Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1327185 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #13700 on: December 03, 2020, 03:52:03 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #13701 on: December 03, 2020, 03:55:19 PM »
Trying out Adams polish single step with their microfiber pad.   It does a resent quick job.   Good results considering I’m used to three stepping and then hand polish after

The Dewalt orbital has a decent configuration, I wish the high Rpm (5000) was actually what is says it is.   I can’t tell or hear any speed difference from 4000-5500 rpm on the dial

But it has an much less vibration compared To other units I have used in that price range,   The Rupes is smooth as glass but $400 ish

Mirror

And some trim

« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 09:24:05 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13702 on: December 04, 2020, 07:33:41 AM »
Our whole Scout troop is a total cluster right now. The den leader is getting divorced. Her husband and his friend are Webelos leaders with me. They aren't talking. Nobody can get a hold of her. We are holding hundreds of dollars in Popcorn money that needs to be turned into the council. We have talked to other leaders and nobody knows what to do. Jen went over her head and emailed the our guy from the council that the pack goes through. I cant think of why his title is right now.  Waiting for reply from him. Now she feels bad going over her head but what else can we do. No meetings in over a month and A half. I am taking it upon myself to keep the Webelos going. My son, my nephew and one other kid.

Now I got myself in he position to take over the boy scout troop next year. A year from this coming February when Zane officially crosses over. I am to be slowly be taking over through the year but not officially until then. I talked to Nick the leader over there. He is just overwhelmed. With work and covid and kids cant sow up and quarantine they haven't had any meetings either. I was supposed to be introduced to the kids a long time ago already. Its frustrating. I think we finally have an event this Sunday. A day hike.

I'm not going to focus on the den leader and her mess right now. I have to look forward. Get my Webelos work done and move on. But Jasper being a lion is currently in limbo. I have a feeling we will have to do his things at home too. I dont want him getting behind either. His leader was the den mother. Who knows what is going to happen here.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13703 on: December 04, 2020, 08:06:15 AM »
I take that back Jasper has a good leader. Wolf's are the ones left without.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13704 on: December 04, 2020, 08:17:31 AM »
Sounds messy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13705 on: December 04, 2020, 08:42:40 AM »
Sounds messy.

Yeah it does.

I'm still hung up on the female being the den leader part. ... don't remember it being like that back in the day.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13706 on: December 04, 2020, 09:22:56 AM »
Negative Nancy, I want more details on how you straightened it. I know how I straighten them.....

And I thought you bent that on a test drive in the desert?  :tongue:
What you want to know? Only reason I used the forklift is it was easier to jig up, albeit harder to do with everything laying down including the 20 ton jack.
Cut some 1/4" thick pipe in half for sleeves to keep from bending the tube, while using a rosebud.

Once the new axle slipped in easily, I clamped 6' long angle aluminum to both of the flanges... thinking the driver's side was ok. Then kept bending til those were perfectly perpendicular to each other at all degrees. Easy peasy.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13707 on: December 04, 2020, 10:00:04 AM »
Sounds messy.

Yeah it does.

I'm still hung up on the female being the den leader part. ... don't remember it being like that back in the day.

From my memory it's always been the female leader for the cub scouts Ken. once they transition to boy scouts the dads take over.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13708 on: December 04, 2020, 10:40:31 AM »
We always had cub moms.   

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13709 on: December 04, 2020, 11:48:52 AM »
Although I am an ASM, the whole thing has turned me off lately.

Zoom meetings ( neverworks) girls in boy scouts, camps canceled, . even my boys hate zoom.

I believe the cub Scout troop folded and we are down to 20 scouts. Now we have a great leader, but we have clashed a little to.

In reno having breakfast then over to Kubota for my quick change.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13710 on: December 04, 2020, 12:11:48 PM »
Finished the stupid Jetta this AM

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13711 on: December 04, 2020, 01:14:58 PM »
Sounds messy.

Yeah it does.

When I was in cub scouts we had a den mother. She was really good. She organized everything and then the dads jumped in for outings and campouts. When I got into boy scouts they frowned on female leaders but my mom got really involvedBoys. Wasn't a leader though.  I guess I don't know what her title was but she went to a bunch of meetings with the council.  She had a yellow uniform shirt.
 Remember we are a small town in a  rural area. Most of these farm wives are more manly than the city boys.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13712 on: December 04, 2020, 06:57:22 PM »
Well I don’t remember much about Boy Scouts.  I remember the balsa wood racer but as soon as it got in the way of baseball I was out.  I played year round when select and winter leagues were almost non existent (think 1970-80s) so there wasn’t time for anything else but school and B ball.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13713 on: December 04, 2020, 08:22:15 PM »
Sounds messy.

Yeah it does.

When I was in cub scouts we had a den mother. She was really good. She organized everything and then the dads jumped in for outings and campouts. When I got into boy scouts they frowned on female leaders but my mom got really involvedBoys. Wasn't a leader though.  I guess I don't know what her title was but she went to a bunch of meetings with the council.  She had a yellow uniform shirt.
 Remember we are a small town in a  rural area. Most of these farm wives are more manly than the city boys.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13714 on: December 04, 2020, 08:24:46 PM »
Negative Nancy, I want more details on how you straightened it. I know how I straighten them.....

And I thought you bent that on a test drive in the desert?  :tongue:
What you want to know? Only reason I used the forklift is it was easier to jig up, albeit harder to do with everything laying down including the 20 ton jack.
Cut some 1/4" thick pipe in half for sleeves to keep from bending the tube, while using a rosebud.

Once the new axle slipped in easily, I clamped 6' long angle aluminum to both of the flanges... thinking the driver's side was ok. Then kept bending til those were perfectly perpendicular to each other at all degrees. Easy peasy.

Copy, I have a large I beam I use for thin wall tubes. Thick wall I just put alignment bar in housing and use a torch and welder.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13715 on: December 06, 2020, 07:20:44 PM »
Well today instead of waking up at the lake we are still in town. I have a trail now that is solid and well semi smooth. There is still wet near it as we found out but hauled big boxes.
One had two new entry doors and five extra sheets plywood. Other had a new to us sofa with recliners and the new to me 20 ton press.
Not sure where it’s going to stay but it’s at the lake for now. Didn’t stop for action shots as I still don’t trust the ice weighing a couple tons.

The two boxes are all the lumber for the gazebo Reno in the spring. That sleigh weighs about 400 pounds empty. It’s a terrible thing to pull but has a 4 x 8 deck and is tough as heck.

Winches, ice and physics today.

We then busted trail to one of the other cabins. Good people. The man of the house had a mini stroke last winter and isn’t the same. They can use all the help we can give. Now at least they can get there safely and the three feet of snow will be packed.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13716 on: December 06, 2020, 09:02:00 PM »
I almost got the lights finished.  I have 1/2 of the front pirch left and ill call it good for the year.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13717 on: December 06, 2020, 09:39:31 PM »
I framed more walls in the basement, decided I’m going to slowly finish that area off over next two years. I’ll add another bathroom, bedroom and large rec area with small kitchenette.

I’m now currently out of 2x4’s and am not buying anymore for a couple months. Hoping they come down in price a little.......

Need to buy some drywall and a solid core 36” door for my work room in the basement next.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13718 on: December 06, 2020, 10:23:01 PM »
Shawn look into metal framing.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13719 on: December 06, 2020, 10:36:43 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 08:12:42 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13720 on: December 06, 2020, 10:38:28 PM »
Shawn look into metal framing.

I have, and it’s feasible and probably less overall. Your electrical costs do go up considerably though when using metal studs. So that’s something that needs looked at when you’re considering metal too.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13721 on: December 06, 2020, 10:47:34 PM »
Worked on cleaning the garage a little more.

Put up some solar lights at the ridge. Like em and getting a couple more.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13722 on: December 06, 2020, 11:15:36 PM »
Deleted, gave the stuff to Sam.  Didn’t need to drama it was causing
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 08:12:05 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13723 on: December 06, 2020, 11:55:01 PM »
We then busted trail to one of the other cabins. Good people. The man of the house had a mini stroke last winter and isn’t the same. They can use all the help we can give. Now at least they can get there safely and the three feet of snow will be packed.

Such a nice thing for you to do Sam. God bless
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 12:06:18 AM by Nate »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13724 on: December 07, 2020, 09:01:15 AM »
^^
     ^^
          ^^
    Spirited menses, all!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13725 on: December 07, 2020, 09:09:53 AM »
...Still recoverin'

From the game Friday night

Our varsity team was in the divisional playoffs, one more game away from the kentucky state championship!

And this mud wrestling event replaced a normal football game and handed us a stunning defeat.

I will say, though that these boys from eastern KY were outstanding. Their half back is rated #1 in Kentucky and it sure showed.

42-6 the final score, and it took us all the way until deep in the forth with 10 seconds on the clock we put six on the board in an all our effort.

Such fine men, all! I congratulate them on a well played and hard fought season!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13726 on: December 07, 2020, 09:36:27 AM »
Can you even call that a football field?  Holly smokes that’s a lot of mud

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13727 on: December 07, 2020, 10:22:32 AM »
Kid looks like he was in it to win it!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13728 on: December 07, 2020, 04:56:45 PM »
Good thing Don didn’t have to drive across that. Would have gotten stuck for sure.

Losing teaches lessons too.

Good pickup Dave. Might want to dial back the oiler a bit

Shawn help me understand the increased electrical costs in reference to metal framing?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13729 on: December 07, 2020, 07:41:32 PM »
Charles, running the wire takes quite a bit more than just some staples is the short of it. My neighbor and good friend is an electrician. He had quoted a basement job here recently (quoted wood studs). They changed it out for metal due to cost. Even with his fudge factor in the wood quote it doesn’t come close to covering the components needed to finish it with metal studs. It was considerably more per him, this was a conversation we had just last week. I know enough I’m not going to go that route. I’ll hang tight and hope for a drop in wood price. I’m not in a hurry and if need be I’ll just pay more for wood.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13730 on: December 07, 2020, 08:08:57 PM »
Shawn I might be wrong but I don’t think you run standard Romex in metal studs. Doesn’t that mean metal boxes also?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13731 on: December 07, 2020, 08:34:30 PM »
Shawn I might be wrong but I don’t think you run standard Romex in metal studs. Doesn’t that mean metal boxes also?

Guys, not sure. Just know Curt wasn’t making up the extra cost which was substantial compared to wood setup. Do your homework, it may still be less than wood overall. I’m just not wanting to mess with it.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13732 on: December 07, 2020, 08:46:14 PM »
Finished for the season!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13733 on: December 07, 2020, 08:49:16 PM »
Looks really nice. You and Wendy have a wonderful home!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13734 on: December 07, 2020, 08:59:34 PM »
Looks really nice. You and Wendy have a wonderful home!

Thank you

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13735 on: December 08, 2020, 12:00:06 AM »

Nothing in the house valuable enough to go any farther into that window and the fire was close. Backed out and asked a bunch of good dudes from another crew to hit it from the other side of the house. I’ve been off work and not working out for so long I was also 100% gassed.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13736 on: December 08, 2020, 12:46:22 AM »
Excuse me. Who’s house?

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13737 on: December 08, 2020, 06:06:58 AM »
looks awesome Nate

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13738 on: December 08, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »
Excuse me. Who’s house?

If you’re talking about my post I have no clue and by nothing valuable I meant no people. We’d already been through it once to search though.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13739 on: December 08, 2020, 09:50:19 AM »
Finished for the season!
That’s beautiful

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13740 on: December 08, 2020, 10:56:38 AM »
Excuse me. Who’s house?

If you’re talking about my post I have no clue and by nothing valuable I meant no people. We’d already been through it once to search though.

Sorry I was first thinking it was your home and became concerned.   We have had one fire already in the group. No desire for a second home to go up

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13741 on: December 08, 2020, 08:05:53 PM »
Should be working on cars but sometimes just don't feel like it.
Had to lengthen this rafter from 36 to 39 feet, then welded it in for the last section of roof.... for now.

Might have to wait a bit to purchase purlins and r panel but at least the hard part is done.... and I already gave my brother's manlift back for the project he's working on.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13742 on: December 08, 2020, 08:55:41 PM »
Technically yesterday, our middle daughter Shelby was accepted into honors college at NAU along with this comes potentially more money in the form of a grant which she applied. She is also my daughter graduating a year early from high school.

My youngest now has decided she will do the same, graduating a full year early. So literally all three graduating early and in 3 consecutive years, seems crazy. So guess we have to visit flagstaff now in the near future as the youngest is interested in following her potentially.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13743 on: December 08, 2020, 10:38:46 PM »
NAU? Cool. Beautiful town, albeit skyhigh property prices do to wealthy libs buying up the forest.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13744 on: December 08, 2020, 10:54:08 PM »
NAU? Cool. Beautiful town, albeit skyhigh property prices do to wealthy libs buying up the forest.

Yeah, beautiful place. They offered her the largest scholarship which is why she initially accepted. Then she applied for honors and was accepted so looks pretty good for her atm.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13745 on: December 08, 2020, 11:35:41 PM »
I will second this. Even when it’s blizzarding :)

Congrats to her getting accepted, and for raising superb daughters.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13746 on: December 09, 2020, 09:16:26 AM »

And I second the congratulations on successfully raising good kids

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13747 on: December 10, 2020, 06:01:43 AM »
Took the camper in to get the fridge checked out. Hit Walmart after. Came out to huge puddle of antifreeze under the freightliner. Looks like I'm getting a head gasket for Christmas. I called the shop I usually use. Just off the top oh his head he's saying 6 grand but will look it up to be sure. Recommend a new head because they like to crack. Add another grand. Most of the cost is labor. Book calls for over 50 hours.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13748 on: December 10, 2020, 07:57:21 AM »
Ouch

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13749 on: December 10, 2020, 08:25:18 AM »

And I second the congratulations on successfully raising good kids

Thanks guys, I’m entering a new phase (kids as adults) pretty easy to guide them when they’re not 18, a little harder when they are and making their own (as dad puts it dumb) choices. Sometimes I guess they have to trip and fall. More prayer because that’s really all you can do sometimes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal