Hello Guest

Author Topic: Buy/building home construction opinions and good ideas.  (Read 5142 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Buy/building home construction opinions and good ideas.
« on: June 12, 2016, 12:39:35 PM »
A long time ago I started a journal of things that I would like to put into my home when I have a chance to build my a home. The journal comes from a age old wisdom of "you had better write that down" so I bought a nice leather bound book and started writing.   As experienced before you always get there and forget what that "one idea" was and can't remember it when needed then the follow up of "o yeah that's what it was" way after the fact.

I know most of you have had to come across things like this in your life and my hope is we can all learn from this fountain of knowledge and share?

I will come back and start typing my ideas and the cause for the idea when I have a moment but please feel free to post your opinion and ideas

Please follow this example:

LED Can lights instead of light fixtures for exterior lighting.
One less hole in the exterior of the home for heat and cool air to escape and pests to get inside, one less thing to keep clean and looking nice, light bulbs are harder to shoot out in a can light.

WINDOW Shutters

Shutters have a place in the world for sure, I don't like when the shutter isn't actually useable when if it where to block a window it would only block a small portion. Again you are putting holes in the outside of your home for little to no purpose.  I veto window shutters mostly as A look issues but take it as you will

Mud Room

If you have ever lived in a home where you can sit down after 18 hours of work to take off your boots  you don't understand. But your kids need a place to dump stuff, most of us have lots of coats and things that come in from outside wet.   This is where this should be stored.

Laundry Room

Lots of machines have the pedestal bases, those can be built in and built to handle the vibration of the washer and so on.  Plus drawers that can be custom built to store all types of cleaning things.  If you have and prefer top load washers you can simply build cabinets above.  As far as a place to hang cloths. Dump dirty cloths in a hidden pull out drawer.
Also a good location to store and keep Go-bags or 72 hour kit.

Power outlets

In my current home there never seems to be enough in the right location.
Ladies want shelves to put decorations and stuff, those things sometimes require power.
Think where you want home security things add power.
Where do you want electronics plugged in? Charging stations for gps units or flashlights.  I prefer that stuff to be hidden from people's view.

Closet space.   

Pay close attention to build prints is there a place you can put a half closet. A place to store all the winter coats hanging out of view.

Hot/cold water

In the garage Weather you use a sink in the garage or just add some faucets is up to you. I recommend a large wash basin in the garage so you can clean hands, boots, tools, or even as an eye wash station if need be. Many things can be contained in a plugged sink also.

Insulation

This goes in many direction very quickly.  I suggest you insulate all exterior walls but also the walls inside the home. For instance your master bedroom can be insulated to aid in sound transfer, bathrooms for well you know why there, and also it provides a layer of fire protection depending on the insulation if I am not mistaken

Picture cubes

Many ladies like to hang photos. I like to not patch holes in the walls.  So if you build in specific locations to place photos you don't have holes to patch later. A other location that is popular to hang a photo is next a entryway by the front door.  It is also a very convenient spot for a stash gun or short shotty behind a large picture. So build a pocket and a hinged picture to cover said hole and you have a very non noticeable place to put a fast reaching protection device that is up away from most kids and if you don't tell them they will never know its there

Built in wall safe

Build a safe into the master bedroom wall. This way you have a safe spot to store the important documents, NOT HAnd GUNS and stuff.

Exterior Windows

There are lots of window options but a less expensive fix is to simply tint your household windows with window film.  You can get mirror for privacy or just simply black.  Either way it provides UV protection and doesn't cost a lot

Microwave oven!!

I hate this device.  It takes up valuable space on my counter.  It ugly no matter what you get and they are prone to damage and break all the time. I suggest you add a plug in a pantry and use it in there. That way you have space on the counter, you can buy the cheapo at the Walmart and hide it from the beautiful kitchen.  It also leaves room for a nice hood over the stove.

HV/AC

Another topic that can be really large I'll stay with simple basics. Two furnaces are better then one, simulate with the cold side.
Place a cold air return in every room.  You can't have to many but you can have to little.  Up high has its benefits as does down low. The more you have the quieter the system will run. 
Insulate all large runs if you have the $
Always run pipe under a cabinet don't just leave it open to heat or cool what's behind the closed cabinet door.
Have sufficient room in the service room to expand as needed.
Talk the hvac guy into building your plenum so you can slide your cooling coil out to clean.  ( yes it needs cleaned)
Pour a concrete pad to place the outside condenser on, foundation attachment it a bonus if possible.
Pre wire for everything

You might want power here or there, low voltage, speaker wire, you never know bet it's better to have it then want to instal it later.
Think multi power source also. Like s back up generator and solar grid or depending on your location wind is a very good source of power also water generators.  ( I have installed a spring water generator before. It pays well)

Floor Drain

Every year at least once I have a garage door that freezes to my floor from ice melting in the garage and the cold blowing outside. It can really damage the door when it's froze to the ground.  If I have a drain and a slope to allow water to run I would never have this issue.  I like the idea of a drain that runs across each door threshold so water in or out of the door has to pass the drain ( may not be so legal in some areas as the garage is a dirty water area)

Suspended slab garage

The cost to have suspended concrete is coming down a lot each year. The storage under a garage is great and you can make a even better movie room that is surrounded by concrete to keep the sound in.

Rough in basement

Even if budget is low run all plumbing before concrete goes in

Attic Storage

Install heavy duty plywood during framing process, it's hard to install after and makes a great storage place

Floor reinforcement

Gun safes can be very heavy plan according for framing in the floor. Think of a manner to bolt to the floor and to a back wall and frame for it

Garage floor:
Reference to the shed idea,
Mount a plate under/in your concrete in the garage to use as an attachment point for tools via the hitch mount plate from or even a foundation wall in the garage could use similar, mount a winch point, hold a trailer in the garage, attach other tools to the wall also
Pic for reference
Raising boys into RealMen!!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:31:49 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Buy/building home construction opinions and good ideas.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 02:24:21 PM »
Run sleeves under all concrete

You never know what you might want to run under it. Power, irrigation, etc

Hot Cold hose bibs

Because washing your car in the middle of winter is so much more pleasant with warm water.

Generator plug

Cheap to add when new, more expensive to retrofit. Just add it if building

Network closet with home runs

Run all your network, phone, coax to a central location, so you can easily configure your communications equipment. Need power, and telecom services. Preferably centrally located in the home, and somewhat concealed

Just a few ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 01:24:17 AM »
Added a bunch more to the first post if that sparks any more ideas

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 07:07:49 AM »
 Good stuff Dave!

Rough in basement bathroom plumbing - even if you can't finish the basement $ wise at construction, saves big on hassle of cutting holes etc. into concrete later!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 09:20:26 AM »
Put good flooring in attic for storage.  Hard to get full sheets of plywood up the fold up attic stairs.  For those of you who put xmas lights, put electrical outlets on the eaves of the house.  It's been said before but plan for wire runs to all areas and instead of just putting in today's flavor of wiring, plan for the fufure and use flexible conduit and boxes that comes with pull tape in it. Consider a hidden room with access behind a built in shelf unit or other means. Plan for a safe, including floor reinforcement. Reinforce exterior door jambs during construction.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 11:00:59 AM »
Tex.  How would you go about reinforcing the doors?
I always framed where the door jam was matched as tight as I could to door size so there wasn't a lot of space between the flimsy door case and the framing.   What do you mean?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 10:20:48 AM »
Recessed third car garage.

There is no reason to make this garage spot any shorter then the full width of the home yet so many do.   The financial cost to extend that in the plans is so much less then trying to build a shed.  And looks way better. 

Vertically sliding Windows

Young kids have a large potential to have the window slide down onto fingers.  Do no other reason then that. I don't like them

Kitchen cabinets

Often the cabinets and storage is very shallow.  It is available to get the counter depth longer which gives you more storage

Covered porches and exit points

Make sure there is enough roof coverage to block from wind blown snow and or rain, the front porch is a potential slip hazard for all and if it is designed well will save you from having to shovel the area where the stairs are

Walking out basements

The first thing is a door wide enough to be useful, double doors even. Second is the access to the basement wether is be a future rental, mother in law apartment, or just a access to a shop in the basement.  Keep the opening large and easy to get to.  Even use mine for a dolly and rock salt for the water softener

Home speakers

I like the intercom system still, saves me from yelling to the basement, but also allows you to play music in the home, but wire outside also for porch, garage, back deck area.

Carpet vs. tile vs. hardwood

Carpet. It's nice for walking on and kids but is the shortest life span
Tile is hard and durable and will look great for the duration of the home
Hardwood is beautiful but has similar issues with durability. 
Please add your thoughts on the above^^^^^ below

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 08:46:43 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 10:39:16 AM »
Dave, I mean installing a steel plate with opening for the bolt from the lock between the framing and jamb 1/8 thick steel with long screws to framing. Then when installing the pruhung door your steel plate takes all the abuse of someone trying to kick it in.  Ideally you have a steel entry door as well because a wooden door just shatters where the lock mechanism is.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 10:39:51 AM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 01:33:50 PM »
I see.   

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 02:24:49 PM »
I like this idea Dave. I agree with what others have said on running elec, cables (conduit etc.) so it can be changed as technology changes.

I also think a good mud room is a huge benefit. Get that dirt off in a single place BEFORE it gets tracked through the house. A sink in there (or the garage) would be a benefit too. I like good liquid hand soap (with some grit) in a wall mounted pump dispenser for cleaning hands thoroughly and also not making a mess around the sink.

I am fan of second floor laundry so you don't have to tote laundry up and down stairs. Just have to have the safety tubs etc in place correctly for the "oh *bleep*" moment when the washer overflows.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 02:49:40 PM »
That's a true story about overflow drains.  I neighbor just had the washer ruin the second, main, and down the ceiling in the basement because the water dumped through and the kids didn't catch it for two cycles

Most washers use about five gallons of water in a single small load.  Add the extra rinse and its a big mess.   Drain pan for the washer with a floor drain to drain into is a absolute must. 

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 12:02:29 AM »
My plan was always to have my food pantry accessible from both the kitchen and the garage.  Park your vehicle and unload directly into the back of the pantry.  Keeps the older stuff pushed to the front to be used and eliminates carrying bags into the house, except frozen and cold items.  That could be done with grocery store style refrigeration units but is likely cost prohibitive.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 07:58:31 AM »
I like that idea. Requires a lot of planning. You reminded me about my
First house that had that set up. Pantry wasn't very big though.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 12:29:55 AM »
I can see How that would be pretty easy to do actually.  Just do a cupboard wall in the garage that you open and push stuff through.   I like it

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 10:02:09 PM »
Small gripe as I have been looking at homes,

Closet lighting.
Wether it's a small closet in the kids bedroom or the kitchen pantry.
Add a simple pull string light at a minimum. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 10:15:43 PM »
My builder put those switches in that turn the light on when you open the door. Very cool. As long as the kids close the door.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 10:50:47 PM »
My builder put those switches in that turn the light on when you open the door. Very cool. As long as the kids close the door.

Lights on a motion sensor timer work well, places like laundry, large pantries or storage rooms in basement etc & of course any room the kiddos visit.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 10:54:41 PM »
All are good.  My fathers used to turn that light on in his closet in the morning so not to disturb momma from that sleep in the bed.  Not direct light so it was still useful but not enough to Brighten the whole room.  Useful light I think

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 11:07:14 PM »
Due to my recent communication with yet another home builder.  I would like to bump this thread on the topic of building

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 05:36:46 AM »
I like putting 7/16” osb or plywood on before installing 4’X8’ hardi soffit on porches. This reinforces the porch ceiling. Many porches have access to the attic. A thief can take a small hammer or even just his hands and be in most attics in no time as the hardi is very easy to get through. Once in the attic he can drop into most rooms, right through the sheetrock, without motion detectors. He has also bypassed alarm sensors on windows and doors. Even bypassed glass break sensors.
This task does not make the surface too thick for can lights either.

Add lots of attic lights. You will appreciate being able to see and if a light goes out while working, the others will allow you to see well enough to get out. Plus it is just hard to work in an attic in awkward positions that are poorly lit.

Ditch tilt sash windows with plastic/vinyl latch pieces. Had one break in where the thief melted the window tilt sash catch with a map gas torch. The small unit that is used to solder copper. He did this from the outside through the glass. Tilted window in quietly and was in the house.

Ditch french doors or rework the fixed side security pins. The regular use side can be pushed in on the top knob corner and bottom knob corner then a screwdriver is used to pull the catches from their slots and the door opens with the lock still locked. Pins must be added inside where flexing the door can not allow a screwdriver to reach them.

Hidden compartments in cabinets.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 10:13:18 AM by Jared Herzog »

OldKooT

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »
My wife finds the availability of compressed air to be very handy for certain tasks in the home. Pre plumbing a few lines into possible use areas minimizes needed hose lengths/clutter.

Built in Christmas lights... has to be better than a ladder and prayer LoL

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 12:37:13 PM »
My wife finds the availability of compressed air to be very handy for certain tasks in the home. Pre plumbing a few lines into possible use areas minimizes needed hose lengths/clutter.

Built in Christmas lights... has to be better than a ladder and prayer LoL

How would you go about built in Christmas lights that don’t stick out like a sore thumb during the summer or even excess weather exposure from leaving them out all year?

I have seen some rope light stuff that might be able to be hid under the eaves or in the soffit area. Color changing ability would allow to stick in a holiday for the month type of range.

Jacob thank you for the picture of the steel plate you use around the door hardware.  I was looking at manufacturing a plate that enclosed the latch and the strike plate area on three sides of the 2x4.  Still thinking on how to

OldKooT

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 01:09:55 PM »
I was thinking of using small LED Spa/hot-tub/pool lights permanently mounted to the gutters. You could use multi color lights which would afford you to light up your home like a Hot tub.... lights that dance to a Christmas beat, change colors LoL  Think of the possibilities.

Mount them so the UV won't get them and the wiring. 12V so they are cheap to run *kinda*  I think it's a sound idea that will be the envy of the neighborhood. 

I like this idea so much I think I may use it myself..

If I lived in town I'd especially in-cooperate this with my front lawn rock garden machine gun nest idea. But out here, these things are not near as amusing.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 06:42:58 PM »
At the very least, some outlets under the eaves. Currently trying to convince my brother to do that on his new house.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2017, 08:47:18 PM »
At the very least, some outlets under the eaves. Currently trying to convince my brother to do that on his new house.
That is sound advice.  We use the power plugs for our heat tape to keep away ice damns and for powering cameras. 

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 11:21:04 PM »
My house has those
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »

We are having this done and they are switched as well.  Along with LED soffit lights at each corner. 
Exodus 14:14

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 05:23:39 PM »

We are having this done and they are switched as well.  Along with LED soffit lights at each corner.
This was my plan as well. One side of the plug switched other side constant power

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal