Hello Guest

Author Topic: Chrysler is buying my trucks back.  (Read 2242 times)

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Chrysler is buying my trucks back.
« on: September 19, 2015, 10:01:56 AM »
So some of you know about the recall on certain Dodge trucks.  I got my letter in the mail stating that they are buying my trucks back.  I have a 2012 Ram 2500 and a 2012 Ram 4500.  According to the letter I have the option of getting it fixed for free or them buying it back at "fair market value". They have a link to see what the value is approximately and it's a little low but with the financial bind I've been in I'm pretty sure I'm going to take them up on the offer.   

I owe money on the 4500 so that will eliminate my $900/mo payment on it and the 2500 is paid for so I will come out with a decent chunk of change in my pocket. The Ford will be my only truck at that point though.  So I will have to pull my 14k pound fifth wheel with the Ford. Unless I decide to get a new one but I really don't want to get out of debt then go right back in.   

Lots of things to think about but overall.  It's a darn good day.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Chrysler is buying my trucks back.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 12:11:59 PM »
Are they willing to negotiate? When Toyota went through this with their frame rusting issue they treated every vehicle as being in pristine condition and took the hit. A friend of mine is a regional guy for Toyota and he told me they were accepting woods trucks from VT and ME that had not been registered in years and we're only used as field vehicles...  rusted to the gills and Toyota was buying them as if they were in showroom condition (except for the mileage)....I would see what Chrysler is willing to offer having seen the vehicle or do some research to see how the condition aspect is being treated. Always good to get rid of a debt for sure so selling it may make the most sense....but if you can get more cash that is better still! Good luck!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 12:36:52 PM »
The moment I started reading this, the thought came over me to pray over this situation.
Hey, we are asked to pray for all things big and small

Father God, give this man the wisdom to make the best decision in accordance with your will in this matter and for his life, Amen

There, that should do it!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »
The moment I started reading this, the thought came over me to pray over this situation.
Hey, we are asked to pray for all things big and small

Father God, give this man the wisdom to make the best decision in accordance with your will in this matter and for his life, Amen

There, that should do it!

Thank you sir!
This is a good problem to have. After talking with my dad and my fiancĂ© I've decided I am going to sell them back for sure.  The buyback doesn't start until October 1st so I've got some time and I'm working 7 days a week for a few months so there should be plenty of time to see what others are getting and what the process goes like.  I don't know if they will negotiate or not and I also don't know how they will treat my rims and tires and the flatbed on the cab and chassis.  I probably need to install the factory wheels and tires back on and I'll have to wait and see what they say about the flatbed.   You have to call for a value on the 4500 and they won't be open till Monday.  Man it's been a crazy day. 

I won't need to pull my fifth wheel until the end of the year and I've been sitting here thinking I probably need to get the swap done because the 300k mile IDI might not have enough juice to pull my trailer.   I am really digging the idea of the Ford as my only truck.  No matter where I go I will always have it with me if I turn it into my tow pig/daily/work truck/zombie ride.   So many things to do first though.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 01:17:35 PM »
I had a 1992 F250 7.3 IDI once

I bolted on a hypermax turbo and turned up the pump. Check it out. There is a lot more power to be had from that boat anchor. Or you could get creative and dump in a 12 valve 6BT!

BTW, you'll need a mirror and work backwards to turn up the fuel screw. I think I went one flat of the hex at a time. After just three flats it was pushing black smoke!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 09:33:50 PM »
Try to get on a cash basis. There is freedom in cash

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 10:24:38 PM »
Try to get on a cash basis. There is freedom in cash

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Precisely why i decided I'm going to sell.  Kill my largest monthly payment and double my savings. It's a no brainier really.  Plus this way I can dump Money in the Ford relatively guilt free to fix it up to daily driver status.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 04:39:45 PM »
Got a letter about our 09 dodge farm truck. I don't remember what they wanted to give on trade it but it was not worth it. Just put a aluminum flat bed on it. Also deleted the emissions crap tuned it with straight pipe and stack. If it were still stock it would have gone bye bye.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 04:43:08 PM »
So what do you two guys say about the 6.7 Cummins?

What about the steering and the front axle unit bearing problem?

Are these good trucks or...??

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 08:41:35 PM »
The first thing you need to do with the the 6.7 is get it deleted. If I didn't see it for myself I would never believe the difference. Its a whole new truck.  The emissions crap just has it castrated. I love my duramax but when I need to tow something I jump in the dodge. Unless it's my camper. The chevy rides way better.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 09:00:08 PM »
I have zero complaints about my 6.7. This is my second one. I had an 07.5 I traded in on this one.  ive never dealt with the DEF trucks which I believe are 13 and later.   If I hadn't got the letter mine would've been deleted this winter. I wanted to wait till it turned 100k before I did anything and since it turned I haven't really had time to do it.   I love my Dodge I just love getting out of debt more.

I've had no issues with the front end in either truck I've owned.  I did replace the wheel bearing last week but with 127k on it it's about time for those things to start happening.  I don't beat on my trucks but I don't pamper them either.  They're good trucks.  They're the cheapest 3/4-1tin truck you can buy and I don't think I need to cheer the benefits of the Cummins to anyone on this forum haha. Mine would pull my camper up any hill I wanted to as fast as I dared go.  I've pulled the Rockies a few times and pulled all over the Appalachians down through Tennessee and Kentucky and those hills  when i lived in Texas.

The recall is due to a tie rod stud that was prone to breaking and causing a rather unsafe condition as you could imagine.  Then dodge issued the recall and when people started taking them in dodge didn't have the parts in stock to replace the part. This went on for months and I think some accidents occurred and dodge was probably sued and this buy back is part of the result of that.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 09:14:14 PM by husker77c »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal