Hello Guest

Author Topic: cost associated with owning a home  (Read 3758 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
cost associated with owning a home
« on: August 12, 2015, 06:21:46 PM »
I learned this thing called peri menopause. I put a window unit in the master bedroom of our weekend house. Keep the central on 72 and then run the bedroom down to 63. She thinks I'm a hero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: cost associated with owning a home
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 07:03:15 PM »
Ya know what.....I'm steering clear of this MEN-OH-PAUSE discussion entirely.  ::)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 11:14:06 PM »
I learned this thing called peri menopause. I put a window unit in the master bedroom of our weekend house. Keep the central on 72 and then run the bedroom down to 63. She thinks I'm a hero

This made me laugh. I just received a 500.00 power bill and it's for the same reason. After being outside all day, 75* even feels cold to me.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 11:16:52 PM »
$500???  Ken, you are getting off easy my friend.  We are in the $600s here.  That whole de-regulation thing is a joke in Texas.  What are you paying per kWh?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

OldKooT

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 06:58:38 AM »
We are at 8.14 per kWh at the moment...the house bill usually runs about $230 ish this time of year. And I complain regularly LoL

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »
Dunno tex. Might remember to look after this "vacation "....but I know if my house was 72 it would top 600.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 06:27:42 PM »
damn, my thermostat stay put at 70, I have single pane windows that leak, 1900sqft and my house was built in 1960 and my electric bill only tops at $230 during summer months and drops as low as $65 in the winter
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 06:31:56 PM »
Well then I suppose I shouldn't complain about the $70 energy bill I get when I SPARINGLY run my AC. And during the winter the bill is about $20ish on average.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:45:19 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 06:44:05 PM »
My home is 5320 sq ft that is heated and cooled. It has 9'-10' ceilings in the basement and 1st floor, a great room which is almost 20' tall, and 8' ceilings in the top floor (Big volume space)

My summertime bills run around $200, my winter bills are $550-$750 (Terrible!)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 06:46:14 PM »
My home is 5320 sq ft

My apt is about 1,000 sq ft +/- a 100 ft.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 06:56:40 PM »
Almost big enough to need a woman in there.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 10:16:46 PM »
ROFL!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 12:21:51 AM »

Dang! What do you use to heat? Electric or gas?

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 08:12:31 AM »

Dang! What do you use to heat? Electric or gas?

Heat pump.
Below a certain temp it's efficiency tanks. Somewhere around freezing I want to say. Then it's straight to electrical heating grids ah-suckin' up the electricity.

This year I believe I am going to install a wood burning stove into the duct work.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 09:34:05 AM »
Heat pump would have been my guess. Yeah trying to find a way to augment with cheaper fuel sounds like a good idea

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 10:47:38 AM »
No natural gas/propane alternative?  I'd expect you to go with some sort of radiant floor heat - easy to retro install with exposed rafters which your basement appears to have unless finished already.  It's nice, even heat from floor to ceiling and by running the fan of the forced air portion of the heat pump, would circulate it throughout the house.  You could also put it down over the concrete basement floor- cool snap together wood grids for the water tubing that becomes sub floor then.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 09:57:44 PM »
No natural gas/propane alternative?  I'd expect you to go with some sort of radiant floor heat - easy to retro install with exposed rafters which your basement appears to have unless finished already.  It's nice, even heat from floor to ceiling and by running the fan of the forced air portion of the heat pump, would circulate it throughout the house.  You could also put it down over the concrete basement floor- cool snap together wood grids for the water tubing that becomes sub floor then.
Basement is way finished. Only the 25 X 25 shop area, and the storage room, and well, the mechanical room have the exposed joists.
I am either going to retrofit one of those outdoor wood burning deals or just add in a wood burner and do some duct work. Probably add that cruiser into the wood shop downstairs

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 12:54:30 PM »
We had a wood burner ducted into my childhood home. built in '63, partially finished daylight basement, (read built into a hillside w/ sub-ground level windows but fully exposed garage). a simple iron box with an external box of empty air space and an electric fan that pumped the hot air out of the box into the ducting of the existing electric furnace. we ran mostly the old cedar shake roofing that had been saved from 3 total roof jobs over the house's lifespan, and could maintain 80deg downstairs 70+ upstairs in the coldest months, and it was a hungry sucker.

That being said, I'm on propane out in rural WA, and on a flat rate $50.00 monthly program. winter months can spike up to $700-800 with summer electric is billed on a 60 day cycle and runs $130ish, but we're looking into some solar panels in the next few years so that will offset nicely. propane is great, but I'm looking into a good old cast iron stove for the basement. open up the heater vents and let the hot air rise. This in case of electrical failure which my propane furnace is dependent on. I have a generator, but gas runs out and I have about 400 acres of "simple" fuel surrounding me.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal