Hello Guest

Author Topic: What do you do with a 2006, 115k DMax,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  (Read 42039 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: What do you do with a 2006, 115k DMax,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2015, 06:31:47 PM »
I used to set truck axles with something similar. We used a plate on the ground with a sharpened tube on it to scribe the tire, then measure from there. Worked really well. I may have been closer this time if I was not in the street and used pieces of metal like we used to under the tires.

Just got back from the alignment shop and I was still 1 9/16th out. Talk about scrub! Camber is out 3/10 of a degree, but in spec at least.

Sums it up and why I will put the lift on. Tired of ball joints going out or even thinking of it.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2015, 02:27:16 PM »
Did a little camping these last weeks with the kids. Truck is running fine but found out I have no 4wd low. 4wd high worked fine.

The lift is on the short list now. Doing just some mild wheeling showed the stock "leveled" is a little harsh, has a stiff feel to the front end.

Brakes are squealing bad too, pads are fine. I may get the rotors turned to clean them up.

Camped near Twin Lake at about 8000ft. Great little site, deer running through camp, close to the water lots of shade.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 01:34:33 AM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2015, 03:15:13 PM »
Oh, it was in the 80s. I have no idea why he was wearing the hood.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »
looks like a great spot.  just don't show Darren another wildlife pic, he may start saying its a cat and want to domistacate it.............ROFLMFAO!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2015, 08:24:38 PM »
The great thing about up here is you are far enough to play with these alot. Even for Ca.

Ruger 22/45 with my youngest.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »
Nice place. I couldn't even get near a mountain lake in Az this time of year.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2015, 10:32:05 PM »
JR, my boys were shooting the same gun on the farm this weekend!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2015, 03:43:02 AM »
I like the "quiet" version better. But very hard to get that in this state.

They do shoot nice though don't they? My MP 15/22 is very finicky on ammo. The Ruger likes anything!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2015, 03:49:25 AM »
Nice place. I couldn't even get near a mountain lake in Az this time of year.

There another lake in a little farther west called meadow lake. Bigger but camping is not as good. Blue lakes (upper and lower) get crowded.

One suv, one motorcycle and one helicopter came by while we were there. Yup the heli even landed, kids were jazzed and had to walk out to an island on the dam to go see it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:51:26 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2015, 11:07:10 AM »
AS-350

French helo

Blades turn backwards

French...

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2015, 02:02:34 PM »
Well, its french. Of course they turn backwards!!

3 people in that thing to check some little water level bucket, 8k ft, it was not happy. Had to turn away and fly over the lake to get altitude.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2015, 08:23:36 AM »
Well, its french. Of course they turn backwards!!

3 people in that thing to check some little water level bucket, 8k ft, it was not happy. Had to turn away and fly over the lake to get altitude.
That helo in the B3 configuration is decent, but most of them are French jet rangers

I don't like jet rangers

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2015, 03:13:34 PM »
I can hear a Ranger or a Huey for 5 miles before they arrive. I knew a heli was coming up the canyon, but had no idea what this was until is was there. 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2015, 03:19:07 PM »
OK, back to the max. Had a talk with Tate and it cost me $1300,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (er thanks?)

Since the new tires it lost its drive and mileage is way down. It needed a little help before with the 285s but the 35s put it over the edge. Plus the mild wheeling showed how inflexible the front is with just being cranked up.

Package on the way from Randy's with 4.56 gears for the front and back. Not sure about a locker yet, but I know the gov-lock is not the deal.

So I will get Spartan on the road (waiting on a few parts) and do the gears and lift at the same time.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2015, 04:02:47 PM »
Randys is fast, gears are here. I really want to do the rear soon and look for a front housing to build it before the lift.

The night before the truck was dead, 4 cells were low on water. Filled and charged it up and it ran fine for the day. Dead again today, off the Costco. They have dumped their Kirkland batteries for Interstate. Cost nothing as just 3 years old and these are maintenance free, so we will see. Glad they lasted through the trips in the mountains.

I have changed A LOT of Kirkland batteries after 2-3 years,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2015, 03:12:37 AM »
Man 4 days already!! Been working on life. Spent most of today on the tow bars.

Decided with the lift and the gear change I wanted to build up the front diff before hand so the lift would be smoother. IE, not setting up a diff in the middle of the lift!

Anyway, after a little searching and lots of calls I was having no luck finding a 9.25 housing. So I put an add on Craigslist and the next morning I had 2 calls. 1 guy wanted 3-400 and the other name a fair price. I said 150 and it was a done deal. Had a broken upper mount, but its getting cut off anyway.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2015, 07:06:51 AM »
looking forward to seeing the inside of one of those in the event that I need to get in the one on my LB7
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2015, 08:02:27 AM »
Just hope that the c clip on the driverside releases.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2015, 09:00:24 AM »
Tate sells a E-Locker for that 9.5...The one in my LML has a different housing, E-Locker no fit!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2015, 04:18:50 PM »
E locker no se existe ya. Eaton killed it a few months back since the H2 line is dead and they are no longer mass producing it for GM exclusively. There is also the fact that AAM changed the front design towards Don's style and upwards probably had a lot to do with it too, but if you can find an eaton e locker for a 9.25 ifs GM or solid axle 03+ dodge, buy it because I can't find them any anywhere.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2015, 08:50:59 PM »
Is that the only locker option or does someone like ARB make an Air Locker?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2015, 06:53:22 PM »
ARB is now the only game in town. There is a true trac out there for dodge, but requires major surgery to get the GM snap ring design to work. I have sold it in one application in 6 years.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2015, 10:31:30 AM »
ARB is now the only game in town. There is a true trac out there for dodge, but requires major surgery to get the GM snap ring design to work. I have sold it in one application in 6 years.

Some traction device would be nice, but not in the plan as of now. I did drain the oil so I could move it around and it looked pretty good.

The drivers side front bearing is going again, thats gets done today with my spare. Then it will get new Timkins during the lift.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2015, 09:32:55 PM »
So got the hub replaced, getting good at it  ::) Couldn't find a 6 point 15m and had to get that, one head was rounded but I already had s few new bolts ($6ea).

Cept for the store run it was under 2 hours.

THEN I found that I had slop in the steering that I had just done! Ended up being one of the UBER $$$ Cognito HD tie rod  >:(

Still had my old ones so I grabbed one, matched the lengths (flat to zerk) and bolted it in. The other side was fine and I am back on the road.

This was a cheap hub I had for a spare as the lift looms ever closer with lots of new front end parts!

So what are the other options for the tie rod ends. With the lift they will be in line better with the new knuckles. Stocks are week and need a sleeve at minimum.

What else have you guys used and why did you chose em??

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2015, 10:39:23 PM »
Im about to begin the process of neutering the LB7 from a 12 inch lift to a 6.

I'm eyeballing the Kryptonite system.  Idler mount and arm and Cognito PISK along with the Kryptonite centerlink and tie rods.

Muy Muy Muy $$ but seems to be the way to go and has a lifetime warranty

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2015, 12:44:34 AM »
I have the Cognito center kit and a new idler.

My new kit is the Cognito 4-6 and I already have their UCA. I am about 3 inches now and plane to go right in the 4-5 area. Want to keep it under 7 ft for parking.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2015, 06:26:19 PM »
Im about to begin the process of neutering the LB7 from a 12 inch lift to a 6.

I'm eyeballing the Kryptonite system.  Idler mount and arm and Cognito PISK along with the Kryptonite centerlink and tie rods.

Muy Muy Muy $$ but seems to be the way to go and has a lifetime warranty

Thought you were going to stick a solid front axle under the Bus?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2015, 06:49:27 PM »
I was Bobby, but its, expensive and rides harsh and requires a lot of fabricating and chasing down parts.  I'm just going to completely rebuild all the parts and put a smaller lift on it and then drive it and put free miles on it.  It just hit 137K!  I'll probably park the dually for a while unless I'm towing the redneck hotel

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2015, 09:17:06 AM »
I was Bobby, but its, expensive and rides harsh and requires a lot of fabricating and chasing down parts.  I'm just going to completely rebuild all the parts and put a smaller lift on it and then drive it and put free miles on it.  It just hit 137K!  I'll probably park the dually for a while unless I'm towing the redneck hotel

But it LOOKS cool! But I get your point.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2015, 12:11:23 PM »
Been gathering parts as I finish some yard work. new timken hubs (thx Nate) , Napa HD tie rods with TC sleeves (lifetime warranty)

3 kids in sports, scouts and all the other good stuff slows down build times.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2016, 01:34:01 AM »
Can't believe it has been almost a year on this. Guess an update is in order.

Shuffled things around and this along with a LS engine swap will get done before the Spartan conversion. Spartan has not changed, been getting parts for it. But I need the room and fewer projects before I tackle that engine swap. I even find myself looking on CL for diesel subs, and have found a few but price, location and funds don't meet.

So as I flip the 1500 sub, I will do the lift on this. First here will be the gear swap on the front housing. I am also seriously thinking of going to coilovers on the front (with the IFS) even though I have the no TBD lift. I am now sitting on 130k and it still runs sweet but the ride could be better.

Maybe Ken or Sean can give some input on the CO's? Looks to be almost a bolt in, but I may mode the upper mount and do a brace over the engine. Any thoughts on this guys?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2016, 08:53:06 AM »
My experience with CO's and all off road once you get them dialed in with correct spring rates etc they are great. Not sure I would do them on a DD as there is some maintenance that needs to be kept up on but then again how much do you plan on driving it? The over the engine brace really helps stiffen things up & I always did it. Mine had adjustments at both ends with heims to help dial it in.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2016, 09:58:16 AM »
I don't have any experience with that type of conversion JR. I will say, that if you're starting from scratch, it might take a while ($$$) to get it dialed in just right.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2016, 10:00:20 AM »
What would be the issue with a DD, many vehicles come with them now. I am not a hard core off roader with this at all.

Seems to be lots of info out there on this and some kits, but wow are they $$$$$. Would also not like to drop 2K on a set of CO, but want something solid.

One issue would be the brace since there is not a lot of room over the top the dmax setup.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2016, 12:29:03 PM »
They're considered a high performance piece of equipment. A daily driver needs to drive, why complicate it by installing a component that will need adjustment & routine maintenance. The clause here is maybe they have low maintenance units out there now, all I recall is messing with them all the time. Walk thru the pits of any off road race & you'll quickly see what I mean....

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2016, 01:22:19 PM »
I looked into doing this on my 03 before I decided to sell it.  I found a few guys that had done it.  They appeared to beat on them fairly hard and the last time I checked had over a year with no issues.  They didn't have any extra re-enforcements added.  This was on the DD forum.  Most of the guys that had done it were doing it to lower the front some and remove weight for racing.  There was one or two that were lifted though.  I think there biggest issue was finding the right springs for the application.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2016, 02:09:01 PM »
So lets say I do this. There is what, King, Fox, QA1, Bilstien and probably a few more you guys know of.

I already have Cognito UCA, so what is the maint issue on CO vs keeping em clean?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2016, 10:01:46 PM »
JR, what are you asking? It's a truck, why is being clean a concern. I don't understand, Ken will probably say it's a hippy thing..... ::)

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2016, 10:12:08 PM »
He mentioned they need maintenance, just wondering what?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2016, 09:46:51 AM »
JR, my experience is seals, amount of oil, valving & spring rate tuning. Seals are good for so many cycles this great for an off road toy you "want" to wrench on.

Now with all of this said if there are "kits" which you said were pricey then what you're paying for is their due diligence in taking the time & headache to figure it out for you.

I guess where I'm at (& it is a different place than when I was 20) is that I have to weigh in the pros versus the cons. You drive a Chevy & no offense but they're the closest truck to a Cadillac out there & you want a better ride yet? If you needed to save weight (racing) or needed the room versus a leaf spring setup whatever I get it. But to take a suspension with 50 billion man hours in testing & development to reinvent the wheel I just don't see why you would spend the hard earned dollars on this upgrade if it is in fact an upgrade.

Again this is just me and one opinion but you wouldn't catch me doing this.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2016, 10:13:06 AM »
Changed the #6 glow plug again with an NGK(AC not in stock) vs generic and CES is gone finally.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2016, 10:33:50 AM »
Well Sean, I can't say it rides bad, but think it could be much better. As for shock seals, why would a coilover seal be worse or better than a regular shock? I run bilstien 5100 now which work well.

Now I attribute much of that to having the TB turned up with little down travel. The Cognito UCA help there, but I am using up spindles and upper ball joints. Been through some tie rod ends too. Now much of that will be fixed with the cognito lift I have, bringing things back into alignment. Perhaps with that and new shocks a better ride will occur. Either way I have to get new shocks with the lift and I got the NTBD lift to keep a cleaner look.

Thanks for the input, not sure yet.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2016, 12:58:46 AM »
Anyway, she is running great, but the stock tune just sucks air. (had to see the emissions, passed with flying colors)

Saw a lifted 16 today, but those TB were nasty hanging down. It had less clearance than mine and was taller!

Still like the idea of the CO for the front.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2017, 11:12:01 AM »
Anyone have a GM 2500/3500 CV outer or the whole shaft? Looking to mod my engine stand and need that for my upgrade.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2018, 05:44:40 PM »
Well, with life doing its normal thing all this has been on hold for the past year.

I have decided to go SAS though and found a Dana 60. Selling the cognito stuff will offset its cost. It is a 1988 HP from a F350, 4.10 open (per the billvista code) Mounting is 36.5 and have been researching kits, but looking more like a complete DIY. Need to get Spartan running first since I just paid the tags for another year and need multi pass vehicles.

Got some 37/12.5-17 Coopers MTPs for it too, so the lift is needed for those. Will move the axle 1in forward with 5-6 lift on the SAS.

Also got some carb legal manifolds for the exhaust as I still have to mess with Ca smogs.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2018, 07:28:26 PM »
Those are not my rims, just a pic of the tires,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2018, 09:29:46 PM »
Which cognito lift do you have? The 4-6”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2018, 09:59:13 PM »
Which cognito lift do you have? The 4-6”?

Yep the 4-6 front non torsion bar drop and I have their upper A arms on the truck now. New Timken hubs and few other little things. I just looked and just the kit is $1780. Going to throw it up here, CL and pirate PDQ. Would add the UCA too but they are still in use, those are over $500 now! I figure $1500 for the lift and other stuff, add $300 for the UCA when they come off.

Guess I kinda did put it up here first  :facepalm:   
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:04:41 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2018, 10:02:47 PM »
I’d be interested if I had the cash available :(

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2018, 10:05:33 PM »
That's always the biggie and shipping would be up there.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:07:19 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal