Hello Guest

Author Topic: Lake Meade  (Read 551 times)

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Lake Meade
« on: July 26, 2022, 01:10:23 PM »
For those not monitoring the situation there, Lake Meade is drying up.

It is currently at only 27% capacity. Why is that important? Well first of all Las Vegas gets its water from the lake and from aquifers fed by the lake. The hoover dam apportions water to several states who use it for all sorts of things, but mostly agriculture. The dwindling supply will soon cause desert-borne farms to stop production. That will lead to less to no production which will decrease the food supply. That will drive up food prices dramatically. With less food, we will suffer a loss of abundance and our exports will shrink. That means countries on the bottom of the food pyramid will get less and less and that will lead to disease, die-offs, and conflict.

The lake reached its maximum level in 1983 and has been losing water every year since. It will soon no longer be able to sustain the 20 million people it supports...20,000,000 people.

We are in for some very hard times as a result, particularly in the western states that need that water. The actual shoreline of lake Meade is receding an unbelievable 50 to 100 feet a year!!! That means the opposing shorelines are getting some 200 feet closer together each year. The LAs Vegas serving a Marina is moved weekly into deeper water, and the new boating ramps are lengthened weekly as well. It is all quite amazing to see and watch.

Lake Meade is not the only place that is seeing record drought. The Euphrates River in Iraq is nearly dried up as well. Tens of millions are about to lose their source of water, and that will certainly not lead to more peaceful times.

The Midwest is undergoing a much opposite transition. It is seeing more rain. While water levels receded in Nevada, record flooding is occurring in Missouri. New weather patterns driven by the climatic weather change is turning the Mississippi and Ohio valleys into lush green forests while the west wilts under an epic drought.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 04:52:46 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lake Meade
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 04:54:19 PM »
The bureau of land management has given Arizona and Nevada 60 days to come up with an emergency plan to live with less water, or the dam will be shut off and the states will have to just deal with the results. Mexico City, of some 22 million will also be affected...Can anyone say war between the US and Mexico???
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 04:57:35 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 01:52:55 PM »
I for one do not believe there is that much less water coming in. Anyone with $$ will get their share, or some so called endangered species. I would say the well being of the US and its people is above any animal.

Plus, how you going to charge that tesla? Calling for brownouts because they can't get enough "green" power (mandated in Kali) and look what happened to Tx jumping on green!!

There are 6 dams getting removed up near Klamath, all for the fish.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 03:37:26 PM »
You would think that taking out a dam would be bad for other fish, but I’m not an environmental hydro enthusiast.   Sounds like species discrimination to me.  FLM - fish lives matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 04:30:50 PM »
But ours matter more,,,,,,,,,,,

Hydro power is cheap like Nuclear, but thats another discussion.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 05:33:29 PM »
I remember reading that book in the 80's...Si-fi that took place partially in Las Vegas, a ghost town. In the story, it had been the first modern city to be abandoned.

JR, I think there is less snow/snow melt making it downhill into that once beautiful lake. I could be wrong...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 10:13:21 PM »
Plenty of snow and rain if they save it.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal