Hello Guest

Author Topic: Happy wife construction projects  (Read 3943 times)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Happy wife construction projects
« on: March 30, 2016, 05:45:05 PM »
So we're on our 9th anniversary today, and have decided that our gift to each other is to update the house. Built in 2004, the hardiplank siding is holding up just fine, but is looking pretty dated. She wants to add some stained cedar shake to the dormers and some faux rock siding on the face of the house. this stuff is what we're looking at http://www.fauxpanels.com/regency-stone/styles-stacked-stone.php?color=32. by the time we're done, it will look a little more like Kyle's new place, styling wise. I'll be staining the porch and pillars to match the cedar shake. I'm a little early posting, as we haven't even decided on material sources, or colors, but I wanted to throw it out there to see if there are any veterans here that can guide/warn me of what I'm in for. I've done stuff like this before, but never dealt with hardiplank, and removing sections of it has me admittedly nervous. I don't want to re-do something for no reason.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 07:59:36 PM by nmeyer414 »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Happy wife construction projects
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 05:59:19 PM »
So we're on our 9th anniversary today, and have decided that our gift to each other is to update the house. Built in 2004, the hardiplank siding is holding up just fine, but is looking pretty dated. She wants to add some stained cedar shake to the dormers and some faux rock siding on the face of the house. this stuff is what we're looking at http://www.fauxpanels.com/regency-stone/styles-stacked-stone.php?color=32. by the time we're done, it will look a little more like Kyle's new place, styling wise. I'll be staining the porch and pillars to match the cedar shake. I'm a little early posting, as we haven't even decided on material sources, or colors, but I wanted to throw it out there to see if there are any veterans here that can guide/warn me of what I'm in for. I've done stuff like this before, but never dealt with hardiplank, and removing sections of it has me admittedly nervous. I don't want to re-do something for no reason.

Sounds like a fun project!

From talking with friends who have worked with hardi also, buy the specialty blade. And be careful, as it's brittle and will crack off easily. And if you're nailing with a gun, do a few tests to set your depth so you don't just blast right through the plank (like you can with 2x's) and fracture off the hardi... But it sounds like you're removing hardi, rather than adding... if i get what you're sayin
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:00:55 PM by nmeyer414 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 08:01:12 PM »
Fixed the link for yah tater
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 06:53:19 AM »
Wear a respirator when cutting hardi.  I re-sided my lake house years ago.

Nail guns should have a depth control when applying hardy correctly.  ( i didn't and didn't have a problem, but "some say") The nails should be flush not recessed.  Some nail only the top edge so that the fastners are hidden. I'm not a fan.  Too flimsy. You can grab the bottom edge and bow it out when done that way.  If you are hanging it solo the hard part is holding the other end.  I made a little aluminum S clip that slips over the top of the lower course and allows you to sit the lower edge of the next course on it to hold it.  Go nail the other end, come back, remove clip nail end.  Work the rest of the board.

Lick and stick, as the facade stone is called, is easy to work with.  Just pay careful attention to water intrusion protection and suggest adding tyvek if not already on that section.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 09:34:54 AM »
Great feedback guys, thank you. I'll be removing sections of the hardi to install the façade, adding tyvek under the façade and also including a drip edge, sill, whatever it's called in stone above the rock panels. With WA weather, I don't want any water issues so there will be plenty of caulk involved. checking out colors and patterns of stone this weekend.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 10:23:52 AM »
More than anything on that stuff, common sense will guide you. You're a smart dude. Think like water and you'll be fine. The drip edge is a good call, functional and looks good.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 10:50:57 AM »
Your place, Blaine's, all inspiring, and we have a brand new house finishing up exterior trim work next door to us. I don't feel like our place looks dated now, but once this place is done it will look almost out of place if we don't update it. My Dad's a pretty solid all around construction type fella and he learnt me gud, so we should be fine. I just appreciate the wealth of knowledge here for insider tips etc. and this is my only form of "social media" that I participate in, so share away I shall.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 11:06:55 AM »
Looking forward to seeing pics and updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Life Member

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 11:23:55 AM »
Hey sounds like a great project! Good luck with it. I bet it will look great.

Are you doing shakes or shingles? And not being a smart a** when I ask that- here (so it could be different than your neck of the woods) "shakes" are the rougher cut planks of cedar and usually have much more varied thickness and widths between them while "shingles" are much more similar in size and shape to each other. Very different looks between them. I like both just that they are different- a shake covered building has a rougher more varied almost haphazard look to it while a shingle covered place is more "defined" or "precise" for lack of a better description.

When I was roofing houses (I never did cedar- only asphalt, rubber etc) I had a guy tell me that the waterproofing on a shake roof was provided by the layers of felt and the shakes were basically there to protect the felt from sun damage. Dunno if that's true but it seemed to make sense- with the varied shapes/sizes of the thicker shakes, water could get between/around them. But the felt was put on in overlapping layers so if water did penetrate the shakes it would find the felt and roll back out on top of the next course of shakes. 

Oh....and just don't ever paint it!  ;) Stain it every few years and it will look great!  Paint requires scraping and on the rough surface of shakes its a nightmare!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 12:52:12 PM »
Shingles is more accurate. This is not my place, but something along these lines is what we're shooting for.

This is my place. The Maple is gone now, and we're looking at doing the stone paneling on either side an in between the garage doors from the top of the doors down. I want the shingles at the dormer above the main window and above the porch. we already have natural wood soffit up there, and I would take the cedar stain up the columns to the porch roof.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 01:11:46 PM by EL TATE »

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 03:55:58 PM »
Gotcha. I like the looks of that. Details like that can add a lot to a property. Good luck with it!

Just don't set up one of those Chinamen ladder scenarios with ladders on rolling scaffolding to reach the peak! haha.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 04:35:43 PM »
Tate, just had an idea... not sure if it'll work with your budget, but a garage pergola would look killer on there, and tie in with your cedar accents.

Something similar to this, but obviously stylized however you'd like.
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 04:42:11 PM »
I like the idea a lot, and on the right hand side of the house I was planning a cedar fence with a gate and pergola over the gate, so that would match up nice. I already made her a flagstone walkway from the front to the back patio and firepit. good contribution, thank you.
Gotcha. I like the looks of that. Details like that can add a lot to a property. Good luck with it!

Just don't set up one of those Chinamen ladder scenarios with ladders on rolling scaffolding to reach the peak! haha.

Dad's a painter/maintenance guy w/ all the correct equipment, we'll be safer than a union job!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 06:51:52 PM »
I like that look as well. It breaks up a rather large, somewhat plain surface.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 07:52:51 PM »
http://www.shakertown.com/cedar-products/craftsman-cedar-shingle-panel/
http://www.realcedar.com/siding/profiles/shingle-panels/

You are probably already ahead of this, but consider panels instead of individual shingles.

Also the advice to think like water is solid.  Caulk is no excuse for proper engineering and application. water does not flow up so use physics in your favor.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 05:03:38 PM »
Those look like great references, thanks Charles. Planning is still in full swing while budget is under review. I'll update when there's news.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 08:17:19 PM »
Tate, water doesn't run uphill too well but it sure will run sideways before dropping down to earth. Chased water more than once because of it running sideways instead of allowing gravity to pull it down.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal