Hello Guest

Author Topic: Miss Daisy's Resto  (Read 44815 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Daisy's Resto
« Reply #150 on: April 10, 2015, 07:39:38 PM »
very true!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2015, 08:59:35 PM »
so here is a question that I need assistance on.

if the fuel gauge is stuck at 1/3 of a tank, regardless of what side tank I am selecting, does that mean that I have a lose of power to the gauge or .......?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2015, 10:38:23 PM »
so here is a question that I need assistance on.

if the fuel gauge is stuck at 1/3 of a tank, regardless of what side tank I am selecting, does that mean that I have a lose of power to the gauge or .......?

Most obvious, a mechanically stuck needle due to corrosion, dust, age, vibration and who knows what

Does it read 1/3 all the time? Even when the key is off? If so, bad gage
If it reads the same on both tanks then I would not suspect either float/level indicator in the tank, but something common to both like a faulty ground wire for the gage, or a faulty ribbon cable in the dash cluster. So pull the cluster apart and closely inspect the printed ribbon (the copper foil lines) for breaks and damage. Use a pencil eraser at the contact points or some spray contact cleaner (Brake cleaner is close) on those parts. Lightly blow out the recessed areas in the cluster and clean everything. Next, I'd suspect the switch that switches between tanks. The switch itself, the connections, or the wires. Check for a decent ground. You might drop a tank that is empty and move the float up and down with the key on to see if the gage moves with it as it should.

Beyond that, use C4 packed in those same recessed areas and apply a spark
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2015, 12:26:23 AM »
First make sure the 3 (or 4) wire connector on the firewall didn't get knocked loose or isn't corroded, under the hood, near where the throttle cable comes out of the firewall.
The gauge will read last known amount, so being at 1/3 could just mean it had 1/3 when a connection broke ...at the firewall, switch, or cluster/gauge itself, and the other things Don mentioned, like the ribbon.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2015, 03:02:55 AM »
Nate, I have an entire dash you can have with a good fuel gauge.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2015, 02:22:21 PM »
give me a call this weekend JR

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2015, 08:09:20 PM »
Nate, any updates on the truck build??
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2015, 01:09:46 PM »
no new updates on daisy.  currently she is my DD because the duramax is in the shop getting looked at.  I still have to do the front end rebuild when I get the duramax back.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2015, 02:17:06 PM »
Whats happening with the DMax???
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2015, 03:27:09 PM »
black betty is throwing a p0087 "low fuel rail pressure" code, I changed the 2 hoses by the filter housing, new filter housing (about 2 years old), a race plug. 

because I don't have a tech 2 I cant read the balance rates as well as the actual and demanded fuel pressure. 

I did not do the bottle test after I put the race plug in a year ago to ensure that I didn't knick the gasket. 

and I really want to find out what the actual issue is  before I just go and throw parts at it like a lift pump, etc.

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2015, 03:33:50 PM »
I need to those hoses on mine and check the others. No codes but I keep loosing prime. Already did the head a few weeks back. Pumps right up and runs fine otherwise.

Look at the new CTS module form edge. I think it reads those codes and is bigger than the older ones like I have.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online JR

• View Profile

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2015, 03:42:24 PM »
Black betty tuned nate? Could be collapsing a hose somewhere between the tank and the filter housing.

The new CTS2 is really sweet btw... of course, it came out like a month after i bought my CTS. But you can pick up the 1st gen CTS pretty cheap now, and people are selling them used for way cheap.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2015, 10:05:01 PM »
Nate, I've also had a couple come in with the hoses, going up the left side of the trans to the engine, collapsing.
...but I think you probably did the right thing taking it in.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 10, 2015, 08:40:13 PM »
just an update on the duramax,

well its official, I am going to have to shell out $2k and have the cp3 replaced.  the mechanic checked all the hoses and lines from the tank all the way up, found no leaks on or around the filter housing, checked all injectors balance rates and return rates, and finally found that when he commands 100% from the cp3 it drops and is only putting out 5k psi. 

he is gonna do a bottle test tomorrow just to ensure that when I put the race plug in 2 years ago I didn't accidently knock the gasket.  but i have never seen and fuel leaks around the race plug and i do not have any residue build up either. 

so well see what happens.

daisy on the other hand has been driven everyday for the last 2 weeks and she has been doing good, even at highway speeds of 70mph.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 10, 2015, 09:13:28 PM »
man that stinks. hope it's something simple and not the cp3...

but if you and your mechanic are confident the cp3 has one foot in the grave, get it outta there. you don't want to risk sending any metal shavings or anything to your rails and injectors.
NRA Life Member

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2015, 09:34:23 PM »
yeah he is calling his bosch distributor tomorrow and getting a new factory cp3

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2015, 10:06:34 PM »
He's sure it's not a supply problem Nate? Did he try the clear hose test between the filter and the pump? Just throwin something out there.....I mean, a plugged screen in the tank, or an air intrusion, or, or..... would also drop rail pressure.
Or maybe he's more of a dmax expert than myself, which wouldn't take much!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2015, 09:07:47 AM »
Nate, How about having your CP3 overhauled at a pump builder? Plenty of them around. I'm guessing $1300 ish, perhaps as low as $1,100. Did you check into that?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2015, 09:24:20 AM »
I am waiting on my mech to call me back with the final price.  from what he was telling me yesterday, was that it would be like $900 for a new bosch unit from a bosch distributor, about $200 for additional parts and about $1k for the labor.  I am not worried that my mech is trying to take me for a ride, he is a prior marine diesel mech, served in the golf war and has actually taken care of me when I had the vane position sensor replaced.  heck, the guy gave me a ride 50 miles one way to my house and refused to take my money when I offered him something to cover the cost of the fuel. 

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2015, 09:27:53 AM »
I am almost tempted to ask him if I can assist so that I can learn a little something about the duramax engines

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2015, 11:00:51 AM »
You found a good mech, should probably go with that!

But did you at least check? Might to get a mo-better, higher performin' pump from a shop.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2015, 11:11:37 AM »
i am sure there are better pumps out there, but for the time being, $$$ is dictating what it is that i can get.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:47:07 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2015, 11:42:14 AM »
Everything I've read says stay stock unless you're doing a proper engine build...

Danville makes a nice modded pump for 970 after core, but most say it's not worth running a modded pump unless you have big power goals, bigger injectors, and are up for an engine build at some point.

http://www.danvilleperformance.com/modified-lbz-cp3-pump/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:12:09 PM by EL TATE »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2015, 11:59:51 AM »
Tha'ts for an LB7 Mr. Tate
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 11, 2015, 01:48:59 PM »
Heck, I need to score one of those and slam it on my LML and toss that crappy CP4A

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2015, 02:58:14 PM »
thanks for the link, I will pass that on to my mech and see what he has to say.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2015, 05:19:20 PM »
NP. Hope it helps some.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 12, 2015, 09:50:42 PM »
well I should have B.B. back by Friday next week.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 12, 2015, 10:02:04 PM »
well I should have B.B. back by Friday next week.

"Ramble am....."
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 12, 2015, 10:27:30 PM »
that is exactly how she got her name.  as I pulled up to the dealer, the sales guy had it started and ready for me to take it for a test drive, as I pulled out of the parking lot and was merging onto the interstate, ram jam's black betty came on and caused me to turn up the music and let the bose speakers rock it.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 12, 2015, 10:29:02 PM »

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 12, 2015, 10:45:58 PM »
There's some nostalgic videos on that page.....ZZ Top "Legs" video....wow!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2015, 10:51:56 AM »
ok folks, i have 2 bits of information here.

1. daisy is going up for sale.  yes thats right she is being put up for sale a few months after i bought her.  she is being put up for sale because we will be moving in about 9 months, starting a huge transition into civilian life and we are needing to down size the meyer household in order to make our packing and move as seamless, easy and painless as possible in one trip.  so with that being said, i am ofering first dibs to RealMan folks.  considering that i paid $3k for her, and have ordered/put on $1k worth of parts, i am looking at $4k for a price tag.  i feel that is a fair offer because of the condition of the vehicle, etc.

2. status update on the duramax.  had a new CP3 put on along with all new lines from the tank all the way to the CP3 to include a new filter and a plug to replace the race valve that went bad.  well i got a call yesterday saying she was done and ready for pck up.  i drove the hour one way, took it for a test drive and popped the P0087 (low fuel rail pressure code) several times.  i left her at the shop and told my mech to call me when he gets it figured out.  just off hand, what kind of reviews do you folks have in regards to FASS system pumps????

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 01, 2015, 11:37:43 AM »
Ouch that is rough to hear regarding Black Betty...

I've read quite a bit Airdog vs. FASS... seems that neither are flawless. Don has had issues with one or the other, can't remember. People gripe about both though. Seems like folks have had good luck with the Kennedy pumps I hear. I think that's the route I'm going to go when I do my lift pump, for what it's worth.
NRA Life Member

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 01, 2015, 12:26:19 PM »
The Kennedy pumps Don and I run are more for feed vs HP setups.

If you have low fuel pressure, I don't think a lift pump will fix that.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 01, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »
JR, he probably is sucking air somewhere, so the lift pump should solve that issue....unless there's a restriction in the tank.

...forgot to mention that I have a Fass and been trouble free so far.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:25:57 PM by KensAuto »

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 01, 2015, 03:49:17 PM »
Do I smell a Nate n Bobby deal in the making, with Bobby getting to take advantage of the " just for Bobby" smoker session upon pick up of said pickup?

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 01, 2015, 04:28:49 PM »
Do I smell a Nate n Bobby deal in the making, with Bobby getting to take advantage of the " just for Bobby" smoker session upon pick up of said pickup?

Isn't in purchasing mode yet. Still in search mode. Although, I won't turn down some Q.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 01, 2015, 05:39:49 PM »
Really sorry to hear about your lousy set of events here. Mine turned out to be sucking air through a broken bleeder screw, and I know you've gone through all that, but sucking air or physical blockage in the tank like Ken was talking about make the most sense to me. Sad to hear you're parting with Daisy, but not sad that the smoker will soon be within driving distance.

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 02, 2015, 01:37:43 PM »
The sucking air thing is tuff to find. I still have issues but it runs fine, no codes just annoying sometimes.

Funny thing I was at DMV getting the paperwork done on the trailer and a guy had a Dmax that wouldn't run. I showed him the pump and he was off. You could hear his pushing air at the pump though.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2015, 05:31:13 PM »
well, I got B.B. back today.  she runs like a raped ape again and no more fuel issues.

the CP3 got replaced, was still getting P0087 Code, dealer ran the dye machine and found that the one of the draw lines on top of the tank was pinched/collapsed. 

so 3 years ago when I had the titan tank installed by 4 wheel parts, they pinched one of the draw lines on the top of the tank between the tank and the strap and that in turn caused that CP3 to fail/become weak. 

here is the line

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2015, 11:30:28 PM »
Wow that sucks for the aggregation and cost you have incurred.
Hard to believe something so simple can put the hurt locker on so hard.
At least it's fixed and you can have a clear conscience on sale day.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 15, 2015, 12:38:54 AM »
I would contact customer service at 4WP. Sounds like you have an issue that is fully documented and points to them.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 15, 2015, 09:51:41 AM »
that is true, but again that was 3 years ago that it was installed.......?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 15, 2015, 10:25:36 AM »
As a large corporation that I deal with on a regular basis I can tell you that their canned response will be, "that could have happened any time since the install and you can't prove we're to blame"... I would want to go after them too, but I can't see a win here. Sorry you had to deal w/ that but glad to hear she's up and killing it again.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 15, 2015, 09:19:52 PM »
I'll never do business with 4WP again.  The complete rear diff (eaton locker,, bearings, seals and gears) they installed in my old gasser lasted less than a year before the bearings failed
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 05, 2015, 03:42:32 AM »
I'll never do business with 4WP again.  The complete rear diff (eaton locker,, bearings, seals and gears) they installed in my old gasser lasted less than a year before the bearings failed

In 15 years of turning wrenches and selling parts I have yet to see a true bearing failure that wasn't installation error related. You're right to blame them. It amazes me what people try to get away with.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal