Hello Guest

Author Topic: site improvement  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
site improvement
« on: February 27, 2015, 07:15:59 AM »
so I was having a thought last night and I thought I would be a good idea to throw it up here and see what people think.  keep in mind that I am not wanting to step on anybody's toes, or volunteer them for anything they are not wanting/willing to do.

so one of the main things that this site was created for (from my understanding) was survival????  Well survival can be thought of in many ways and not just SHTF type survival.  There is a lot of AWESOME info on here for SHTF type survival, but what about information to help be better prepared for when the SHTF situations are over, or just relearning how to be self-sufficient and stop relying on others for stuff.

we seem to have a few farmers types that have begun to join and was thinking that with

ken-automotive
higher caliber & JR-law enforcement
several-military (former, retired and currently active)
cuddakid- school teacher
Darren-electriction (trades)
Ashley-earth moving and heavy equipment
shawn, tate and a few others- customer service for equipment
don-creator and main DOT hearder
nate & tracey-food stuff and preserving
ETC

would folks be interested in a section or something that would involve farming, raising livestock, growing food for you and the livestock, maybe some general veterinarian type information to help with raising livestock and pets?

what are some thought that you all would have in regards to this?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:42:49 AM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: site improvement
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 07:44:07 AM »
Dunno...Folks???

How would we frame it up?

Thoughts: Aren't a lot of rebuilding subjects already covered, only labeled differently?

What does a a post collapse society look like anyway...Wouldn't you have to make some assumptions about that condition to offer recommendations?

And it would start to get pretty big and not too focused.

Bear in mind I am only thinking out loud here. It is not as much my site as his and our site in my view.

So let's hear some discussion if there is interest
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 07:46:32 AM »
Sorry if this is a little out there and incomplete.  Like I said, I had the thought while sleeping and needed to get it out there before I forgot it and I was also trying to get out of the house this morning for the mornings physical training session. 
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 08:20:25 AM »
Get your quoffee, Nate

...and Good Morning!

Collect your thoughts

then present it to us

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »
Ensure there's Task,Conditions,Standards... you know all the "fun" Remember we have 2 retired CWOs in our midst and them fancy learned officers like their briefings to standard!
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 10:53:59 AM »
Would love that... one of the drivers for wife and I getting onto a bigger piece of property (soon!) is the ability to have more space for these types of things... definitely a bigger garden, green house, potentially some animals. Love this idea.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 01:08:44 PM »
Wow, big task trying to provide the information needed to provide food sources for yourself long after an event. People that live outside the city most likely have raised a garden of some kind, and maybe even raised a chicken, goat, or a cow or two. The people that have lived the city life forever another story.
Depending on the size, type, and damage of an event would drive the long term needs. We all need to plan for short term survival while working with a network of family and friends that can each help provide for that group. Waiting until the event happens to start growing a garden or finding enough land to be raising animals using information from a website is not the answer in my opinion. Having said that however, if someone wants to start posting up information, it looks like information would be plug and play into already created areas.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
Ok, let’s see if I can get this down in such a way that folks can understand what
I am talking about.  Because I have had my coffee as well as some time to think about how to write this.

So we talk about survival, survival can be looked at / classified in several different
ways. The 2 biggest ways that come to my mind are apocalyptic survival
(SHTF type survival) and general everyday survival.  Both of these two are in essence intertwined and there for you cannot have one without the other.  Here are 3 examples that will hopefully show what it is that I am talking about.

Example 1:  you find yourself in a survival situation where you as a lifelong city dweller have to keep a couple of chickens alive so that you can survive off the meat of those chicken as well as their eggs.  You think to yourself, “I really wish that of all the time I spent looking and reading RMTW&S and saying to myself that things like this will never happen, well here I am and not once with the vast member knowledge did I ever see anything on how to care for and raise chickens!  I really wish that norm or one of those other farmer types would have done something to show folks how this process works and some of the do’s and dont’s”.

Example 2:  you and your family are traveling, and you suddenly find that you have taken a wrong turn somewhere along your route and are now lost in the “back country” (for lack of a better term) and your vehicle starts to sputter and run out of gas.  You say “great let me pull out my handy cell phone and ill just call AAA and have them come tow me”.  Well you suddenly realize that you do not have cellular signal and you don’t have any other means of contacting help.  Your spouse looks at you and says that it’s been quite a while since they have seen any sort of habitation/population so it may not be beneficial to walk anywhere right now.  Well 2 days has gone by and you and your family have eaten every licky and chewy that you had in the vehicle and are starting to get really hungry and thirsty.  You remember that there was a source of water a little ways back and that you will get a couple of containers and go get some water, bring it back, start a fire and purify the water to ensure it is safe for consumption.  “you think to yourself during the walk “thankfully I learned from RMTW&S how to make a fire and to purify water, now if only somebody like duane, ken, other hunters would have shown an example or video on how to maybe catch an animal and gut, skin and prepare it then my family and I would definitely be good to go until help arrives”.

Example 3:  Your thinking about putting a small shed in your back your back yard and make it a DIY project (because you think it can’t be that hard can it?  Well you do your research on how to do all of this and you come to realize that you just don’t quite understand how to do electrical wiring and how a proper foundation can support the structure.  So since you are a member of RMTW&S you happen to know that dmaxdarren is a licensed electrician and can most likely clarify the wiring for you. 

Hopefully you can see what it is that I am trying to get going here.  We have all of this talent and knowledge at our disposal.  Now I am not saying that we need to completely re-develop RMTW&S or that we need to have hundreds of other categories.  I am just saying that our membership may need more incentive to start sharing the abundance of information that they have.  Again, I am not trying to throw anybody under a bus or force them to share information they don’t feel compelled to do so.  This is merely a thought provoking, motivating/motivational thread.   

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 05:19:45 PM »
My reaction is to put together a series of "how to" links to sites that already cover said topics and have resident experts spice it up with "do' n don't" type tips?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 01:03:51 PM »
Another general site improvement suggestion.  I find myself having only a few minutes now and then to catch up on recent posts.  The fastest way is to look at the list of recent topics on the home page.  This works great, but only shows the most recent 5 topics.  Could we expand this to be the most recent 15 or 20 topics?  Then I don't have to go digging through the forum pages to get to the ones I check in on most frequently.  Thanks!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 01:12:01 PM »
Another general site improvement suggestion.  I find myself having only a few minutes now and then to catch up on recent posts.  The fastest way is to look at the list of recent topics on the home page.  This works great, but only shows the most recent 5 topics.  Could we expand this to be the most recent 15 or 20 topics?  Then I don't have to go digging through the forum pages to get to the ones I check in on most frequently.  Thanks!
Didn't know that

My page shows everything that's been tinkered with (DOT Activity)
Let me see if there is a button...Kyle, see anyway of making this mo-better?

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 01:48:15 PM »
I think you're using the "Recent Posts" box on the right of the page... There are also two links on the left that will cover all unread posts. This list doesn't have a cap as far as i know, and goes based on updated threads instead of just posts. Check it out and let me know if that's what you were looking for ;)

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 02:05:43 PM »
Thanks for the quick help!

The recent topics section I asked about is further down the page, not the same as the recent posts section you pointed to (red [).

But the recent unread topics button (your green arrow) does basically the same thing I was looking for.  Though I need to play with it a little to see if I look at a page but don't actually read all the posts and want to look again later it won't show up .... until someone makes a new post in that topic.  But that's probably not a big issue.  At least when a new post is added it will show up again.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 02:37:26 PM »
Ahh i see which one you were looking at, yeah. I don't ever use that section (in fact i have it minimized on my home page i think). I use the links on the left (green arrows), and go from there. In your case, you can read the ones you want, then when you're done, click "mark all as read" and then it'll reset.

That is correct. If you click on it, and don't read all the posts in a thread, it will assume you did... And won't pop back in until there's been a new post.

Best,
Kyle
NRA Life Member

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 05:59:11 PM »
Good job Kyle, shows you are up to the title given you and Don is on top of things by handing off the stuff others can handle "Mo Betta" as he would say.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 06:09:57 PM »
Thanks Bob  ;D
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 08:45:12 PM »
I agree.

Thanks Kyle

I went through the forum pages and member authorizations and could find nothing that applied. I had a sneaking suspicion that we weren't using the upper left button.

So problem solved and everyone is happy, yes?

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 01:29:11 PM »
Yep, I tried out those two new buttons for a while now and they work better than the previous way I had been using.  So I'm a happy camper.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal