Hello Guest

Author Topic: cutting rafters  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
cutting rafters
« on: July 02, 2016, 11:26:03 AM »
so a buddy of mine is wanting to install an attic ladder. 

the opening is 22 3/8" wide. 

we found a ladder that says it will fit a 22.5" opening but it will only give about 19.5" of usable opening.

we found another ladder that says it will fit a 25.5" opening.

so my question is,

can I cut the rafters and scab another 2x4 on the outside of the 2 that I cut to make the opening big enough?  the main down piece coming from the peak will be about 9 inches from where I am wanting to cut, will this be an issue?  my whole worry is about the weight distribution / transfer or the lack there of when I cut a section out and scab another piece on the outside of the main rafter 2x4?

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: cutting rafters
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 12:33:29 PM »
You should be OK with just one rafter. Just be sure to support well using the others and box it well, use screws!

Here is a pic when I built my garage with a pull down. Beams were doubled up (16ctr) and the area was all boxed. Solid as a rock but not 2x4s either.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 12:39:27 PM »
The smaller one is too small for him?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 01:16:12 PM »
Thanks jr.

Ken, its not that its too small, its that it basically makes it completely unusable
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 02:53:21 PM »
Nate, you said rafter & JR is showing pics of trusses. I'm assuming that what your friend has is a combination of the two? If that is the case the bottom of the rafter acts as a truss to some extent but also holds the upper part of truss from spreading out at the base of the truss when load is applied to the roof. So in that case yes you can remove it but you will need to compensate for the lack of that bottom 2x4 somehow. Pics would help FYI.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 03:45:26 PM »
I was just showing the cut out for reff. Cutting off a section of a rafter should be about the same. Box it in, use screws and little strength if any will be lost.

Since they can probably be accessed from the top assuming there is a drywall cieling. Box it in, sister some longer 2x4 next to the opening. If you then screw down ply around the opening, you are golden!

Here is what I am referring too, does yours run the same?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 05:42:48 PM »
that works folks.  I am just waiting on him to refresh my memory on if they are 2x4's or 2x6's, there was a bunch of beverage consumption going on when I looked ................... :o
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 05:43:59 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 06:12:56 PM »
If it's this style, I wouldn't cut anything before going darn near full length with a sister....the roof weight (especially if it's tile) will push it down some as soon as you make the cut...maybe not much, but enough to possibly crack the drywall underneath if it's not near an internal wall (don't ask me how I know :( )

and like JR said..use screws!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 08:05:20 PM »
Kinda what I thought he had there Ken, which is why I asked.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal