Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1327433 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #5550 on: January 18, 2018, 09:30:01 PM »
Maybe something shorter? Or something more along the lines of .... hey this is what this forum is about(covered in dons intro) this is what we do, and we feel you would make a great addition to our forum.

Something with more words than I cans putz together in a row with a spin of an invitation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: January 18, 2018, 09:33:26 PM »
MAYBE......Head over to this link and check us out. Would be glad to have you join us.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: January 18, 2018, 10:09:13 PM »

Sent. See what comes of it

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: January 18, 2018, 10:28:16 PM »
Well today was an interesting day.

So this is the time of year we do our annual employee evaluations.  Some of you know that I lead a team of 44 people and recently let go of my senior right hand guy who was leading a large part of my team.  What that means is that instead of performing evaluations on my 11 direct reports I know have 23 direct reports until I hire a replacement for that leadership position.  (good news is that my candidate for the open position accepted my offer today and will resign tomorrow)

So today I had 9 one hour meetings with team members discussing performance reviews and no break for lunch.  I find it amazing how obtuse some people can be and how completely unopen to constructive feedback people can be.  Theres not a one of them that walked into my office that makes less than 6 figures and yet they completely dismiss feedback, not just from me, but anonymously from their peers as well.

I find consistently that the higher performers and highest income earners are those that can accept feedback and learn from it, change and grow.  Others, probably need to find a new home.....

Now I get to catch my breath and do it all over again tomorrow.....and monday....and tuesday.....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: January 18, 2018, 10:42:47 PM »
I don't envy you Charles. That's probably why I only have a single employee and a business I'm not willing to grow.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #5555 on: January 18, 2018, 10:55:30 PM »
Tex not at your same level of course but the small team I have been imparted to Teach my Jedi ways is who I lead
Today I had to provide some simple advise.   
Me: you can’t measure .001- .002 while holding the two parts together in your hand.  You need to secure it with hardware than measure.
Them: I have done this before and it’s not a problem.
Me: I am not here to tell you about your past experience I am telling you about the future. In order to get the correct measurements you need to use hardware like your instructions tell you and you are to follow.
Them: well it’s never been a problem.
Me: I has been a problem and will be a further problem, when you freeze aluminum to -50c things will restrict enough that it will not move unless you have proper spacing.

At which point my political correct tank is about empty, I shock my head and walked away.

At their desk five min later
Me: on sheet .... it says you are to use hardware please do as instructed.
Them: well, we have a meeting and we can argue about it later
Them: I am not here to argue I am here to tell you how it will happen. Six years of experience and management tell me this is my role. Not chosen by me. But instructed to do so. If you don’t listen you won’t learn and you will fail.

I walked away to my manger who called a meeting and now we as leadership get to read a book about managing millennials

Any books you have come across?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:44:30 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: January 19, 2018, 05:54:28 AM »
Wow Dave.  That’s just pure insubordination. Hard to fix stupid. I haven’t got a lot of Millennials but try this book. “Not Everyone Gets a Trophy” it’s gives some insight into their thought process and motivation.

I’m sure at your company it’s bureaucratic as well but when you want to manage someone out it usually takes way too much effort and time because of all the documentation. I’ve always been successful helping them understand that they aren’t going to make it and need to leave on their own.  It’s so difficult that it really makes you want to get better at hiring the right people in the first place. 

Thanks for allowing me the cathartic rant last night.  9 hours of coaching and I lose most of my emotional intelligence. I mostly have a great team. It’s the 20% that drive you nuts.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: January 19, 2018, 06:39:54 AM »
Heck I just work with my brother. We can argue and yell at each other and an hour later we are back to normal. Drives our boss insane when we do that. But hes an only child. He doesn't understand siblings fighting is different.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: January 19, 2018, 06:42:42 AM »
Rants are required from time to time as long as your people being ranted to understand rant not complaint.

From a manufacturing standpoint it can be hard to get perfect people to hire, but you definitely know when you hired a Ace vs a good employee vs the later. I am all for teaching people, trying to help everyone improve. I would rather have some help than non I guess

Good luck in your meetings today !

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: January 19, 2018, 06:47:06 AM »
Thanks Dave,  not used to working until 5 on Fridays.  I'm usually squirting out to get to the weekend place about 2.   I'll be mentally checked out about then....

But hey, the bright side I get to do it all over again Monday and Tuesday.......

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: January 19, 2018, 06:58:49 AM »
Ha ha. I get to go design tooling with an a coworker who needs me to run the end mill because he is with out the know how.  :) few hours there than off to a funeral.   

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: January 19, 2018, 07:59:14 AM »
Wow Dave.  That’s just pure insubordination. Hard to fix stupid. I haven’t got a lot of Millennials but try this book. “Not Everyone Gets a Trophy” it’s gives some insight into their thought process and motivation.

I’m sure at your company it’s bureaucratic as well but when you want to manage someone out it usually takes way too much effort and time because of all the documentation. I’ve always been successful helping them understand that they aren’t going to make it and need to leave on their own.  It’s so difficult that it really makes you want to get better at hiring the right people in the first place. 

Thanks for allowing me the cathartic rant last night.  9 hours of coaching and I lose most of my emotional intelligence. I mostly have a great team. It’s the 20% that drive you nuts.

I was told early in my leadership career in the Army that a leader spends 90% of his time on 10% of his men.  It has been proven not just in the Army but civilian life as well.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: January 19, 2018, 08:07:12 AM »
TRN... I don't envy you doing that many focal point reviews at the same time. I have 15 direct reports but I do anniversary date reviews so it is spread out. November I have 5 which always seems a lot. Others in the company are pushing focal point review because it ties in with bonus / incentive periods which make sense but I have resisted so far.

Part of my crew are younger desktop support millennial's. My tired statements to them is normally "no matter how great of a job you do while here, if you don't show up for work (call in sick) you can't do even a terrible job".

I did attend a seminar on the differences in managing each age group. The sad fact is with unemployment under 4% and needing people we have to change our motivation / management techniques to get the most out of them. They aren't going to change too much. More daily interfacing with them and less of a hands off approach.
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: January 19, 2018, 09:06:22 AM »
My favorite quote to employees. “If I spend more time getting you to do your job than you do actually performing it how do you think that is going to turn out?” 

Normally that results in nothing replied and me walking away without another word spoken.

HR the department that produces no income for the company but yet aspires to constantly gain authority and drain a company of profits. I’m sure I just pissed off some HR person.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: January 19, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »
Theres not a one of them that walked into my office that makes less than 6 figures and yet they completely dismiss feedback, not just from me, but anonymously from their peers as well.

Pay me 6 figures and you can yell at me all you want. I've been yelled at before and made a lot less lol.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5565 on: January 19, 2018, 06:12:55 PM »
After reading all of these posts, I realized that I’m Manager material!  Sounds like giving students feedback, grades & suggestions for improvement!  I then laugh when they graduate and enter your world (brat voice from Simpson’s) ....Aaah hAa!

Guess that’s why we like Bourbon now isn’t it!

Today I junked up a thread following Shawn’s lead and then sat back with this before my daughters BB game!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:13:33 PM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: January 19, 2018, 06:29:41 PM »
Today I contemplated going to work for Charles just so I could see what it's like to watch bureaucracy in action. Then Dave's story sounded much more enticing as I could feel the urge to slap someone through the computer screen. Now I'm just thirsty for some makers. 
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: January 19, 2018, 07:02:18 PM »
Is that the plan tonight? Toast to our future and that we can learn to train the next generation?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: January 19, 2018, 07:58:45 PM »
Yep, time for a drink. Maybe to the shutdown that will kill people and destroy the country.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: January 19, 2018, 08:13:42 PM »
Don do we have a introduction to this forum or maybe a something fancy to send to someone that would be a good fit for this group? Sort of a request invitation ?

Dave,

Explain...not trackin'...

Edit: Dave, read further on...

Trackin' now.

No need for me to write anything more, although if you want me to scratch out something, I will.

I think what you did is better! Its always the personal touch that moves people, and you just took time to invite a brother. He will see:
Dave took time
He knows me well enough to suggest I join this group of men
He is offering friendship
He is some kind of bonehead
Err, sorry, that was my thought
OK, better...Yea, David, I think you dun gud!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:23:02 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: January 19, 2018, 08:19:30 PM »

So this is the time of year we do our annual employee evaluations.  Some of you know that I lead a team of 44 people and recently let go of my senior right hand guy who was leading a large part of my team.  What that means is that instead of performing evaluations on my 11 direct reports I know have 23 direct reports until I hire a replacement for that leadership position.  (good news is that my candidate for the open position accepted my offer today and will resign tomorrow)

So today I had 9 one hour meetings with team members discussing performance reviews and no break for lunch.  I find it amazing how obtuse some people can be and how completely unopen to constructive feedback people can be.  Theres not a one of them that walked into my office that makes less than 6 figures and yet they completely dismiss feedback, not just from me, but anonymously from their peers as well.

I find consistently that the higher performers and highest income earners are those that can accept feedback and learn from it, change and grow.  Others, probably need to find a new home.....

Now I get to catch my breath and do it all over again tomorrow.....and monday....and tuesday.....

Have you considered suicide?

(Don't!)

Or maybe just hurting yourself some?

Mind numbing...I don't miss that senior leadership stuff one little bit!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: January 20, 2018, 02:00:16 AM »

Have you considered suicide?

(Don't!)

Or maybe just hurting yourself some?

Mind numbing...I don't miss that senior leadership stuff one little bit!

He already mangled a finger last weekend, does that count?

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: January 20, 2018, 03:44:11 AM »
His thumb? That is just normal when working. Well, maybe a tad more.

Picked up new upper ball joints for the Dmax today. Got the better ones vs the moogs that seem to wear out in 2 years or so. Got new therms too. Can't find the others right now and need some heat in the cab.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: January 20, 2018, 08:39:50 AM »
His thumb? That is just normal when working. Well, maybe a tad more.

Picked up new upper ball joints for the Dmax today. Got the better ones vs the moogs that seem to wear out in 2 years or so. Got new therms too. Can't find the others right now and need some heat in the cab.
Pick up a winter grill cover , they keep the heat in

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 05:10:54 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: January 20, 2018, 09:32:14 AM »
What brand of joints did you get Jr?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: January 20, 2018, 10:17:47 AM »

You talking from the dispensary or parts store?  :grin:

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: January 20, 2018, 10:53:04 AM »

You talking from the dispensary or parts store?  :grin:

Valid question for ol Ken...... :tongue:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: January 20, 2018, 12:08:29 PM »
And all that is why I will not accept a mangement possition. I did my time in mangement in the Air Force. Had to sit down and teach a 19 year old kid how to keep track of a check book because he was looking at getting kick out because he would always overdraft his check book. Best thing anyone told me was my E9 telling me that I was not political correct to make E9 :cool:

Now all I have to do is keep track of myself !!!!

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: January 20, 2018, 12:20:59 PM »
So far today helped daughter #2 on sponser letters for a 5K run that supports a scholarship in her brothers name (5th year for his memorial run) this afternoon we are going to the PBR for daughter #2 to speak about her brother before the begining.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:32:44 PM by oklawall »

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: January 20, 2018, 01:38:35 PM »
TRYING TO TALK MYSELF OUT OF BUYING ANOTHER DMAX. CASHING OUT EXCURSION FOR A PROFIT AND BUYING AN 06 CREW WITH 180K FOR NEXT TO NOTHIN. MY WIFE ISNT THRILLED BUT SHE UNDERSTANDS THE SICKNESS. DEALERSHIP LIFE DOESNT HELP. IVE ALWAYS TAKEN ANY OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE QUICK CASH IN REGARDS TO ANYTHING WITH A MOTOR. WITH AS MUCH AS WERE SPENDING ON THE KITCHEN/HOUSE RIGHT NOW. 7-8K IN MY POCKET SOUNDS BETTER.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5580 on: January 20, 2018, 02:16:37 PM »
Daughter and youngest boy are at a music assembly at the HS.

Dropped off oldest boy for a trip to Lassen for snow camping.

Got the Napa brand on both. Iv'e known the guy at the local napa for 25 years and he said they were better than moog and just a few $$ more.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: January 20, 2018, 04:33:25 PM »
Just back from the regional wrestling meet

Pre Ranger will not be going to state.

But it was his very first year wrestling, third year playing Football, and he fought like a real warrior out there. Darned proud of him! He finished having won a tad less than 50% of his matches.

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: January 20, 2018, 05:05:29 PM »
Don, having worked the mat myself, going to state the first year is no big deal. Takes a long while to get the moves down, it is not all about who is strongest.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: January 20, 2018, 05:14:30 PM »
Went and walked the lot we put an offer in on, the daylight makes it look a good bit smaller than it looks on paper, now for the financing junk to be completed.

Met with the cabinet guy and I am super happy with his build process and quality of work he puts out.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: January 20, 2018, 10:20:20 PM »
Well I got the truck for pulling the camper. I guess in the camping world they call it a HDT. I will probably start a build thread but all the hard work is done. I just need a flat bed, install a 5th wheel, put a bench seat in the sleeper and electric brake controller. I have a bed off a doully pickup. That will do for now. Temporarily perminant.

Its an 03 Freightliner 435 hp 60 series detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: January 20, 2018, 11:26:44 PM »
I like that. Needs more black

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: January 20, 2018, 11:46:09 PM »
Looks like a pretty clean truck .

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: January 21, 2018, 06:28:55 AM »
Does look clean.  I had considered that when we had our fiver.  Some of the places I would go would not have fit a HDT conversion.

I have seen where that blank space behind the sleeper had been fitted with a ramp and space for a smart car, or golf cart or motorcycles.  Not that you need another project....

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: January 21, 2018, 08:01:50 AM »
It will limit the parks we can go to but it will be safer over all. The duramax is fine around here on flat land. But it didn't like the hills in Kentucky. Id hate to see how it handled the rocky mountains. We want to go west sometime.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: January 21, 2018, 11:11:01 AM »
Your making me have flashbacks jon to when i was teaching idiots how to operater those......those freightshakers were the exact models we used... :facepalm:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: January 21, 2018, 11:22:03 AM »
It will limit the parks we can go to but it will be safer over all. The duramax is fine around here on flat land. But it didn't like the hills in Kentucky. Id hate to see how it handled the rocky mountains. We want to go west sometime.
How big is your trailer?  The roads here steep but your truck won’t have a problem for going up, coming down is a little more fun.   Just take it easy and you’ll be find

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: January 21, 2018, 02:46:18 PM »
JR, are those Raybestos ? I've read about those before somewhere, being better than moog.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: January 21, 2018, 03:33:41 PM »
How big is your trailer?  The roads here steep but your truck won’t have a problem for going up, coming down is a little more fun.   Just take it easy and you’ll be find

Its only 33 ft but this leaves room upgrades.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: January 21, 2018, 03:47:42 PM »
JR, are those Raybestos ? I've read about those before somewhere, being better than moog.

Quick search showed a few unhappy costumers with everything, but said these were rabestos.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: January 21, 2018, 06:20:08 PM »
 Played with our recently acquired Insta pot. Now have a slightly use crockpot for sale! For those that don’t know, an Insta pot is a high tech version of a pressure cooker combined with a crockpot.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5595 on: January 21, 2018, 06:21:36 PM »
 Pork butt roast sliced thin with potatoes, carrots, mushrooms & soy sauce gravy!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: January 21, 2018, 07:13:33 PM »
We will need to see a build thread on that really big/long dually!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: January 21, 2018, 09:27:00 PM »
Sat on the couch and made a 3D solidworks model of a machinist Vblock for a class.  Anybody on here play with solidworks of similar?

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: January 22, 2018, 01:18:33 PM »
Blizzard started this morning. Lost power for a while. We were able to get cattle fed and get the generator set up.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: January 22, 2018, 02:40:41 PM »
Sat on the couch and made a 3D solidworks model of a machinist Vblock for a class.  Anybody on here play with solidworks of similar?

I have a little solidworks experience but most of my work is in CREO/ Pro-Engineer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal