Hello Guest

Author Topic: Home made cistern  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Home made cistern
« on: April 28, 2016, 08:30:55 AM »
I am looking at water containment and storage tanks for the hide. I want to have several, in case one or more are compromised. Cost is always a factor, as I am doing this all as cheaply as possible so that it might all be affordably duplicated by folks here.

So I was over at TSC (Tractor Supply Company) looking at plastic tanks. The 1050 gallon tank I think I could use for the shed was a reasonable $799, but that is still a bit spendy. The gentleman helping me asked what was it for. After an explanation, he said his buddy is doing what I am doing and built this tank from culvert pipe. He gave me a reference, and well, here I am:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/build-a-cistern-out-of-corrugated-road-culvert/
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Home made cistern
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 11:57:53 AM »
Great design, bookmarked that site.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 01:32:46 PM »
That's pretty nifty.
I'm trying to figure out an easy water supply for the soon to arrive greenhouse at the cabin. Not that the lake isn't an ample supply, having rainwater close by would be nice.
This may be an option for me to consider.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 03:44:31 PM »
I like that and sure it could be setup where it is not all above ground, but not buried eother. 1/3 the price is good to boot.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 05:19:59 PM »
Very cool....and even better price. Is this for drinking water (assuming you will treat it after) or for garden, livestock etc.? Will it collect rainfall only or will you pump it to the cistern and then gravity feed it elsewhere?

Thanks for the link! 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 05:21:36 PM »
I was thinking of a sem
I like that and sure it could be setup where it is not all above ground, but not buried eother. 1/3 the price is good to boot.
I was thinking of a submersible design myself

Was out and about seeing if I could find any culvert pipe.

THe one shown was 60" ID. The pipe comes in diameters all the way out to 96"

A 8' diameter tank some 8 feet tall of which we'll use 7 feet would equal 351 cubic feet

Area = py R2
Area = 3.14 (4)2
Area = 3.14 (16)
Area = 50.24 square feet
Volume = area X height
Volume = 50.24 X 7 = 351.68 cu ft.
1 Cu. Ft. = 7 gallons
351.68 X 7 = 2461.76 gallons

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 05:24:33 PM »
Very cool....and even better price. Is this for drinking water (assuming you will treat it after) or for garden, livestock etc.? Will it collect rainfall only or will you pump it to the cistern and then gravity feed it elsewhere?

Thanks for the link! 
If I do it, it will collect rain water from the roof. Perhaps more than one roof.

I'll hook it to a device which flushes the first 30 seconds of rainfall then routes it to a filter tank, and from there into the collection tank

I'll use it for whatever and supplement with trucked in water if the need arises.
I will push the water in the tank through a filter prior to use in the shed/cabin.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 05:37:23 PM »
Why not build a filter from rock/sand/gravel and filter it all. Heck a good 5 gallon bucket would do that

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 08:56:36 PM »
Why not build a filter from rock/sand/gravel and filter it all. Heck a good 5 gallon bucket would do that
Almost exactly what I am going to do, except all two different sizes of gravel and a layer of charcoal

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 02:45:44 AM »
With all that storage and your ground water, a small solar pump would keep it topped off in the dry months.

Best filters in the world, by mother nature!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 07:46:14 AM »
With all that storage and your ground water, a small solar pump would keep it topped off in the dry months.

Best filters in the world, by mother nature!
I'm for sure looking at the run from the pond up to the house

About a 1/4 mile and I'd say 75' rise in elevation.

Future plans call for a number of ponds and a lake just down the hill. Lake will be 50-75 feet deep I'm thinking so an excellent source of water for the entire farm.

Today's project is to build a water buffalo...Should have an article by night fall...

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 09:21:24 AM »
Today's project is to build a water buffalo...Should have an article by night fall...

Check craigslist and etc. Up by me there is a deuce and a half that a local fire department converted into a water carrier. Has a large hard plastic water tank on the back. I don't know how many gallons, as it's parked off the highway and I never think about backtracking and check it out. Anyway, the truck is for sale, but you might FIND a water buffalo for sale, for cheap maybe.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flatlander

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 06:53:43 PM »
1 Cubic foot of water is closer to 7.48 gallons. So my math, and a few more decimal places, calculates to 2,632.096 gallons.
That's 173.336 gallons Mo H2O !

I like when math errors in my favor(or yours in this case) Anyway, that's a lot of water storage!

FL
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 06:55:54 PM by Flatlander »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 09:27:40 PM »
I stand collected!

You never know how much is enough, but remember, she wants that d!%)@$!! swimming pool, so that's extree waters as well...Get it...As well...!

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 05:36:27 PM »
Nice,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

OldKooT

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 08:05:19 AM »
Interesting concepts. I wonder if the galvanizing used on a culvert would be a cause for concern? Not an issue unless used for drinking water I suppose. I think the absolute cheapest solution is a plastic or cement septic tank. Used they are usually free LoL

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 01:32:16 PM »
Interesting concepts. I wonder if the galvanizing used on a culvert would be a cause for concern? Not an issue unless used for drinking water I suppose. I think the absolute cheapest solution is a plastic or cement septic tank. Used they are usually free LoL

You sound like Duane

He thinks I should just purchase a big plastic or fiberglass tank, dig a hole and plop it down in there...Maybe he's right.

He points out that by the time I get a concrete truck back in there and likely a pump as well, and pay for all the gravel and associated stuff, I might be further ahead just buying a pre-made tank.

I like the prospect of building my own tank, but thinking about it, time is not on my side. I mean, I need to finish the second floor, wire the place, insulate it, throw something on the wall of the shed and drag that wood stove inside. ANd that's just the shed

I want to build that tower to allow for communications, solar panels and a decent sized wind mill. On that note, What I am reading says the bottom of the blades need to be 30 feet above the highest obstacle within 300 feet!

That means that tower will need to be almost 60 feet high to mount a mill capable of 1.5-2.0 KW (15-20 foot rotor diameter) So the tower alone is going to be a little bit of work, and if I skimp there, then the windmill will not be very effective.

Maybe a big 2,500-3,000 gal water tank is the right answer.

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 01:59:33 PM »
They do make aluminum culverts....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 02:36:52 PM »
Look at all the long term issues with Galv pipe right now in homes. I like the plastic or alum idea. Dig a hole and bury it.

I think a couple of 500 wind mills would be better. I mean you will have solar during the day, even when cloudy they do work some.

2 mills would be cheaper, easier to mount without the huge structure, even on the side of a building or poll. They are however the least eff of all free power sources.

I would do a few K in solar, 1 k in wind and figure a small water wheel in there too. The water wheel can run a 1-200 watt alternator easy or just get a generator for it.

Then 1-2 forklift batteries. With care they last 15-20 years.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 02:54:26 PM »
They do make aluminum culverts....

...and thick plastic ones as well. The good part about having the water above ground, is that you have gravity.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal