Hello Guest

Author Topic: Chainsaw safety equipment  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Chainsaw safety equipment
« on: May 01, 2021, 11:27:25 PM »
I am in need of some chainsaw safety equipment, IE....chaps, helmet, etc

I am looking for some tried and true actual safety equipment recommendations.

What i am looking for is a helmet recommendation that can withstand a chainsaw kickback and i can still be standing along with some chaps to protect my lower extremities.?!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chainsaw safety equipment
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 11:33:44 PM »
Meh. Shorts and flip flops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Chainsaw safety equipment
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 11:37:04 PM »
Seriously. If you aren’t running a pro chain and using the tip of the saw incorrectly you should be fine.  I use a Husqvarna hard hat ear muffs combo but no chaps or other equipment.  Pro chains allow for more aggressive cutting but I’ve never felt the need for it and I run my saw quite a bit. Use common sense and you’ll be fine. 

If you want THE source go to Bailey’s online.

https://www.baileysonline.com/chainsaws/chainsaws/farm-ranch-chainsaws.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi5mP0Yyq8AIVYQJ9Ch0MZwDGEAAYASAAEgLA7_D_BwE

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 11:54:02 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 01:08:43 AM »
Nate, if you feel better get a set of chaps and some hearing protection. I have chaps but rarely wear them. They do work if that oh crap moment ever happens. If you have good hearing now, wear the muffs so you keep what you have.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 02:04:26 AM »
Chaps get stupid hot to me
And I usually run no helmet, I think like Charles says your bar length and chain type have a lot to do with it.   Steel toe boots are a must as I have a terrible habit of moving stuff with my boots and then cutting it while holding it.

Some good wedge blocks, a good set of files, and a small hatchet for along ways also

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 10:49:38 AM »
I have chaps, and use muffs all the time to keep what hearing I have left.

I wear my chaps when clearing willows and underbrush as a result of a smack I took several years back.

Normal cutting I don’t wear them.

I’ll leave this here for why I wear them in the thick crap...

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 11:08:01 AM »

I wear my chaps when clearing willows and underbrush as a result of a smack I took several years back.

That looks like a good learning lesson for sure,   

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 12:05:51 PM »

i think i remember you posting this?  didnt this happen around the time that your dog had her acl surgery?

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 12:24:56 PM »
Was quite a few years ago.
May very well have been just before the first one on the hound yep.

Chaps would have stopped this one.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 01:29:06 PM »
I’ve never worn chaps or helmet, helmet is a good idea as is hearing protection. I’ve cut timber on our own land a lot, heated homes with wood in the past. Biggest thing is to know your surroundings and have a spotter not running a saw who knows what to watch for on larger trees. When needed tie things off, plan ahead for worst case. In all those years I only had one close call with a maple that barber chaired on me. Very scary but I walked away with saw intact. Read I didn’t get crushed which would have happened had I not reacted quick enough.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 06:21:42 PM »
The guys I watch on utube seem to favor Husky gear. Even tho I tend to go rogue, I won't give anyone crap for chaps, etc. considering how dangerous timber work can be, or how fast a chainsaw can get away from you.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 10:49:07 PM »
That stihl helmet/visor combo is pretty nice. Duane had one before his house burned down. I used it, worked fine. Face shield is a steel mesh affair. I try and wear heavy jeans and combat boots, which at the end of the day wouldn't make much difference at all. Anyone ever nicked by a saw (Me, Samm, Son's friend) will tell you all the damage is already done before you even realize it!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Mrwoody

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2021, 11:40:32 PM »
Did This last year.  was lucky, could've turned out bad.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 08:42:55 AM »
I wear chaps just about anytime I am running the saw.  My uncle runs a logging business in the winter time.  My dad, bother and a couple cousin's help him pretty regularly.  I live a bit further away and don't help as much.  Haven't had an incident my self but have seen my share of chaps come back torn up.  Probably wouldn't have been real bad (lost limb) but still not fun.  Cutting the tree down usually isn't the issue, limbing and cleanup after it's on the ground can be. I normally don't wear a helmet of mask.  I don't think anybody else does either. Admittedly I think we have all had close calls where a branch just appeared out of the air and nearly fallen on top of one of us. We all wear ear pro.  All of us have grown up on the farm, have some sort of hearing loss as a result and take steps to avoid further damage.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 09:20:01 AM »
And for anyone not aware, the traditional kevlar chaps do not work with electric chain saws. The torque from the electric motor can still tear through the chaps where a gas engine would bog down and die.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 10:04:06 AM »
Interesting.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 10:36:26 AM »
And for anyone not aware, the traditional kevlar chaps do not work with electric chain saws. The torque from the electric motor can still tear through the chaps where a gas engine would bog down and die.

Stihl has some that are made with some sort of cut retardant material.

https://m.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/chain-saw-protective-apparel/wrapchap/

Heres a video where a guy hit those chaps with a battery powered chainsaw. 

https://youtu.be/kelAHD6AYII

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 11:15:48 AM »
10 years apart to the day, Dad went all the way to the bone on his left calf and then shortened the tendons on his left wrist. if you like full mobility I would suggest good gear. he was certified forest svc, trained and was not drinking or otherwise impaired, just hit bad knots with a moderately sharp saw.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal