Hello Guest

Author Topic: Ol’ SARGE aka BIG RED thread  (Read 122671 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: The "Big Red" Thread
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2015, 08:17:40 PM »
the SME has spoken!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2015, 08:21:33 PM »
the SME has spoken!

Guess I'd better listen to him!

So a Cat?? A J-Deere?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2015, 02:09:13 PM »
I think like the rest, just glad it wasn't a write off like it was leaning towards. I can't see it yellow, just doesn't fit the picture for some reason. If you did it would have to have "TONKA" on it in big letters.

Got to be OD and maybe add a clam to that bucket?

Funny how we all like to play on these things. I worked on a ranch for a couple years and loved driving the farmall around or digging things up when not fixin them.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2015, 03:09:48 PM »
I think like the rest, just glad it wasn't a write off like it was leaning towards. I can't see it yellow, just doesn't fit the picture for some reason. If you did it would have to have "TONKA" on it in big letters.

Funny how we all like to play on these things. I worked on a ranch for a couple years and loved driving the farmall around or digging things up when not fixin them.

I agree

For some reason digging stuff up, cutting things down, riding on a tractor, and burning piles of stuff seems satisfying!  Must be a man thing

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2015, 09:14:21 PM »
Definitely a Man thing Big D.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2015, 09:32:08 PM »

I agree

For some reason digging stuff up, cutting things down, riding on a tractor, and burning piles of stuff seems satisfying!  Must be a man thing

My least favorite farm equipment memory is mowing w/ brush hog and having the PTO shaft come flying past my head when a weld (that I didn't do) broke!

Now why NOT paint it yellow and put Tonka on it?  Just like being kids again, everyone would want a turn!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2015, 02:57:47 PM »
the SME has spoken!

So a Cat?? A J-Deere?

Correct.  In my 12 years now of running and owning and repairing heavy equipment in the oilfield, we owned ONE kobelco trackhoe.  I put close to 2000 hours on that machine myself...  It got us by, but not something you want after its been broke in...  No power, a nightmare to get parts, and just plain ugly... 

Seriously, parts for that will be a nightmare.  At least JD or CAT will have store local, and most local parts stores carry, stock, or can order whatever you need.  Kobelco, not so much.  A lot of people will give you that look that the sled dog does when you make  sound he is not familiar with and turns his head sideways, perks up the ears, and looks at you like you have completely lost it...  Ya, that look....

We still run two old JD 120 trackhoes.  one has about 6k hours, other around 8k.  Not the stoutest, but they still crank every time you turn the key and do the job. 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2015, 03:13:39 PM »
the SME has spoken!

So a Cat?? A J-Deere?

Correct.  In my 12 years now of running and owning and repairing heavy equipment in the oilfield, we owned ONE kobelco trackhoe.  I put close to 2000 hours on that machine myself...  It got us by, but not something you want after its been broke in...  No power, a nightmare to get parts, and just plain ugly... 

Seriously, parts for that will be a nightmare.  At least JD or CAT will have store local, and most local parts stores carry, stock, or can order whatever you need.  Kobelco, not so much.  A lot of people will give you that look that the sled dog does when you make  sound he is not familiar with and turns his head sideways, perks up the ears, and looks at you like you have completely lost it...  Ya, that look....

We still run two old JD 120 trackhoes.  one has about 6k hours, other around 8k.  Not the stoutest, but they still crank every time you turn the key and do the job. 

OK Buddy, no Kobelco

Not that I was going to buy one, its only that the one in the pic is parked next to my Case
I was talking to my pastor this morning. He's a Texas boy. He asked me if I had a pond on the farm. I told him I had a small one but when Big Red got fixed, I'd make a big one.
Immediately he said, "Don't do it, you don't know anything about pond building!" He said just give him a couple weeks and he'd get a buddy of his near me to come dig me one for free, but don't I attempt to do it!

Funny!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
Careful, the EPA just loves to take over places or say no building when you have a nice pool of water.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2015, 05:42:04 PM »
Careful, the EPA just loves to take over places or say no building when you have a nice pool of water.
They are not on my invitation list!

We'll be G-T-G

Offline Drunksailor

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2015, 06:26:50 PM »

We'll be G-T-G

…But…but…we need the EPA…otherwise my taxes would decrease and i wouldn't have nice things like EGR and DPF… think of how efficient they could make the farm!
-Seth

“Anyone in any walk of life who is content with mediocrity is untrue to himself and to American tradition.”
― George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2015, 08:38:44 PM »

We'll be G-T-G

…But…but…we need the EPA…otherwise my taxes would decrease and i wouldn't have nice things like EGR and DPF… think of how efficient they could make the farm!
Shame on you!

Hey, BTW was hanging out with a buddy of mine, Chris today for awhile. He flew Navy C-130's for a long time. Was a Captain at retirement. I met him over at Comair where we flew regional jets together. Good guy, told him about you. He smiled, said he had been in and out of Hawaii a lot on his way back and forth across the pond

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2015, 08:40:39 PM »
Big Red update:

Larry now has the critical parts at the shop. Talking to him tonight, he was saying he will try and get the machine moved closer to the shop so I can get some air and electricity to it. When that happens, the grindin' and sandin will commence so I can change up the color scheme just a little (Big Grin)

Offline Drunksailor

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2015, 06:44:04 PM »
Shoot i was in washington for a few years before HI. Logged a few hundred miserable hours in the back of those beasts, if he has flown in the past ten years I've probably hitched a ride with him.
-Seth

“Anyone in any walk of life who is content with mediocrity is untrue to himself and to American tradition.”
― George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2015, 12:34:15 PM »
so whats the word in the last 2 wks?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2015, 06:33:49 PM »
so whats the word in the last 2 wks?
Nate,

Mumm is the word. I'm waiting for Larry to tow Big Red closer to the building so I can run a drop chord and air line out and get to sanding on it. As soon as he clears a space, it's tear down time again for the red monster

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2015, 09:10:32 PM »
Any update on red?
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2015, 09:41:18 PM »
Any update on red?
Nada
Still waiting on a spot in the shop...

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2015, 01:21:39 PM »
No shop space yet?
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2015, 03:20:16 PM »
No shop space yet?
Matt,

Seeing your post here, I called Larry to see what's shaking on Big Red

He has it done! Yup, said Richard put all the transmission parts back together and it's moving around just fine!

But

Now the transmission control valve is leaking. That is probably just a rubber O-ring and an easy fix which we could fix ricky tick

So Red's not dead!

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2015, 03:59:17 PM »
Great news. 
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2015, 04:52:13 PM »
Good news!

You may need that to install your bumper... 8)
Be nice to see Big Red doing some work on the farm for you.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2015, 07:33:09 PM »
Yea, definitely, will be nice to get to use it

I was surprised when Larry said it was done. I thought he was going to call me when he had it near the building so I could start the sanding to paint it, while he thought I was going to call him to move it!

Communication error, nothing more.

I guess Richard needs to dig in there and get some of those packings replaced in the transmission shifter housing to stop those leaks, but once it gets working again it should revive itself pdq

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2015, 07:45:27 PM »
lets be honest don.  what happened to big red is the same thing that happens to military equipment when it sits for to long.  I always made sure that at least once a week I got a road test dispatch and drove it real hard and made sure things got heated up to temp to ensure that I didn't have leaks and that my equipment was ready.  speaking of that, not once was any of my equipment down when it came to quals or live fires.

sounds like you need to get a road test dispatch for big red and work the rust off her and get her heated up so the seals can set and not leak..........?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2015, 08:40:08 PM »
lets be honest don.  what happened to big red is the same thing that happens to military equipment when it sits for to long.  I always made sure that at least once a week I got a road test dispatch and drove it real hard and made sure things got heated up to temp to ensure that I didn't have leaks and that my equipment was ready.  speaking of that, not once was any of my equipment down when it came to quals or live fires.

sounds like you need to get a road test dispatch for big red and work the rust off her and get her heated up so the seals can set and not leak..........?

You are very correct my friend

Sitting for nearly 2 years did not help anything

But getting it back in the dirt or mud will heal a lot of what is wrong with it and make it much better I think

Going over tomorrow to put a couple miles on it ;-)))

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2015, 10:59:22 PM »
Good idea. That Nate's a far* smeller...I mean smar* feller. :)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2015, 12:21:37 AM »
Oh boy, let the oil change begin!!!!!!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2015, 09:16:32 AM »
Oh boy, let the oil change begin!!!!!!!!

Got ahead of myself...Did the oil change and it's $10,000 attendant side jobs already.

She's ready to get scratched up, either by Kintucky briar patches or by my sander turning it OD Green

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2015, 09:20:51 AM »
Got ahead of myself...Did the oil change and it's $10,000 attendant side jobs already.

She's ready to get scratched up, either by Kintucky briar patches or by my sander turning it OD Green

I think you need a different color to break up the green. My opinion.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2015, 09:33:39 AM »

I think you need a different color to break up the green. My opinion.

Bobby,

I actually got to see about a half dozen of these machines painted win a camo cart paint combo and in Marine Corps green which is close to OD.

A local dealership scored 6 Case 1150E dozers from military sales and is reselling them. One had just 19 hours on it since overhaul and the "Oldest" machine had just 400 hours!

Anyway they were painted like I am wanting and looked good. The Army cammo painted one, admittedly, looked the best.

So I was sort of thinking of painting the D-Max truck OD green as well...

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2015, 09:58:27 AM »
Matching paint jobs to install the bumper.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2015, 09:59:17 AM »
You know, I posted in the wrong thread. Thought you were talking about painting the bumper you just built green. Just ignore the guy behind the computer..
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »
You know, I posted in the wrong thread. Thought you were talking about painting the bumper you just built green. Just ignore the guy behind the computer..
Get some sleep man...

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2015, 10:20:38 PM »
Get some sleep man...

Soon. Up early again tomorrow for another day of riding motorcycles for the Charity.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2015, 11:50:39 PM »
Went over today to check out big red

It is definitely moving on it's own authority!

Larry was good enough to have taken pics of the transmission when it was torn down and the shafts were swapped out. The used part they installed looked just great. Hopefully, that will be the end of issues with the trans in it.

All we have left to do is seal up a pesky hydraulic leak, then it gets trucked down to the farm to get working again

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2015, 12:00:14 AM »
Ash,
You aren't going to like this, but I was checking out a recent trade in there a series 200 Kebelco.

I did some homework. I didn't know the K's were built in the USA, whereas the cats and the case and many others are jap or Chinese or Korean or indian. A cat from yipan.

This is a local trade which was purchased here and traded here and professionally maintained.

It has a 6BT Cummins under the hood and is sitting there with just a bit over 8,000 hours. It is a bit loose, I found the bucket pins were missing bushings (Gone!) and the arm to stick bushings had some play, but other than that it was pretty solid.

Not new by any stretch of the imagination but it started right up with zero smoke. The propel pivit and the rest of the controls were all working well.

This is a bigger machine that that pretty Case CX160 I was looking at, but the asking price on this a 1999 SK200 is only $28,000!

That's a lot less for a bigger machine, THis one is up there, I want to say nearing 50,000 lbs and the horsepower is a bunch more as well.

Best thing I found was this one has a hydraulic thumb. I could snatch a cedar right out of the ground with it, or grab a oak log and carry it to a truck and load it right up with no worries.

Not as pretty, but what is?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2015, 12:00:45 AM »
Great news

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2015, 12:02:23 AM »
Check out this undercarriage. The grouser height is almost the same as a new track. And the sprockets are the same, almost new. Further, notice the idler wheel is barely pumped out at all. THis undercarriage will easily last me my life!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2015, 12:03:37 AM »
This is NOT a small machine. That bucket and arm dwarfs my son!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2015, 12:04:04 AM »
So does the 28k include your mech guy bringing everything up to specs or is that going to be extra on top of the 28k?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 12:05:18 AM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2015, 12:05:32 AM »
That bucket has a hydraulic coupler so if I ever score a larger material bucket, it will pop on and off ricky-tick

That's a big powerful thumb as well!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2015, 12:09:15 AM »
I'm liking it so far. I ran it for a while and grubbed around a bit. It had all the clanks and wobbles that a well used machine usually has, so if I buy it, it will be right at home next to BR

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2015, 12:12:51 AM »
So does the 28k include your mech guy bringing everything up to specs or is that going to be extra on top of the 28k?
That is their asking price nothing more
I would need the bucket bushings installed and new pins if necessary, A loose hydraulic line secured, have the whole thing pressure washed and steamed inside and out, engine oil and drive fluids changed, new hydraulic filters, and a new seat installed and finally recharge the AC.

I'll go talk to them Monday about all of that

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »
Larry just sent me some pics of Big red's transmission repair

This is the pesky part that broke

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2015, 10:05:50 AM »
The inside of that transmission sure looks clean for being 40 years old!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2015, 10:08:07 AM »
^^^ That's a whole lot of gearcase up there! I am wondering if it might have been rebuilt once...Does the factory paint the inside of the gearboxes? I've never seen it, but I paint the inside of the engines and some gearboxes I rebuild

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2015, 12:34:06 PM »
A bunch of steel in your last few posts.
Heck, even a couple pics of an old guy sleeping in a dozer, then sleeping in track hoe.:)

All kidding aside, Don, if you think Ash would not approve (and all of us know that he doesn't) of Mr Kobelco, then why take a chance? I was once told that a smart man listens to those that know more (...in their specific fields) than he.
Your money, obviously, and I would guess that thing has your name on it already........

You is pretty smart, maybe slightly handsome for a Kentuckian, but more stubborn than a pilot!!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 12:50:32 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2015, 12:52:32 PM »
A bunch of steel in your last few posts.
Heck, even a couple pics of an old guy sleeping in a dozer, then sleeping in track hoe.:)

All kidding aside, Don, if you think Ash would not approve (and all of us know that he doesn't) of Mr Kobelco, then why take a chance? I was once told that a smart man listens to those that know more (...in their specific fields) than he.
Your money, obviously, and I would guess that thing has your name on it already........

You is pretty smart, maybe slightly handsome for a Kentuckian, but more stubborn than a pilot!!

sorry about the edit ken, I hit the wrong button.

ken, we must not forget about the mandals that he is wearing and the photographic evidence of it/them/him doing so............... :o

the second thing is, its really hard to find anybody more stubborn than a pilot.......... ;D

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2015, 01:35:06 PM »
We gotta give slack on those "mandals" with all that sand in his driveway he was having a beach day!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2015, 01:57:29 PM »
don, I fixed one of your pics for you.

mike, we can not give leeway on mandals, flip flops would be acceptable. but at least he wasn't wearing socks with the mandals, so I guess we can cut him just a wee bit of slack.........?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 01:58:15 PM by nmeyer414 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal