TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Alternative Energy

Off grid cabin. Solar setup.

<< < (2/7) > >>

Sammconn:
I had test ran everything in the garage, was a bit of a hoakie setup, but wanted it all proven before it left home.

Sammconn:
I completed hooking the system up...

Here is the inverter output cable.
It is running to a 100A panel.

Charge connections made to the 12 volt bank.

Connected and turned on.

Panel input to charge controller.

Not a lot of load, as the generator was likely running and charging the bank.

The panel.

Sammconn:
Fast forward to this past weekend.
It was the perfect time to work on this again, for a few reasons.
The temperature was in the mid to high 30's, so the attic was good for splitting circuits.
I happened upon another set of batteries, ask me no questions, I tell you no lies... :cool:
We have a couple weekends left this winter to prove the system out before HH6 moves there for the summer.
And there wasn't anything else pressing.

I started by getting the batteries charged up on one of the 12 volt chargers I have. They took 25 amps for about 40 hours...
Like I said, happened upon them...

I prepped the jumper cables for joining them into a 24 volt bank.

The cable came with the inverter connection kit, I maybe could have found some, but as a kit it had everything I needed.

Set the bank on a boot tray for the time being. I'll need to build a much larger battery box this summer to hold all of them.

Installed the jumpers, and did a voltage check. at this point they had been off charge for a couple hours, and were holding. This was a factor that troubled me, as when I got them, best battery was at 2.35 volts.

Sammconn:
Then it was on to the inverter connections.

This little block, is a 200 amp fuse, part of the reason I opted to buy the install kit, I'd have never got anything like that for the money.

Inverter connections.

And all hooked up and tidied for now.

Sammconn:
Then it was into the attic.
Didn't take phone, so no pics, I just split the cabin into four separate circuits.

The benefit to running on a 2000 watt inverter generator, is you only have 13.3 continuous amps, and one big daisy chain is ok.
Now, with 3000 watts continuous, 25 amps is available, an not so good on 14/2.

To my surprise, within four feet of where I brought the four feed into the attic was the main splitter! That made for quick work of splitting it up.

Into the panel, the four new circuits are connected.

This little display was also an add on. Has all the info from the inverter, as well as a remote on/off switch. The power button, is just that, turn on, or off by pressing.

Here is the cabin load, this is the cell booster, satellite receiver, tv, and a few other little things. 1.24 amps is quite small.

Electronics and small load makes for horrible power factor!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version