Hello Guest

Author Topic: M923 Vs LMTV  (Read 7251 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
M923 Vs LMTV
« on: September 20, 2015, 06:57:12 PM »
Always looking and thinking about a decommissioned military vehicle.

At the place where I store my RV, there is a guy with what I believe to be a M923 (drop sides)

According to the owner:

Its a 1985 with 16,000 miles, 100 hours on the engine.  Completely rebuilt by the military in 2010.  Street legal and he is the second owner (the first was the Airforce).

I looked it over today.  It looks really clean with only a few leaks (more like weeping) Top looked new on the cab and rear.  Tires looked new.

He wants $14,800, which is about what I see LMTV going for at auction.  Many M923s sell for $10,000 so I'd have to understand what makes this one worth more.

So the question is: I've been looking at the LMTVs, which makes the better vehicle? The M923 or the LMTV? 

Which is easier to work on/get parts?
I assume the 1985 is an A1 and not an A2? and has the naturally aspirated 14 litre cummins??. Pros/Cons over the 8.3L turbo in the A2 versions?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: M923 Vs LMTV
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 08:23:13 PM »
...and the A2s have CTIS (central tire inflation). Even tho the non turbos are almost twice as big (14 Liters), the smaller one has more power, and better mileage. I get between 4 and 6mpg, I think the 8,3 gets about 8-10 from what I've read at SS forum.

14,800 is way overpriced IMO. A bunch (most?) of trucks that come from auction have had rebuilds...ask Nate, they had to keep them ready to role, even tho they knew they were going to be phased out.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:12:42 AM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 08:25:32 PM »
You have one?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 09:23:46 PM »
Mines an 83 M925. Not an A1 nor A2. It left the military before it got converted... does not have singles, and doesn't have abs

...difference between 923 and 925 is 925 has a winch.

I like the truck, but I would think the LMTV might be a bit more practical, efficient, etc. but have zero experience with them. I'm waiting for nate to chime in....he's around them every day.

The 5 ton is just plain BIG.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 11:46:31 PM »
I wouldn't mess with a M35A1. Go for the A2/A3 turbocharged ones. Much better in the power department I think.

Personally I'd go for an LMTV. Ft Campbell just had an auction of a slew of them. Most of them go for around 8K-9K. Not nearly as much as I thought. Sales for you out of Ft. Hood, TX they seem to be more expensive. Also Texas seems to have the "Van" models, whereas up here we only have the cargo models.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 07:12:35 AM »
I've been lurking on Iron Planet for auctions. What site have you been looking at for auction items?  Most of the ones I see are at Bragg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 07:13:37 AM »

Mines an 83 M925. Not an A1 nor A2. It left the military before it got converted... does not have singles, and doesn't have abs

...difference between 923 and 925 is 925 has a winch.

I like the truck, but I would think the LMTV might be a bit more practical, efficient, etc. but have zero experience with them. I'm waiting for nate to chime in....he's around them every day.

The 5 ton is just plain BIG.

Bobbing them seems popular. As does a quad cab conversion

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 08:34:06 AM »
I've been lurking on Iron Planet for auctions. What site have you been looking at for auction items?  Most of the ones I see are at Bragg

Iron Planet...

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 10:26:06 AM »
Yeah the bobbed ones look cool, I just don't have the will power....plus 4X4 doesn't sound/look as cool as 6X6....the rear articulation is unbeleivable for something so large.

Offline Nskaats

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 10:05:52 AM »
I don't have an experience with the LMTV, but I have an 86 M923A1 that I love.  I picked it up in June and I've put about 600 miles on it to and from the farm and on the trails.  I love the thing!  I've been doing a lot of reading on both the A1 and A2 trucks and I'm happy I ended up with the A1.  The A2s have a little more power and better mileage, but you have to pick what's most important to you.  I'm not using mine to tow 15,000 lbs and it's not exactly a daily driver, so the power of the 14 liter and the mileage are fine for my purposes.  I also appreciate the simplicity of the A1 over the A2.  Turning wrenches all day means I don't really want to have to do it on my pleasure vehicle.  Anything forced induction adds more possible failure points (not to mention more expensive ones) as does the CTIS.  Some may disagree, but I prefer the simplicity.  My 5 ton is for trouble-free fun, if I want to turn wrenches in my free time that's what the race cars are for.
Skaats Precision Motorsports
Owner and Tuner
859-415-0737
www.facebook.com/skaatsprecision

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 10:20:12 AM »
Nice truck bud. I'm glad you mentioned the "14L"...I corrected my post above.

.... wish mine came with the A1 package, especially the larger singles.

If you get time, can you post some pics over here....http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=86.msg817#msg817

I don't want that thread to be just about me and my ugly beast.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:20:56 AM by KensAuto »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 10:29:53 AM »
nice to hear from you again nick.  did you get some good info in those manuals I sent you?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nskaats

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 10:34:24 AM »
Yes, Nate!  Thank you!  Sorry I've been MIA.  I've been insanely busy lately with work and other projects, plus living a bit of our own personal hell at home for the last month.

Ken, I'll try to get some pics posted over there shortly.
Skaats Precision Motorsports
Owner and Tuner
859-415-0737
www.facebook.com/skaatsprecision

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 06:25:27 PM »
Cool truck

Down off of 25 near Piner, is a bobbed duce. I thought I saw it for sale. Looks cool

But me...I'm all in on the LMTV

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 08:30:46 PM »
Maybe I was dreaming, but did I already ask if the rumors about the LMTVs having electrical gremlins are true?

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 08:41:19 PM »
You did not sir.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 02:48:33 AM »
But me...I'm all in on the LMTV

Go old school.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 02:16:32 PM »
Maybe I was dreaming, but did I already ask if the rumors about the LMTVs having electrical gremlins are true?

I'm a little late to this party, but the LMTV/FMTVs due tend to have some gremlins. They're all computerized, and a laptop is pretty much required for maintenance (at least according to my Army mechanics). That said, if you have the right software, you can tune them up for power and adjust the governed speed. The only real issues we had with them were battery fires. If you live them parked for more than a few hours, you need to turn the master power/battery disconnect to off. It's located under the body, between the driver's door and rear wheel on the left side. I'd love to have one!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal