That's part of the old me...just stuff of history. But it sure was funny

And for clarification it was not like a flaming roman candle sort of thing. Just a little fire here and there that seemed to constantly make that skirt shorter and shorter...was a mischief/funny thing at a luau

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 01:42:41 PM »
I thought of this thread when I was shopping for the rv. I grabbed this little Aussie tabletop grill. It's not very heavy, and it's stainless top to bottom . I got a hose to convert from 1# bottles to a 20# tank:

OldKooT

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 02:51:17 PM »
I don't have a picture handy but a buddy built a little booze stove that can grill or be used with pans. And it's far faster than the Coleman propane stove I have. (likely higher btu) It also always works at altitude, unlike the propane Coleman.

This winter I may experiment with building a few homemade camp stoves. I dislike propane for off road travel.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal