Hello Guest

Author Topic: VW blood runs deep  (Read 4594 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: VW blood runs deep
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 11:26:12 PM »
People want power,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think the greenies are mad, so follow the $$$$
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 07:06:20 AM »
Wonder if VW is to blame for all that emissions garbage falling off my Duramax.....  I gained over 3mpg.  Interesting that emissions causes lower fuel mileage...
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 05:36:54 PM »
Ma as well blame them. Everyone else is!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 07:53:34 AM »
I'll say one thing that VW is to blame, the delivery of my GMC Canyon diesel. the EPA was breathing down GM's neck to make sure the 2.8L "performed as tested"

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 09:23:44 AM »
I'll say one thing that VW is to blame, the delivery of my GMC Canyon diesel. the EPA was breathing down GM's neck to make sure the 2.8L "performed as tested"
Likely!

Ya know, I think I'm done with these modern diesels just because of this ridiculous EPA mandate(s).
Think about it, manufacturers now have to detune YOUR engine just to keep some tree hugger happy!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 09:46:12 AM »
Ya know, I think I'm done with these modern diesels just because of this ridiculous EPA mandate(s).
Think about it, manufacturers now have to detune YOUR engine just to keep some tree hugger happy!

No question....I had looked at this a few years ago (2013) and compared the tdi diesel Jetta sold in the US to the tdi diesel Jetta sold in the UK-

the US version of the 2.0L TDI Jetta gets 42 highway, 30 city. (the UK reports using imperial gallons so I had to adjust for that) The UK version of the 2.0L TDI Jetta gets 62.8 highway, 42.2 city which converts to 52.3 (US) highway and 35.2 (US) city. (The UK manual transmission gets even better mileage (68.9 hwy=57.4 US and 46.3 city=38.6 US) but maybe the manual transmissions have different gearing etc. (the US version has the same mileage for manual and automatic) The 0-60 times appear equal +/- 9 seconds depending on which site you look at so its not a huge difference in gearing if there is one.

So we are definitely paying a price for emissions nonsense.  ::)

Of course....my calculations were before the emissions issue blew up on VW so I have no idea what the accurate numbers are at this point. but maybe there is an eve greater difference in the numbers between the UK and US versions than what I calculated.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 09:49:14 AM »
yep.  and deleting a modern duramax motor gains 30% in mileage....or so I've heard
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 02:04:21 PM »
yep.  and deleting a modern duramax motor gains 30% in mileage....or so I've heard

ha!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 03:06:32 PM »

On that subject- nearing the magic 100,000 mile mark and looking to start a deleted parts assembly.  Are there still tuners available to do so?  Last I was on Dmax site, before we went live hear, it was the talk that they were gonna dry up and blow away.  Anyone know of or have recommendations what path to head down?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 04:29:10 PM »

On that subject- nearing the magic 100,000 mile mark and looking to start a deleted parts assembly.  Are there still tuners available to do so?  Last I was on Dmax site, before we went live hear, it was the talk that they were gonna dry up and blow away.  Anyone know of or have recommendations what path to head down?
I just did my 2013. you have to use EFI Live. There are several tuners building tunes for it though. Mine is throwing a check engine light for high EGR flow. The cooler is removed and everything is unplugged so I aint real sure why that's happening. I need to get back with them when I get home from work to get that taken care of.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:30:11 PM by rasimmo »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 04:29:55 PM »
Looks like ATP is only doing emissions compliant tuning only on the LML's...

I think PPEI has delete tuning for 950 or something like that
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 04:32:29 PM »
They are still out there. Mostly sold as race tuners with signing of waivers and all that.

Then there is stand alone things like EFI-Live.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 08:13:55 PM »
PPEI or Idaho Rob. Both use EFI live. If you are lucky enough to have earlier than an LML you get to have switch on the fly dsp5. Means you rotate a knob to change tunes instead of reflashing to change HP output.

Tunes are about $400 and the Autocal is another $450. Do it. You'll wonder why it took you so long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:47:43 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 08:52:37 PM »
Tex I would have recommended Idaho Rob but I'm not sure if he does delete tuning for the LML anymore. When I went on their site I thought I saw the only option for LML was emissions in tact tuning, could be wrong tho. Worth a call tho, the guys at ATP are first class.

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 08:54:29 PM »
Pretty sure he does. But worth checking out.  I wanted to buy another autocal and his tunes and run some comparisons with PPEI

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 09:41:25 PM »
Rob was using motorops across the border, for deletes, at one time.

I know Kory is still doing it, because I just tuned one a couple weeks ago for a customer.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »
I've talked to Rob on the phone a couple times, Dustin a bunch, and Vernon and Cody once or twice. All solid dudes, I'm a huge fan of ATP. His tuning was awesome on my LMM, and I will run it on my LBZ too once my warranty is up.

NRA Life Member

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 10:08:22 PM »
Rob was using motorops across the border, for deletes, at one time.

I know Kory is still doing it, because I just tuned one a couple weeks ago for a customer.

Was there any issue with CEL on his tunes? Mine is popping up a code for high egr flow. I don't remember the exact number. EGR ain't flowing much in the loft of my barn so I'm confused. The 3 connections for it are unplugged but it still throws that code.

Cuda,
To give you a cost estimate. For exhaust w/muffler, downpipe, sinister egr delete, autocal, and tunes I paid $1675 shipped.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:59:22 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 07:05:13 AM »
Thanks guys- keep the suggestions coming as I'm going to be slowly making a shopping list.........
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 08:21:10 AM »
If you're deleting, efi live is hands down the best route

NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 09:23:16 AM »
Was there any issue with CEL on his tunes? Mine is popping up a code for high egr flow. I don't remember the exact number. EGR ain't flowing much in the loft of my barn so I'm confused. The 3 connections for it are unplugged but it still throws that code.

I did my LML and that LMM at the same time, and came out the way they should. Then I realized that kory had a tune for the Titan 57gal tank, so Willie ( Kory) sent me an updated one for free, but now my truck hisses instead of rumbles....haven't had time to bother with it.
Before those 2 trucks, I did an 09 cummins, and had issues. His display keeps sayin "dpf filter plugged", and they didn't help me out with that. Matter of fact, I was really disappointed with how they handled it (Kory's wife....couldn't get ahold of Kory himself). She ended up sayin that the issue was with the overhead trip computer (which gets it's info from the engine pcm) and they couldn't fix it. Arguing did no good.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 01:26:58 PM »

That aint much encouragement. I'll be heading home tomorrow. Hopefully we can get it straightened out.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 08:46:17 PM »
I've been running Robs tunes now for years with no issues or codes(DSP5).

Limped tranny once hitting a big hill flat out with 150 tune. Keep it on 100 most of the time.

I do the speedo, tank and "other" things myself.

I think with all the new regs being able to tune as you wish will be the only way to do many things. Any US company defeating the regs brings HUGE liabilities.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:48:48 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 09:25:01 PM »
I am a fan of starlite diesel.  Zac has been in the tuning since day one, keeps things on the lower level of extreme and man I just updated my tunes for added fuel and wot is absolute arousing

Raising boys into RealMen!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal